Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changing the Past  by Misty

Author's note: the next chapter will not be a twins chapter. I plan to make the next chapter an Aragorn chapter as well, since I have more planned for his storyline. But please read, enjoy and review. :)

Beta: Radbooks

Rating: PG for some battle scenes and angst. Some later chapters might warrant a higher rating.

Disclaimers: I don't own any of Tolkien's characters, settings, or plots. I just like to play in his sandbox. I also make no money off of any of this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Ten

A week after Aragorn learned that Gandalf would not be able to send him home, he chose to take refuge in the library, hoping to find some solitude. Though he knew the others were concerned for him and his apparently uncharacteristic melancholy mood, he could not quite manage to make himself behave in the manner to which they had become accustomed. Now that he knew for a fact he could not return home, it was more difficult to pull out of the melancholy. He missed Arwen and he had barely begun to know Eldarion. Would his son now grow up without a father?

He tried to concentrate on the book of poetry he held. It had always been one of his favorites, but the words did not seem to register in his mind this time. His eyes had been on the same page for the better part of an hour, and he was still unsure what he had read.

The running patter of little feet broke into his musings, and he looked up to see little Aragorn skid around the corner and dash into the library. His face lit up when he saw Eradan sitting in a chair, and he quickly clambered up into his lap.

"What are you up to, penneth?" Eradan asked the small child who was currently trying to hide his face in Eradan's shoulder.

"Hiding," Aragorn said, peeking momentarily up at Eradan before hiding his face again.

Eradan could not help but quirk his lips up in a smile at the logic of children. If they could not see anyone else, they assumed they could not be seen. "Who are you hiding from?" he asked.

"Nana," the child whispered.

"And why are you hiding from your naneth?" Eradan asked patiently, trying to get the full story.

"Nana say nap time. I no take naps," Aragorn peeked up at Eradan again with a grin. "I big boy."

"So you are," Eradan said, smiling back down at the boy. He looked up as Gilraen came around the corner, looking for her son.

"Ah, there you are," she said. She entered the room and made her way toward the small child, who was currently holding tight to Eradan's neck. "I am sorry he bothered you like this, Eradan." As she reached for the boy, he clung all the tighter.

"No nap!" he said loudly in Eradan's ear.

Eradan winced, then placed his hand on the boy's back. "I am not bothered, my Lady. If you would care to leave him here, I can watch him for a time." He nodded down at the child who was now rubbing his eyes with a small fist. It would likely not be long before he fell asleep. "I will return him to his room later," he said, "if that is well with you."

Gilraen paused in thought, watching the young man and her son. She knew that Eradan had been seeking solitude and might not have wished to have that solitude disturbed, but perhaps spending time with the energetic child would help comfort him. The man had refused all attempts and offers of comfort from the others, but perhaps Aragorn would succeed where all others had failed. She nodded to him, knowing that her son was in good hands with this one. "Very well. You can bring him back to our rooms when you are ready." She bent down to kiss the top of Aragorn's head, then straightened and headed for the door. "Thank you, Eradan," she said as she stopped just in the doorframe. Once he nodded to her, she left the room.

Glancing down at the child in his lap, Eradan smiled as Aragorn looked warily around the room. "Gone?" Aragorn asked.

"Yes, little one, she is gone. It looks like you do not have to take your nap today. So what would you like to do?" Eradan watched as Aragorn studied their surroundings to make sure that his mother was not hiding somewhere, ready to jump out and take him off to their rooms so he could take a nap.

Aragorn placed his hand over the book that Eradan had been reading. "Book!" he exclaimed. He loved it when people read stories to him.

Eradan took a few minutes to find an appropriate poem, then began reading. Aragorn settled back against him, his head coming to rest against Eradan's shoulder, with Eradan's arm curled around him to hold the book in front of them both. As he began reading the poem, Eradan could not help but think of the life to which he could not return. During their courtship, Aragorn and Arwen had often read poetry to each other, several times out of this very book. The thoughts of her filled his mind, and he sighed softly as he read aloud to this smaller version of himself.

Little Aragorn apparently picked up on his somber mood and looked upward at his face. "Erda sad?"

Eradan forced his thoughts away from his previous life and focused on the child in his lap. "I'm just thinking of someone, Aragorn. I'm fine."

"Good," he said, snuggling back into Eradan's arms. "Not be sad. My Erda happy."

Eradan smiled softly at the top of Aragorn's head, hugging him gently as he turned back to reading the poetry. It was only another few minutes before Aragorn's head began to droop and his breathing grew calm and even. Eradan read to the end of the poem, then put the book aside, easing back into the chair and cuddling the sleeping child more comfortably in his arms. He could return Aragorn to Gilraen, but things were quiet and peaceful, and he was enjoying this moment of holding a sleeping child. Leaning his head back against the cushion of the chair, he closed his own eyes and allowed the peace of the room to lull him to a half dozing state.

It was only when he heard a softly cleared throat that he opened his eyes again. Finding Gandalf standing in the doorway, he tilted his head toward an empty chair, indicating that he wanted the wizard to join him. Gandalf entered the room and quietly took a seat, not wanting to disturb the sleeping child. Noting the melancholy look in Eradan's eyes, he gave the man an opening to speak, if he wished. "You look quite natural, holding a child."

