Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Choosing  by docmon

A Dwarf

Dáin considered his options carefully. No longer could they stall Sauron’s messenger with ‘neither yea nor nay.’ The Dwarves were loath to answer yea, for they knew the consequences of possessing one of Sauron’s Rings. Thus, the reply must be nay. But what would be the price?

There was but one who would know how to placate the Enemy safely. Well, one to whom they might put the question. The Men of Dale faced the same dilemma. It was too bitter a thought to seek aid from the Elven King in Mirkwood. But the Elf Lord Elrond, that was an elf Dáin still held in some esteem. He would send one who would speak well for them, would be heard by the Elven Lord, and elicit sound counsel.

He knew the dwarf best suited to the task. Gloín had journeyed much in his day and was acquainted with the wizard Gandalf, a known friend of Elrond. That should earn him all the more respect. And from what he had heard, the hobbit Bilbo, who should also hear of this, was now residing in the Last Homely House. Yes, he would send Gloín.

But he was getting on in years and so would need companions on the long road. A few experienced warriors to aid in fighting any enemies encountered. Gloín had never excelled as a warrior, having preferred to spend his time honing his metalcraft – time well spent, from the work he produced. Ah, yes! His son, Gimli. A fine warrior already, having followed in his grandfather’s footsteps. More than a few battles had notched his axe. And he could offer Gloín the needed companionship on the journey. Yes, Gimli would be a proper escort for Gloín. Gloín would return home with an answer for the Messenger, and Gimli with many tales of the world outside the Lonely Mountain.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List