Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moon Friend: Tales of Isildur  by Elena Tiriel

The Bane


I cannot waver!

Did I not swear by Ithil to oppose unendingly the Dark?

But Sauron is dead! Though at heavy cost — my father, my brother, the Elf-king.

Elrond and Círdan would have me destroy this golden ring, but their urging is misplaced. What harm could come from so innocent a trinket? Hot, heavy — yet strangely reassuring in my hand.

Orodruin's rumbling and the moans of the injured touch my heart. The voices of these meddlesome Elves touch not my reason.

The Dark is defeated. I will take this benign token as weregild for my kin.

I will not waver.


***

[Said] Elrond gravely. ... 'I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories.

'I was the herald of Gil-galad and marched with his host. I was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aiglos and Narsil, none could withstand. I beheld the last combat on the slopes of Orodruin, where Gil-galad died, and Elendil fell, and Narsil broke beneath him; but Sauron himself was overthrown, and Isildur cut the Ring from his hand with the hilt-shard of his father's sword, and took it for his own.'

At this the stranger, Boromir, broke in. ... 'Isildur took it! That is tidings indeed.'

'Alas! yes,' said Elrond. 'Isildur took it, as should not have been. It should have been cast then into Orodruin's fire nigh at hand where it was made. But few marked what Isildur did. He alone stood by his father in that last mortal contest; and by Gil-galad only Círdan stood, and I. But Isildur would not listen to our counsel.

'"This I will have as weregild for my father, and my brother," he said; and therefore whether we would or no, he took it to treasure it. But soon he was betrayed by it to his death; and so it is named in the North Isildur's Bane.'

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 2, Ch 2, The Council of Elrond





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List