Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Summary: Arwen wishes for more time with Aragorn.

Disclaimers: Obviously, I'm not Tolkien and I don't own the characters. I'm just borrowing them for a little bit.

Author's notes: This was written for the Middle Earth Express Prompt #12: Time. I seem to be writing a series of short fics revolving around Arwen and Aragorn's love story. So this can be considered a sequel to both Choices and Sweet Surrender, but it is not necessary to have read them first. OK, after a bit of research, it seems that Tolkien never stated how many daughters Aragorn and Arwen had. I'm just writing that there were four daughters along with their only son Eldarion.

'quote from Appendix A: The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I need more time," Arwen whispered.

She traced her fingers along the lines of Aragorn's face. Her fingers touched the lines on his forehead that had been acquired through years of carrying the concerns of a kingdom, brushed along the eyes that would never again stare lovingly into hers, lingered over lips that would never again smile that special smile, the one that could melt her heart. "How could you leave me so soon?" she asked him, knowing there would be no response.

"A hundred and twenty years was not long enough. I need more time; a few more years was not too much to ask, was it? Even a few more weeks or days would have given us more time." Her voice stilled as she realized that even if they had had a thousand years together, Aragorn's death would have come too soon.

A soft, heartbroken sigh filled the room. "At the last, I understand what Ada hoped to protect me from. The thought of continuing in this life without you is more than I can bear. You could have remained with me a few more years, my love. Why did you choose to leave now?"

His recent words resounded in her ears; '…ask whether you would indeed have me wait until I wither and fall from my high seat unmanned and witless.'

"You were still strong and healthy," she told him. "Turn the kingdom over to Eldarion if you wish, but you could have remained with me for years yet. This was too soon, Estel."

Arwen closed her eyes and hung her head, letting the tears come. She knew Estel's reasons for leaving this life now, when it was still his choice. Her heart, though, could not help but wonder why he chose to leave while there were still years in front of them. Part of her felt that Aragorn had chosen to die while still robust and healthy to keep her from having to see him aged and frail, leaving her to take care of him, knowing that she would never age the same way. Even after choosing mortality, Arwen retained her beauty and youthful appearance. She would never succumb to the ravages of time quite as humans did. The same choice that Aragorn had made now lay before her. Just as he did, she could choose the time and place to give up her life.

Feeling her heart breaking in her chest at the thought of going on without him, she knew her time would be soon. She would leave this place and return to a place she had loved in her youth. There, she would release the bonds of this mortal life and find her way back to Aragorn's side. But even now, at the end, she could not regret the choice she had made to join with him. They had lived in bliss for over a hundred years and had five beautiful children. Her only regret was that they had not had more time.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List