Eradan gave him a sad smile. "When I left my time, my son had only been one week in the world. Now I do not know if I will ever see him again." He glanced down at the child on his lap. "As odd as the thought is, this may be the closest I will ever come again to having a child to call my own." He shook his head in confusion. "Here I sit, holding, in essence, myself. How did things come to this? How is any of this possible?" Eradan sighed and waved off Gandalf's concerned look. "I know, you cannot, or will not answer, so I will not ask again. But I cannot help but mourn what I have lost, possibly forever."

The wizard watched the man with concern. Ever since finding out Eradan's true identity, he no longer saw the young man that everyone else saw. Behind the youthful face, Gandalf saw a much more experienced man struggling with his grief. "Aragorn," he started, beginning to offer what comfort he could.

A raised hand stopped the words from the wizard's mouth. "It is Eradan, if you will remember." He looked down at the child on his lap. "It would be best if you only ever referred to me as the others do, and it will also be less confusing." Sighing, he glanced back at Gandalf. "In fact, I believe it is time for Eradan to once again be the only one seen. If I remain myself, I am able to do little more than grieve. It is time to allow Eradan to surface and Aragorn to sleep."

Gandalf leaned forward. "I do not know if that is truly the best thing to do. I believe Aragorn's knowledge of the future will be quite useful in ensuring that matters progress as they should."

Eradan shook his head slightly. "And yet that same knowledge is also dangerous. I cannot discuss what I know with anyone. Though I have enjoyed having a friend who knows who I truly am, even with you I must guard my words. I fear saying too much. There are many events that must happen, and not all of them are pleasant. Besides, even when Eradan is the one in the forefront of my mind, I do not forget that which I know, I simply allow the thoughts and emotions of Aragorn to fade. It tends to blunt the grief and concerns that I carry with me. In that, I react more as Eradan would, and less as I would, which can only help my disguise, as it were." Sighing, Eradan ran one hand lightly over his face. "I do not care to cause Arathorn and the others to worry. I have not been blind to the concern in their faces as they watched me. I have simply been unable to bring myself out of this sense of loss. Perhaps if Aragorn fades somewhat, the grief will as well. At least, that is my hope."

Gandalf nodded as he watched the mix of emotions on the man's face. Grief was clearly seen, but a determination was also present. The wizard could well believe that this man was the Chieftain of the Dúnedain and would do whatever was necessary for the good of his people and his world. "Very well," he said softly. He was quiet for a long moment as he watched the man. "If you do not mind, I will keep in contact with you as best I can. I would appreciate knowing if you see differences between the history you remember and the progression of events here. Perhaps between the two of us, we can keep history on its proper course."

"Of course I do not mind," Eradan replied. "As I said, I enjoy having one person who knows me for myself. Even if you do not have the memories of our long years of friendship, I do. I would appreciate keeping in contact with you as well, and there is no other I would trust so easily with this knowledge." Looking down again at the child in his lap, he smiled slightly. "And now, if you will excuse me, I should return this little one to his mother."

Gandalf nodded as Eradan stood and carried the child back to Arathorn and Gilraen's rooms. Every time he saw the two of them together, he could not help but be amazed at the thought that they were two versions of the same person.

Over the next few days, he was somewhat saddened to see Aragorn withdraw and Eradan once again take his place. This was not the battle that Gandalf had previously witnessed, with Aragorn trying to suppress himself so that only Eradan was seen, but more a gradual surrender. Little by little, the elder, experienced warrior faded, to be replaced by the younger, more curious and enthusiastic Ranger. It seemed to the wizard that this was a deeper submersion than the one he had previously witnessed, and was not sure he was comfortable with what he was watching. He only hoped the man did not bury his true self so deeply that he would not be able to recall his life and the version of history he had lived. That knowledge would likely be necessary as time progressed.

After another couple of weeks, Arathorn announced at dinner that they would be riding out in two days to rejoin the patrols. He glanced at Eradan as he spoke. The young man had been quiet of late, withdrawn, though he seemed to be coming out of it. The bright, inquisitive and often playful youth had seemingly vanished for a time, replaced by a serious man who was not able to take joy in the life and beauty around him. He knew that Eradan was finally grieving the loss of his father, but it seemed as if there was something more that was bothering him. The sons of Elrond had made numerous attempts to engage him in the playful banter that he had so enjoyed. Their efforts usually received a small smile of gratitude for their friendship, but rarely resulted in him joining in and responding in kind. It was only in the last week that the young man had once again begun to laugh and resume his previous banter.

Arathorn had been worried enough that he had discussed the matter some time ago with Elrond and Gandalf. The wizard had simply suggested that he allow the man some time to learn how to live with his losses. Elrond, on the other hand, had shared his concern and had even suggested that he allow Eradan to remain in Imladris when Arathorn left on the next patrol. Arathorn had not told Eradan of the offer, hoping that the man would seem more himself before the time came to leave. Now that the time drew near and the young man had only just begun to return to his former self, he decided to inform him of the offer. Imladris was renowned as a place of healing. Perhaps he would be able to continue his healing more readily in the protected valley than on patrol.

After the meal, Arathorn called Eradan and Elrond into the library. A slight nod informed Elrond what topic Arathorn planned to broach. Arathorn gestured for Eradan to take a seat, then sat nearby. Elrond stood apart, allowing Arathorn to speak his piece. Eradan glanced back and forth between them, obviously wondering what this meeting was about.

Arathorn stared steadily at Eradan, and the young man held his gaze easily, waiting for the other to speak. "I have been glad to see you begin to emerge from your grief over these last few days," Arathorn began. "We have been concerned for your well-being during our stay here, and it lightens my heart to see you able to smile again." Arathorn glanced aside at Elrond before focusing back on Eradan. "In order to further your healing from this grief, Lord Elrond has offered the hospitality of his home. If you wish, you may stay here for the duration of the current patrol, and join us again for the next. This is a place of healing and rest, and I would see you find that healing from your grief."

