Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Summary: Elrond’s thoughts during the Council of Elrond. This was written for the Middle-earth Express challenge prompt # 18: Shortcut.


2006 MC award nominee

Disclaimers: They’re not mine, I just like to play with them from time to time.
/quote from 'Fellowship of the Ring'/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elrond sighed softly as he listened to the reports being given to the council. Their current situation was dire indeed. The One Ring was now hiding in Rivendell, but it could not remain there. The power of Vilya would not be enough to hold off the combined forces of Sauron. Most of the ideas being presented to the council would not work to protect Arda from the spread of Sauron’s darkness.

If anyone were to hold and attempt to protect the ring, they would fail. Once Sauron learned of its position, he would simply send the full might of his forces against the bearer of the ring, and wrest it away. Taking the ring and casting it into the depths of the ocean would not work either. It would merely delay the inevitable. But once the ring was found again, Sauron would find it and regain his strength then. At that point in time, it was likely that the elves would no longer remain in Arda, and it would be left to whichever races were left to decide the fate of the ring. Elrond did not like the idea of simply postponing the task and foisting the responsibility off on others.

To his mind, there was only one choice that could be made. There was no shortcut possible, no easy solution. The ring must be destroyed in the fires of Orodruin. There was only one question that now remained, who would undertake such a dangerous task? His eyes strayed toward Estel, knowing that he would insist on being involved in any task pertaining to the ring. He still bore the guilt over his distant ancestor’s actions. The very thought of sending his son into Mordor sent a shaft of pain straight through the elven lord’s heart. He would take this task on his own shoulders before he would choose such a path for his son. However, he knew that this journey was not his to take.

Glancing around the circle of those gathered, he began to decide who should join Aragorn. As his eye fell on Frodo, he could not help but close his eyes in despair momentarily. He would not ask this of the young hobbit, but he had a feeling that the current ringbearer was not yet finished with the ring. Though he hated the thought of sending such an innocent into danger, he knew that this task belonged to Frodo more than to any other.

A debate was soon raging about what should be done and who would do such a thing as take the ring to Mount Doom in an attempt to destroy it and end the threat of Sauron. The voices stilled as Frodo’s voice sounded out among all the others.

/"I will take the ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."/

Elrond closed his eyes momentarily as he felt the stirrings of destiny around them. Much as he hated to admit it, this is what must happen.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List