Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Summary: Arwen considers sailing from Middle Earth. *movie-verse*

Disclaimer: I don't own Aragorn, Arwen, or any other of Tolkien's characters. I also do not own the lyrics to Broken. The song is sung by Seether and features Amy Lee from Evanescence. It is owned by the author, Shaun Morgan of Seether (I think) and Wind-Up Records. I do not have any claim to the lyrics.

A/N: This is movie-verse, as I don't think this scene ever happened in the books. This was the second story I wrote for the AragornAngst Middle Earth Express challenge Prompt #4:Broken.

-------------------------------------------------------
'…cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away.'

Chorus of 'Broken'
------------------------------------------------------

Arwen stared blindly out at the beauty of Imladris from her balcony. The sight of her home never failed to soothe her fëa and bring joy to her heart, but today she did not even see the sight in front of her eyes. Aragorn had just left with the Fellowship on what would very likely be an impossible mission. He did not plan to return to Imladris, to her. Even if he survived, he would not be coming back.

She had offered him her heart and pledged to join her life with his, and he had rejected her. He had called their love a dream, saying that they could never be anything more. He had even tried to return the Evenstar to her, as though it were nothing more than a trinket. When she had given it to him, it had been a token of her love, her decision to stay with him for the rest of his life and become mortal to be with him. The thought that he would try to return it had hurt her beyond words. She had closed his hand around it and forced him to keep it, saying that it had been a gift. At that, she had turned and practically fled from him. Once she had calmed down in her chambers, she realized that Aragorn had never said that he did not love her.

Truthfully, she would not have believed him had he tried to make that claim. Their love was strong and pure, and he could never lie to her in that manner. His actions and words had come from his concern for her well-being. She knew that her father wanted her to leave and sail to Valinor, away from Middle Earth, away from Aragorn. It seemed that Aragorn agreed with her father. Though she knew that Aragorn loved her, he had apparently decided to give her up for her own good. The thought enraged her at first, but the anger faded, simply leaving her empty. He apparently did not love her enough to give her a choice in the matter. She knew her own heart and her decision still stood. For Aragorn, she would give up her immortality and leave all she had ever known. Her happiness rested solely with him.

The thought of leaving Aragorn behind, of never seeing him again left her heart shattered in a million pieces. She would never be the same again if she sailed, but she saw no other choice before her. Since the decision seemed to have been made for her, she would abide by it, but she would live out the rest of her life as a broken husk, never again feeling love or joy. That would be the legacy of her father and Aragorn's decision.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List