Eradan kept his face as impassive as he could. Bowing his head toward Elrond, he began to speak. "I appreciate the offer, my lord, but I cannot accept it." He looked back to Arathorn. "My place, and my duty is at your side, and I will not shirk that duty. Your concern honors me, but I am in no need of such favors. I am well enough to join you on patrol. I swear that I will not be a danger to you, myself, or any other on the patrol."

Arathorn gazed at Eradan in some consternation. "I never thought you would be a danger, Eradan. I know how much you enjoy your time here, and I have seen the depth of your grief. I simply wanted to give you a chance to recover fully before you once again ride out with the patrols."

Eradan inclined his head toward him. "And as I said, I appreciate your concern and thoughtfulness, but I cannot remain here while you are on patrol. Yes, I enjoy learning the skills of a healer at Lord Elrond's side. I enjoy learning how to track and fight with Elladan and Elrohir. There is much I enjoy about this place and the people who live here, and were you to stay here, I would gladly remain as well. You are my chieftain, my lord, and my place is at your side. I will not leave you."

Eradan held Arathorn's gaze and the determination in his voice made it quite clear that he would not budge. He had made his choice, and short of making it an order, Arathorn knew that he would not be able to convince Eradan to stay behind. Inclining his head, Arathorn gave in. "Very well, Eradan. When I leave here two days hence, you will be at my side. It seems I could hardly pry you loose if I tried."

A faint flush crept up Eradan's cheeks as he heard the amusement in Arathorn's voice. Perhaps he had been a bit more forceful than a young ranger should be. He tried to respond in the same light manner that Arathorn had used. "I am your bodyguard, after all, my lord," he said, with a small smile. "What kind of bodyguard would I be if I allowed you to leave without me?"

Elrond raised an eyebrow as he glanced back and forth between the Chieftain and the rather inexperienced and much younger Ranger. "Bodyguard?" His tone of voice was somewhat disapproving.

Arathorn raised a hand toward Elrond to halt the elf lord's disapproval. "He is not my bodyguard in truth. When we were trapped in the cave, Eradan commented that I seemed to need a protector, and volunteered himself for the position." He turned a small smile toward the younger man. "Our young ranger seems to believe that I am not capable of watching out for myself."

Eradan returned a mischievous smile. "I did not make that claim, my lord. I had simply noticed that in two patrols with you, I had saved your life twice. It seemed to me that you needed a protector, and who better than someone who had successfully done so twice?"

Elrond allowed a small smile as he watched Arathorn and Eradan. The young man seemed much more at ease here than he had for many days. It was good to hear him jest with the others again, and to see that spark of mischief that had drawn his sons to befriend the ranger. Perhaps his offer would not be needed after all. With a nod, he left Arathorn and Eradan alone in the library to discuss the details of the patrol. Elrond knew that Arathorn had not spoken of the next patrol with Eradan before this, so he would have much to tell the young man.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Eradan found Elladan and Elrohir on the training field. Taking a seat on the ground nearby, he watched as the twins sparred, admiring their deadly grace. It was something he never tired of, watching them. Though his skills were great, nearly unmatched among men, he would never compare to their level of skill and grace. They continued sparring for many minutes before they noticed him watching and called a brief halt. As the twins sat down nearby, Elladan leaned back upon his hands, stretching his legs out in front of him.

"Adar tells us that you will be leaving with Arathorn upon the morn," the elder twin said, watching the young man.

Eradan nodded. "Yes. While I appreciated your father's offer to remain here, I cannot stay behind while my Chieftain rides on patrol. I will not shirk my duties."

Elrohir shook his head. "None would consider it shirking your duties if you have Arathorn's blessing and are remaining in order to heal." He paused for a moment before adding something he was not sure he should. "It would please me if you were to remain for a time. I have come to consider you a friend, and you have proven yourself an apt student. I will miss our training sessions."

A smile crossed Eradan's face as he regarded the younger twin. "As will I. However, I will return with Arathorn whenever he comes back to Imladris. And from what you and he have said, you join several of his patrols, so I will soon be able to continue my training with you. It is only an interruption, not a cessation to our time together." Eradan sobered, the smile vanishing from his face. "However, while I am gone, I have a favor I wish to ask."

Elladan sat up straighter, nodding as Elrohir encouraged him to continue.

"Aragorn has come to think of me as his friend, or his brother," Eradan began slowly. "And I could not help but notice that there are no children or elflings here. He has none near his age to play with. It is not good for a child to grow up alone, having none with whom he can play and be a child. I have made an effort to take this role and allow him to be the child he is, but when I am gone, he has only his mother to play with him. If you would be so kind as to take over my role while I am absent, I would appreciate it."

The twins glanced back and forth between themselves, Elladan's eyebrow arched high. "You want us to play with the child?" he asked in a slightly disbelieving tone of voice. "In case you had not noticed, we are not exactly near enough his age to be appropriate playmates."

Eradan sighed, not expecting to have to persuade the twins to take on the role they had taken in his life. Shaking his head in frustration, he glared at Elladan. "Though I may seem a child to you, I am not near Aragorn's age either. You do not have to be a child to play with one." He stared at the twins, urging them to understand. "Please, I feel this is important to his future. It cannot be that difficult to play with a child. You simply spend time with him, and let him direct the activities. He has quite an imagination, and will usually tell you what he wants to do, or how he wants you to act. Simply follow his lead, and you can keep him quite happy."

