Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

<>Summary: Aragorn and Sam have a talk while Frodo is recovering from his stabbing by the ringwraith. This was written for the Middle-earth Express challenge prompt #16: Trust.

Third place in the Best Fellowship category in the 2006 Mellon Chronicle Awards.

Disclaimers: I don't have any claim to Tolkien's characters and I make no money from this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As Aragorn approached the room where Frodo lay recovering, he spotted a small figure sitting hunched over on a bench overlooking the valley. A soft smile crossed his face as he recognized Samwise Gamgee. Sam had spent nearly every moment at Frodo's bedside since they had arrived at the haven of Imladris.

Aragorn walked over to stand beside Sam's bench. It took a moment before Sam looked up at him. "Oh, mister Strider, I didn't see you there…I mean Aragorn." Sam shook his head as he remembered that Strider was not his real name, but a somewhat derogatory nickname.

With a faint smile, Aragorn took a seat on a bench near Sam. "I do not mind you calling me Strider, Sam. How is Frodo today?"

A slightly worried half-smile crossed Sam's face. "Well, Gandalf assures me that he's doing better. He said they finally got the last sliver of that horrible knife out of his shoulder."

"That is truly good news," Aragorn said. He turned his gaze out over the valley and soaked in the beauty of the view. A contented sigh escaped him as the peace settled into his soul. "I do miss the beauty and calm of this place when I am traveling. It never fails to ease my worries and concerns." A glance over at Sam found another worried frown. "Does it not do the same for you?"

"What?" Sam asked, looking up at Aragorn, having been shaken out of his musings by the question. "Oh, yes, it is beautiful," Sam nearly stuttered his answer, not wanting to offend the man. In all honesty, he had seen little of the view in front of him. He turned to more fully face the man, wanting to set something straight. "I'm sorry."

A startled look crossed Aragorn's face. "For what?"

"For not trusting you when we met." Sam rushed to get the words out. "All you wanted to do was help us and keep us all safe, and I kept telling Mr. Frodo not to trust you. Even on our journey, on Weathertop, I started doubting you again. I even thought, just for a moment, mind you, that you might be in league with those wraiths. Mr. Frodo trusted you nearly from the beginning, but I'm ashamed to say that I didn't. Well, Strider, you've proven yourself true by getting us here and saving Frodo the way you did. I just wanted to let you know that I will never doubt you again. I trust you with my life, and even more importantly, with Mr. Frodo's." That said, he exhaled heavily and watched Aragorn.

"I am honored that you have chosen to trust me," Aragorn told him. "I do not hold your initial doubt against you. You are a stalwart and loyal friend to Frodo, and I know you were only trying to protect him. Frodo is lucky to have a friend such as you. I would consider it a privilege to be considered among your friends as well."

"I'd like that," Sam said with a shy smile, feeling a weight lift off his shoulders at the thought that Aragorn did not hold his earlier behavior against him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List