Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Frodo's Exciting Day Out  by Llinos

Frodo's Exciting Day Out

by Llinos

beta Marigold

 

Chapter 3
That's Elevenses? Right?

Gandalf was worried, this was taking far too long. The morning was half spent and they still were not even close to the borders of Mordor, but then eagles only go as fast as they go. He was also concerned about their navigation. "Aragorn, are you positive this is the right way? I'm sure we've already passed that forest down there – several times!"

"It's hard to say," the Ranger admitted, "it all looks the same from up here. I think that's Lothlórien, in which case we are at least headed the right way. We could stop and ask.

Gandalf sighed, "Another stop? We really must get on."

"But we're hungry!" Merry and Pippin chorused.

"We've not had elevenses yet," Merry added, "to say nothing of second breakfast!"

"That is true," Frodo agreed. "You can hardly expect a hobbit to save the whole of Middle-earth on less than six meals a day."

"For pity's sake," Gandalf spluttered, "it's only one day, didn't you bring anything?"

"Yessir," Sam checked in his satchel, "We brung two seedcakes, 5 rounds of egg and tomato and 6 rounds of ham and mustard. There was 2 pork pies and some cold chicken and a batch of buttered scones with strawberry jam." Sam delved a little deeper, "all that's left is half a dozen macaroons, the haunch of venison we borrowed and two and a half sticks of rhubarb."

"You've eaten all that already!" Legolas gasped. He had heard that perian were mighty creatures imbued with mysterious powers, but this was extraordinary.

"No," Pippin was quite offended, "the eagles ate one of the seedcakes."

"Very well," Gandalf capitulated, "I suppose it is too much to expect hobbits to exist on such short commons. We'll see if the Lady Galadriel can spare a morsel and set us on our way."

The eagles soared, or rather didn't soar but descended in a soaring kind of way, down to Lothlórien under Cerin Amroth, down to Caras Galadhon and straight into the City of the Trees.

The Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel were waiting to greet them, for they saw many things afar and knew much and had been observing the party since breakfast. In any case, Galadriel was expecting Gandalf and Gwaihir, although she was a bit surprised they had brought so many friends with them.

"Welcome to Lórien the Fair," the Lady spoke first. "Your quest is known to us. Not in vain will it prove, maybe that you came to this land seeking aid, as Gandalf himself has plainly purposed. For the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth and a giver of gifts beyond the power of kings."

"Does that mean we're going to get elevenses?" Pippin whispered to Frodo. "I'd sell my foot-fur right now for a cup of coffee and a sticky bun."

"Just a minute!" Legolas frowned, "who's that?"

"Who?" The Lady Galadriel followed the elf's squinting gaze to just beyond the centre of the circle of elves. "Oh him! He dropped in just before you. Says he got lost in Fangorn and had to hack his way out. Something to do with a cancelled meeting and time on his hands. We don't usually allow dwarves in Lothlórien, but…" The Lady lowered her voice to a mere hint of a whisper, "…he seemed so pathetic and was very flattering to me; I didn't like to turn him away."

"Dwarf?" Aragorn spluttered, "he must be over seven foot tall!"

"It's that bugger who sent me to Moria to stay with his dead uncle!" Legolas strode over and looked belligerently up at the dwarf, "even without my specs I'd know you anywhere. What was the big idea, Gimli son of Glóin? If that Balrog had got an inch closer, I would have been toast!"

"Hruumph," the dwarf half coughed and half grunted in obvious confusion and embarrassment, "sorry about that. I've been having a few problems of my own though, so I must have forgotten that we hadn't actually heard from Uncle Oin for a few years."

"How come he is so big?" Merry tugged at Gandalf's cloak. "Whatever he's on, could we get some?"

"Nay," the dwarf came and stooped over the hobbits and shook his finger in warning, "you younguns had best steer well clear of Fangorn Forest." He straightened up and glanced down at Legolas. "I had a bit of a run in with the ents there. You think you're hard done by. They are a right bunch of jokers. I thought they were being friendly, kept giving me this water to drink. I wasn't that thirsty, but tried to be polite – as you do. I was actually trying to keep myself awake during the poetry readings. Anyway, after about 20 pints I went to kip and woke up twice the dwarf I used to be. Nothing fits and I had to come here and beg some new clothes and stuff."

"That is a sad tale indeed," Legolas succeeded admirably in not laughing too much. "What do you plan to do now?"

"Nothing much," Gimli said glumly, "I can't go home, that's for sure. I actually went to Isengard first, but got short shrift from the wizard there. I did mention to that Treebeard chappie that Saruman could do with sorting out more than me. After all, I only axed about half a dozen trees, whereas he was taking them out as if it were going out of fashion. But he seems a bit slow on the uptake."

"Hmm," Gandalf nodded sagely at this. "I too have a score to settle with Saruman, I may have to pay him a visit before the day is done."

"Well I don't think you'll find him in a very happy state," Gimli explained, "he's had a bit of a flooding problem around there, although I'm not entirely certain that the Ents didn't have something to do with it."