Elrohir held a hand up to halt anything Elladan might say. "If this is important to you, we will make the attempt. I cannot be sure that he will think us acceptable substitutes for you, but we will try." He met Eradan's gaze steadily.

Nodding, Eradan accepted the promise. "Thank you."

Elladan shook his head at the thought of what his brother had just promised for them both. But perhaps it would not be too difficult a task. He just did not know what a two-year-old child would expect of his playmates. Well, he supposed they would figure it out eventually. Standing, he looked down at the two still sitting on the ground. "Well, before you leave, are you ready for one more lesson?" His grin was feral as he watched Eradan.

A wide grin crossed Eradan's face. "I am always ready to learn," he said easily, standing and walking toward the open area usually used for sword practice. "Who am I sparring with today?"

"That would be me," Elladan said, glancing aside at Elrohir to make sure his brother did not want to claim this session. Elrohir nodded slightly to Elladan, indicating that he would take the role of instructor while Elladan sparred with the young ranger.

Eradan pulled his sword out of its scabbard and readied himself for the lesson. He would enjoy this one as much as he could, as it would be the last for some time. The patrol they were heading out on would last for several months this time. Elladan took his place opposite Eradan, and the lesson began.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Eradan and Arathorn were ready to leave shortly after sun-up. Elrond and his sons, as well as Gilraen, were there to see them off. Aragorn was still sleeping, and they had said their good-byes to him the night before. Eradan clasped arms with the twins and reminded them of their promise to him. They nodded and wished him well. Arathorn spoke quietly for a few moments with Gilraen, and then it was time for them to leave. Mounting their horses, they looked back at the others for a brief moment, then turned and headed down the path, away from the sheltered valley. The rest of their patrol was waiting for them in a nearby village. It would include two of the Dúnedain from their last patrol, Baran and Tarcil, and two new members. Though Eradan wanted to stay in Imladris in order to ensure that the correct course of history was followed with regards to young Aragorn, he truly did feel that he should remain by Arathorn's side. Besides the fact that it was his duty as a ranger, he wanted to spend as much time as he could with the father he had never had a chance to know. As they left the valley behind, he was of two minds, and he did not know if he had chosen correctly. But, having chosen, he must now live with that choice, whatever may follow.

As the months of the patrol passed, Eradan's fears for the future began to ease as he settled once more into the life of a Ranger. In this time and place, his lot was much easier than it had ever been on his previous patrols. He was not expected to lead, or to make any decisions as to the best way to proceed. Now, as the youngest member of the patrol, he was expected to learn, which he did, so quickly as to amaze the other Dúnedain, and to follow orders. His opinion was sought, but usually as a learning exercise, and the final decisions always lay in the hands of others. They had the occasional encounter with orcs, and always emerged mostly intact. The training as a healer that he had begun with Elrond and the twins seemed to be necessary rather often, and he quickly earned the respect of all the members of his patrol for his healing skills as well as his quick mind and fighting prowess.

At the end of the patrol, Eradan and Arathorn were able to return to Imladris with only a few new scars to their names. As they approached the main house and dismounted from their horses, they were met by a small bundle of energy rushing to impact with Arathorn's legs.

Arathorn grabbed his son and lifted him high above his head, the child squealing in delight. "My, you have grown!" Arathorn exclaimed as he brought the squirming child back down to rest on his hip.

"I three now," Aragorn explained to his father proudly. "I big boy."

"Yes, you certainly are," Arathorn said, a smile on his face as he tickled his son.

Eradan smiled as Aragorn's squeals of laughter rang about them. He knew that Arathorn had not wanted to miss Aragorn's third birthday, but it was something that could not have been helped. It was simply the life of the Dúnedain in these dangerous times. The men rode out on patrol to keep their families and the other free peoples of Arda safe, and their own desires meant little against that.

"Erdan!" Eradan glanced downward at the child now standing in front of him. "Come play!" Aragorn reached up and grabbed hold of Eradan's hand, pulling him toward the house. Eradan looked back at Arathorn, he needed to take care of his horse after the long ride.

"Go ahead," Arathorn told him easily. "I will see to your horse. It seems my son has other plans for you at the moment."

Bowing his head slightly toward his chieftain, he allowed the child to pull him to his favorite play area. Aragorn had a set of carved wooden animals scattered on the floor of his play room, and he placed a horse and a dog into Eradan's hands. "You horsie and doggie," he said, reaching down and grabbing a rabbit and a wolf in his own hands. "I woof and rab'it."

Eradan could not help but smile at the interesting mix of animals Aragorn had chosen. He thought Aragorn would likely not be playing by the same rules that the animals naturally would, or the rabbit would soon be the prey of the wolf. Holding the animals and moving them along the floor as if they were walking, he barked like a dog and allowed Aragorn to lead the play. If Eradan did something the child did not like, he would correct the man and show him the 'correct' way to play.

Nearly an hour later, a knock sounded on the door, and Eradan glanced up to see Elladan and Elrohir standing in the doorway. "Arathorn told us we would find you here," Elrohir said with a smile, watching the two humans play on the floor.

"Elladan, Elrohir!" Eradan exclaimed. "I am glad to see you both. Please, come in and join us." He gestured toward two chairs nearby. The twins exchanged a quick glance that Eradan was not sure how to interpret, then entered the room and took the seats he had indicated.

"You seem well," Elrohir said as they studied the young ranger.

"I am well enough," Eradan replied. He gave them a quick grin. "I have even managed to return from patrol with no injuries."

Elladan returned a small smile. "That is quite good to hear. So, your patrol was uneventful?"

Eradan glanced at Aragorn and shook his head slightly, indicating he would tell them of the patrol at a later time, when there was not a pair of little ears listening to every word. "It went well," he answered easily. He looked back down at Aragorn. "Have you had fun playing with Elladan and Elrohir while I've been gone?"

Aragorn looked up at the elves with wide eyes, then looked back at Eradan. "I play wif Nana." He moved closer to Eradan. "Not them."

Eradan eyed the small boy, then looked back at the twins. "Is that so?"

Elladan met Eradan's gaze. "Perhaps we should discuss this elsewhere."

Nodding, Eradan ruffled Aragorn's hair, then stood up. "I will return in a moment, Aragorn." He shook his head to stifle the boy's protests. "I will not be long, I promise." With a small pout and a nod, Aragorn agreed to allow Eradan to leave. Waving the twins to join him, Eradan headed to an adjoining room and shut the door behind him. He stared at the twins for a moment.

Elrohir held up a hand to forestall his question. "We did not intend to renege on our promise, Eradan. But I believe you failed to acquire the necessary permission to ask such a thing of us."

A frown of puzzlement crossed Eradan's face. "Permission?" he asked.

"From Gilraen," Elladan explained. "It seems that she was none too pleased at our offer to be his playmates."

Eradan gaped at him in astonishment. "Why would Gilraen not allow you to play with him?"

Elrohir shrugged. "She failed to share her reasons with us. We made one attempt to engage him in play, and Gilraen approached us and practically ushered us from the room. While she was not rude about it, she claimed that we surely had more important things to do than entertain her son, and made it quite clear that we should not make another attempt."

Frowning, Eradan stared at the twins. "That seems very odd to me. I can not think of a reason for her to keep you away from Aragorn." He shook his head. "I am sorry that I did not think to ask Gilraen first, but I did not think there would be any issue with this."

Elladan waved off his apology, turning his attention to other matters. "So, did you encounter any troubles on your patrol?"

"Just the occasional orc attack," Eradan said. "There seem to be a great many in number," he reported. The twins nodded, having noticed the same thing on their patrols. They spent another few minutes discussing Eradan's recent patrol before the man returned to play with Aragorn as promised.

That evening, after Aragorn had been put to bed, Eradan found Gilraen alone in a sitting room, reading by candlelight. Deciding to ask about her reasons for rebuffing the twins, he knocked on the doorframe. "My lady?"

Gilraen looked up at Eradan, and a smile crossed her face. "Yes, please come in Eradan." She waved him to a seat across from her. "What may I do for you?" She had come to like this young ranger that rode with her husband. He seemed to genuinely enjoy spending time with her son, and had proven his loyalty to her husband. She wondered what he might want with her, since he rarely spent time in her presence unless she was with the others.

Eradan hesitated before broaching what could be a touchy subject. "My lady, before we left on this last patrol, I asked the sons of Elrond to make an effort to befriend Aragorn." He watched her face as he spoke.

A look of dismay crossed her face as she stared back at him. "I wish you had not done that. Why would you have asked such a thing without conferring with either me or Arathorn?"

"It has not escaped my notice that there are no small children in this place, either Edain or Elven. I wanted Aragorn to have someone to play with. It is not good for a child to grow up with only adults around him." Eradan ducked his head a little. "It is why I have made such an effort to be his friend." A smile crossed his face. "Not that being his friend has been a hardship on me at all. I truly do enjoy playing with him. I simply did not want to be his only friend, as I am gone a great deal of time on patrol."

Gilraen took a deep breath. "I see that your heart is in the correct place, Eradan, but please do not make such decisions about my son and his life without consulting his parents first."

"Why do you not wish them to spend time with him?" Eradan asked. "They have been great friends to me, and I know that they can be great friends and allies to your son as well."

"Allies," Gilraen snorted lightly. "That is the heart of the matter. You men seek to make alliances with powerful warriors or others who can help you when you choose your friendships. I have heard great praise of the sons of Elrond, their skills in fighting, their knowledge of the tactics of battle, the number of orcs they have killed. I do not want allies for my son in his childhood, I want true friends, as you have become."

Eradan stared at her in confusion. "We do not only choose those who can help us when choosing our friends," he protested. "I value the heart of a person, not his fighting skills."

"Perhaps," Gilraen allowed, "but the matter still stands thus. When the time comes for Aragorn to be trained in battle, and I am not so naïve to think that day will not come, I will be glad to have them train him. I would have him learn to fight as best he can, to ensure his survival. They will train him in all the skills he will need, as they have begun training you. He will learn how to fight with a blade and a bow, he will learn all the tactics they can teach him." A distant look came into her eyes as she thought about the sons of Elrond. "While I value their skills and abilities to train him, I do not want him getting too close to them while he is so young. There is something in their eyes at times that chills my heart. They have seen much evil, and allowed too much of it to affect them." She shook off the thought, then turned back to Eradan. "As he will learn history, diplomacy, and healing from Elrond and his advisors, he will learn to fight from those who are best able to train him. But that will come in the proper time. For now, I want him to enjoy being a child."

Trying not to show his frustration, Eradan stared at her. "There is more to them than simply their skills as warriors. They are loyal and protective and can be the greatest friends a person will ever have. You must give him and them, the chance to develop that friendship."