"Right," Gandalf decided, "in that case I'll definitely go and see what he's up to." He turned to Frodo, "You'll be all right with Landroval, won't you? I mean all you have to do is fly over and drop It in."

"Yes," Frodo agreed, "That should be no problem."

"He ain't going without me," Sam folded his arms and set his jaw. "Mr Frodo never dropped anything proper without I was there to pick it up."

"Well Sam," Frodo began gently, "I don't really want you to pick It up, but you are welcome to keep me company."

"All right," Gandalf agreed. "You two go to Mordor and the rest of us will just pop over to Isengard and check what the state of play is there."

"That'll be after elevenses then?" Pippin asked hopefully.

"Oh before you go," Galadriel clapped her hand to her head in sudden remembrance, "something I had to tell you. You've been promoted."

"Really?" Gandalf's face broke into a wide grin, "I was hoping for something soon, but thought I'd have to die or kill something big first."

"Well yes," Galadriel agreed, "you were supposed to. Both of those things actually, but there simply isn't the time. In any event, it's really just dead-men's shoes. You've got the White now. Between you and me, Saruman is on the way out, he's already crossed the line, it's just the formalities really."

"Fine!" Gandalf was quite relieved he didn't have to mess about fighting and dying – so time consuming. "Just let me have the staff – it is a staff promotion I take it? Then I'll be off and break the news to Saruman at the same time."

"Ahem…Gandalf?" Gwaihir scratched up a piece of Lothlórien carpet as he was wont to do when embarrassed. "I don't like to complain, but…"

"Ever am I fated to be your burden, friend at need," Gandalf began.

"A burden you have been, but not so now," Gwaihir noticed that the Wizard had begun to lighten considerably, his beard was almost white already, "it's just all these others. I don't think I can manage any more passengers, I'm already over on the baggage allowance. You'll have to leave the cousin creatures, the elf and the big dwarf here I'm afraid."

"Do not fear," Galadriel soothed, "I foresaw this possibility and asked Radagast to summon more eagles." Sometimes it was handy, the White Lady thought, to be telepathic and farsighted, to say nothing of having a great line in mirrors. "They should be here ere the pre-noontide, ante-prandial, partaking is served."

"That's elevenses? Right?" Pippin nudged Merry hopefully. "We're finally going to get some elevenses!"

 

0-0-0-0-0-0

"Well Sam," Frodo sighed, "it's just you and me then. May the others find a safe road! Strider will look after them. I don't suppose we will see them again."

"Yet we may, Mr Frodo. We may," said Sam. "Besides, you've invited Merry and Pippin to come over for their tea this evening and I've never known them to miss that!"

"Ahem!" Landroval gave a loud aquiline cough. "I don't mean to be rude but…"

"Oh sorry," Frodo had forgotten about their feathery mount, "I meant you too Landroval… oh and I hope you can join us for tea as well!" Frodo added hastily. It doesn't do to forget to invite your transport round for meals.

"Will there be seedcake?" Landroval asked, a little grumpily it must be said.

"I'll bake a whole batch, just for you and your friends." Frodo promised. "And a few worm and beetle cakes too if you like?"

"Don't be disgusting!" The Windlord snorted, "what do you think I am?"

"Um well…" Frodo began, "I just meant…"

"Wait a moment!" Landroval suddenly veered earthwards again so abruptly that Frodo and Sam had to grab each other to save falling off. "What's that down there? Looks like lunch to me!"

"It's all right Sam," Frodo straightened himself up as the eagle righted his path, "you can let go of me now – really!

The eagle continued his downward course until the hobbits also saw what he was aiming for. A wizened up creature that was mostly head and eyes, crawling about on all fours. Landroval pounced and grabbed it easily in his claws and soared skywards once again.

"Aiieeee! No! No! Put usss down!" The creature screamed, "We be too precious to eat! Too much ssskin and bonessses. Gollum, gollum! Put Sméagol back on the floor! We not even be a tasty morsel for the eagleses!"

"Excuse me," Landroval remarked apologetically, "only I haven't had lunch yet and you were handy."

"Noooo! We isss not for eating!" The creature flapped it's great hands and feet as if trying to fly, which he indeed was, but only because Landroval had not yet dropped him. "Even She wouldn't eat poor Sméagol! And She eats orcses and anythings!"

"Who is She?" Landroval's curiosity was piqued now. "A friend of yours?"

"Yes! No! She… She isss the One, the great She-lob of the secret passagesesss!"

"Oh a female spider!" Landroval gave an eagle chortle. "I'm quite partial to a nice big juicy lob!" The eagle shook the skinny being, held it upside down, put it to his ear and then agreed. "You really are not worth bothering with, hardly a mouthful! I'll drop you down and then see if I can find this spider of yours."

"Waits! Pleasssse waits!" Sméagol suddenly screeched at his captor. He had remembered something – something of his that he had lost a long time ago! He clambered up the eagle's leg and scrambled onto his wide back. Pointing a long bony, trembling finger at Frodo, he hissed, "You! You's got our Presssscious!"

 

To Be Continued…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List