"I must?" Her eyebrows rose with a familiar arch, and Eradan winced. Whether she knew it or not, he was facing his mother, and he had never quite dared talk back to her when she had that expression. He usually ended up being sent to his room when she looked at him like that. "I appreciate that you care about my son, Eradan, and that you only want what is best for him, but I do not appreciate hearing from you how I should raise my son. You would do best to keep such opinions to yourself."

Eradan bowed his head to her. "Forgive me, my lady. I did not mean to speak out of turn. I merely thought that he could gain a great deal by making friends with the twins. You do not know what he will miss out on if they are not part of his life."

Gilraen glowered at him, and he lowered his head from the intensity of her gaze. "This is the last I will hear of this, Eradan, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, my lady." It was truly all Eradan could say at that moment.

When he did not say anything further, Gilraen stood and looked down at him. "Good evening, Eradan."

"Good evening, my lady," he replied before she nodded and walked out of the room. He sighed and leaned his head back against his chair. "That did not go well." He stood up and began pacing through the room, not sure what he could now do to ensure that events occurred as they should. History was changing, and he did not know how to fix it. How would this change influence future events? In his time, Gilraen had not protested his friendship with the twins. Indeed, she had even encouraged them to play with him, but Eradan had not been there for Estel, nor Arathorn. Perhaps Gilraen thought they were enough. Estel had not had contact with humans other than his mother as he had grown, but perhaps now that Aragorn had Eradan and Arathorn, Gilraen wanted Aragorn kept more remote from the elves around him. It seemed that she and Aragorn were merely living here as visitors, not as family. Worrying how such a thing would affect the future would do no good, as it seemed this was one thing he could not change, at least, not yet.

Deciding that working out his frustrations was necessary, he strode to his rooms to gather his weapons and made his way to the training fields, hoping the twins would be there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Over the course of the next two years, Eradan tried his best to bring the twins and Aragorn closer together, without defying Gilraen outright. If he were playing with the child, and either of the twins happened by, he would invite them to join him. But those instances only pointed out how drastically things had changed. Either Aragorn had picked up on his mother's uneasiness around the twins, or on their discomfort around him, but either way, he was not his usual outgoing self with them nearby. The child would be quieter, clinging to Eradan. Both of the twins, though they tried, could not hide the fact that they were not sure how to play with one so young. Eradan and Arathorn were Aragorn's playmates when they were in Imladris, and when they were not, he had only Gilraen.

Gilraen, though she was quite grateful to the elves for sheltering and protecting them, held her distance from them. She would eat at the family table and discuss her day like any member of the family, but it was clear to all that she and Aragorn were visitors, not truly family. Though he grieved this fact, Eradan did not know what he could do to change things. Speaking with Gilraen did not seem to help, and Arathorn did not see that there was any problem if Gilraen did not consider the elves family. Eradan wished to speak to Elrond about this matter, but did not know how to broach the topic without alerting the elf lord to the fact that he had knowledge of the future that not even the gift of foresight could explain.

During their patrols with the Dúnedain, Eradan continued his training, and was constantly at Arathorn's side. He was even present during meetings between Arathorn and his advisors, though he stayed in the background and simply observed. After each meeting, whether they were discussing tactics, patrol regions, or negotiating with traders, Arathorn would take Eradan aside and they would rehash the meeting. Eradan knew that Arathorn was using it as training, asking what he observed, how he read the people involved, or asking his opinion on the matters up for debate. In these private meetings, Eradan was honest in telling what he had seen and what he thought, and noticed that in many cases, Arathorn shared his opinion. When they disagreed, Arathorn would hear him out and they would enjoy arguing their viewpoints.

Arathorn came to enjoy his private meetings with Eradan. The young man was full of insights and had great powers of observation. The Chieftain valued the man's views and opinions, even when he did not agree with them. Eradan made a wonderful sounding board, and would often help him clarify his own viewpoints, whether by pointing out a detail that had slipped by him, or by arguing the opposing side and forcing Arathorn to look at every possible aspect of the issue to defend his own views. It was quite clear to the others under his command that he was grooming the young ranger to become his second in command. One day, when Aragorn was old enough, he would ask Eradan to join his son's patrols and guide the lad as he learned all he needed to know to take over as the Chieftain of the Dúnedain when Arathorn's time was over. It would take time for Eradan to learn all he needed and grow to become the leader Arathorn knew he could be, but by the time Aragorn was ready, Eradan would make an excellent second and advisor. Arathorn watched over and tended to the younger man's progress with a paternal eye, and was pleased when Eradan responded to him as a son would to his father. They grew quite close during their patrols and it greatly pleased Arathorn to see how completely Eradan had become a part of his family. Aragorn already treated Eradan as an older brother, and Gilraen seemed quite content to have Eradan take on that role.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The summer after Aragorn turned five, Arathorn and Eradan returned to Imladris after a long patrol. They had been gone for six months, patrolling some of the more distant villages of the Dúnedain. Though they were both very weary, they were also quite excited about returning to a place that had become as much home as either of them currently had. As they reined their horses to a stop in front of the Last Homely House, they looked around with anticipation, hoping to see their families.

A fond smile crossed Eradan's face as he saw Aragorn come racing out of the house and launch himself into his father's arms. Dismounting from his own horse, Eradan nodded in respect to Elrond, who had followed Aragorn outside. It seemed that the twins were either not in the valley at the time, or not available, as they did not come to greet him. Eradan smiled as he listened to Aragorn telling his father everything he could think of to say, trying to fit the last six months of his life into a few minutes. Arathorn's eyes drifted to the doorway when he saw Gilraen step into the courtyard. His eyes widened in surprise, and Eradan shifted his gaze away from Arathorn and Aragorn to see what had so surprised Arathorn. His breath caught in his throat as he saw Gilraen fully. She was smiling as she approached her husband and son, but Eradan found he could barely breathe as he saw the rounded contours of her abdomen.

'It cannot be!' As odd as the thought was, it was the only one to cross his mind. He watched in a daze as Arathorn approached his wife and swept her up in a joyful hug. It was all he could do to return the smile when Arathorn turned around to face him.

"Eradan! It seems that our family is growing. Gilraen and I are to have another child!" The Chieftain's face was glowing with pride and love for his wife and the thought that there would be a second child.

Forcing a wide smile, Eradan bowed to them. "Congratulations to you both. I am very happy for the both of you, and you as well," he said, kneeling to hug Aragorn as the child ran to his arms. "It seems that you will be a big brother. Are you ready for such a thing?"

"Yes, Eradan," Aragorn replied happily. "I hope it's a boy. I want a little brother to play with." He did not stay long enough for Eradan to reply, running back to his father's side.

Eradan watched as the family made their way into the house, all speaking excitedly about the news. He felt numb inside, not sure how to respond to this change to the history he had lived. Another child! How would this affect the events to come? Shaking his head sharply, he realized that he could not stand here staring after the others with a stunned look on his face. Grabbing the reins of the horses, he made his way slowly to the stables, unaware that he had been watched by a figure in the shade of the house. He found refuge in the familiar motions of caring for the horses after their journey. When asked, he allowed an elf to take their bags into the house, not wanting to return there just yet.

Once the horses were seen to, he made his way into the gardens, trying to find a place to think and be alone. He could not return to the house until he had his emotions under better control. It was only due to the surprise and the joy in the moment that he had been able to hide his confusion from Arathorn. Although, this news might distract the Chieftain for some time to come, he thought. Finding himself in a secluded corner of the garden, he ducked under the low-hanging branches of a weeping willow and sat down, closing his eyes as he sagged back against the tree. His thoughts were whirling around in his head too quickly for him to even be able to catch one long enough to examine it. This was the last thing he had ever expected, and yet, was it such a far stretch after all? Arathorn and Gilraen had been married now three years longer than they had been in his world. A second child was hardly unheard of for married couples. But the very thought of a younger sibling for Aragorn was enough to make his head spin. How would this affect Aragorn's life? What if they had more children? How would this affect the future of all of Arda?

The thoughts that whirled in his mind distracted him so that he did not hear the approach of another.

"So, am I to understand this was not a happy surprise?"

Eradan opened his eyes and jerked his head up in reaction to the voice. He knew who it was the moment he heard the distinctive voice, and for a long moment, all he could do was stare at the person who had intruded on his solitude. Inclining his head, he gestured for the other to take a seat. Eradan just shook his head in confusion. "I am not sure what to think of this," he confided. "Things have changed beyond anything I could have imagined, and I do not know what effect this will have."

Gandalf stared at the seemingly young man, and saw the dizzying confusion in the man's eyes. They sat in silence for many minutes before the wizard spoke.

"Have you taken the time to study some of the tapestries hanging in the halls of Imladris?" he inquired idly.

Staring at the wizard, Eradan nodded slowly, trying to determine what tapestries had to do with Gilraen's pregnancy. "Yes, on many occasions," he answered politely.

"They are all beautiful, do you not agree?" Gandalf continued. "Each one unique, expertly crafted, but all beautiful in their own ways."

Eradan merely nodded, knowing better than to ask the wizard what he was talking about. If Gandalf had a point to make, he would get to it in his own time, and there was little he could do to hurry it along.

"But have you ever seen one while it was being made?" he asked the man, continuing when Eradan shook his head. "When a tapestry is being made, it can be quite confusing to one who is not familiar with the method. New strands are added, as others are removed. Colors are brought to the front, then relegated to the back, as the weaver sees fit. Only the weaver sees the full picture, knows what the final image will be. Would you go into the weaver's work room and tell her which strands do or do not belong? Could you decide what colors should be used when you do not know what the final tapestry should look like?"

As he saw what Gandalf was trying to say, Eradan sat up straighter. "But I know what the final image should be, in this case," he protested. "And this particular strand did not exist in the original tapestry. What if the addition of one strand has the power to alter the final image beyond recognition, ruining the tapestry?"

"And what if it merely changes the final image?" Gandalf countered. "You are not the weaver of this tapestry, even if you do know more of the final image than most. Perhaps it will have a different image, but be just as beautiful as the original? The weaver of this tapestry is more powerful than any on Arda, Aragorn," Gandalf said softly, speaking the name he seldom did, to get the man's full attention. "Ilúvatar can take the changes that have occurred and weave a tapestry just as beautiful. I can understand that you worry over elements that are different in this world than the one you remember. Knowing that you made the first change, you feel responsible for everything that changes from that point on. But remember that someone else put you here, that was not your doing. Until you discover more about why you were sent back into the past, you must try to live your life the best you can and not worry over things that are out of your control."

"How can I not worry?" Eradan burst out. "There was a good outcome in my lifetime, and I need to be sure that nothing changes to alter that. If too many things change, that outcome may not come to pass, and that would be disastrous for all of Arda!"

Narrowing his eyes, Gandalf stared intently at the man. Eradan paled and dropped his gaze, apparently afraid he had said too much. That was more than Aragorn had said of the events of the future up to now. His curiosity was roused, but he knew that the man would say no more than had already been said, and so Gandalf was forced to let the matter drop for now.

"Just trust," Gandalf said softly. "You are not in control of this life and all the events that occur. Enjoy the time you have with those you love and live the life you have here as fully as you can." He leaned over to meet the man's eyes. "A child is being brought into this world, Aragorn. How can that be a bad thing?"

Aragorn looked up and met his eyes, and Gandalf could see the fight that still raged within him as he tried to decide how he should react. After a long moment, the battle stilled and a peace seemed to settle over the man. "You are correct, as usual," he said with a small smile. "A child is a blessing, and should not be feared. Perhaps I was supposed to have had a sibling, but my father was killed before that could come to pass. Elladan and Elrohir took on the role of my brothers, but it is possible that I was always intended to have a blood sibling. I will take your advice and simply live my life, taking joy in the family that I have in Arathorn, Gilraen, Aragorn and now a new child. It is perhaps not the relationship I would have wished with them, but they do consider me family." A thought occurred to him, and he looked at the wizard sitting across from him. "How did you come to be here at this time? It has been some time since last we spoke."

Gandalf nodded. "Yes, it has been some time. I was traveling through Imladris, only intending to spend a short time here to take some rest. While here, I discovered that Gilraen was with child and knew how confused you would be at the development. Elrond said that you were due to return in a couple of weeks time, so I remained here. I felt you would need someone to talk to who actually understood why you might not be overly happy at the news."

"And I thank you for that," Eradan said, inclining his head. "It has helped. You are correct that no other would understand the reasons behind my mood. As always, you have proven to be a fortunate friend. I am pleased that I can speak candidly with you, as there is no one else in this time that I can trust with the knowledge of my identity. Thank you, my friend."

"You are more than welcome," Gandalf said warmly. "I am pleased you have trusted me with that knowledge. I fear the curiosity would have eaten me alive, otherwise."

Aragorn was able to chuckle at that. "So, will you be staying for awhile, or continuing whatever journey you are now on? You mentioned that you did not intend to stay long."

"I am not heading anywhere in particular," Gandalf said slowly. "I shall remain for another few days, at the least. I have missed our discussions."

"As have I," Eradan replied. He sighed and stood. "And now I suppose I should return to the house. I have a feeling Aragorn will be looking for me, and I need to relay more sincere congratulations to my lord Arathorn."

Nodding, Gandalf rose to his feet. "I think I shall join you, if you do not mind."

Eradan pulled aside a sweep of branches and gestured for Gandalf to precede him through the curtain made by the weeping willow. There was a sense of great joy and celebration when they returned to the house, and though Eradan still felt slightly uncomfortable, he was able to join in the festive atmosphere.

Over the next three months, Arathorn and Eradan remained close to Imladris, only venturing out on short patrols, or meeting with other Dúnedain and delegating much of the more distant lands to other patrols. Arathorn intended to stay near Gilraen during the remainder of her pregnancy, and he also wished to spend some time with his family once the child was born.

While they were in Imladris that summer, Eradan was kept quite busy. He almost began to wish for a brief patrol, just so they could have some rest. The thought made him smile to himself. Eradan's training with Elrond in healing, the twins in battle skills, Glorfindel in tactics, and Erestor in history and diplomacy would have been quite enough to keep every moment of his time occupied, even if he had done nothing else. But Eradan was also quite busy helping to take care of Aragorn and keep him distracted so that he did not insist on taking all of Gilraen and Arathorn's time.

Eradan had quite forgotten how much energy five-year-old children had, and found himself trying to come up with numerous ways to occupy Aragorn. He was able to enlist the twin's help somewhat in this, as Gilraen was rather too distracted to care that her son was spending time with them. The three of them took Aragorn to a shallow pool near the house and taught him to swim. In his joy at playing in the water, Aragorn lost his usual reticence around the elven twins, and with his easy smiles and laughter, broke through their discomfort around him. It was with relief that Eradan watched the beginnings of friendship between the three. Granted, things were bound to be different now, but that was one matter that he felt was finally starting to right itself.

The day finally came when Gilraen went into labor. It fell to Eradan and the twins to keep Aragorn distracted while Elrond delivered the child, and Arathorn paced outside her room. Eradan could not help but think of Arwen and Eldarion as he watched Arathorn pace anxiously, awaiting news of his wife and child. It did not seem so long ago that he had been in the same situation as Arathorn. And yet, he had been here for more than three years now, and had nearly given up hope on the idea that he would be returning home any time soon.

Knowing that those thoughts were dangerous on many levels, Eradan shook his head and forced them back into the corners of his mind. Noticing Elladan watching him, he wondered briefly what his expression might have given away. As there was nothing he could do about it now, and knowing that there was no point in worrying about it, he turned his attention back to the game he was playing with Aragorn. The child was really quite intelligent, and had picked up the rules to a game of tactics quickly. While he did not plan out his moves in advance, but rather played moment to moment, he did know how to play it very well for a five-year-old.

Since the pains of labor were not something a five-year-old needed to hear, Eradan took Aragorn to the main dining room to get a snack to eat and to play their games further from the delivery room. It was many hours after labor had begun before Elrohir sought them out. Eradan looked up expectantly as the younger twin entered the room. He did not even need to ask the question, as the wide smile on the elf's face spoke volumes. Kneeling down in front of Aragorn, Elrohir placed a hand on the child's shoulder.

"You have a new little sister, Aragorn. Would you care to come meet her?"

Aragorn's face lit up. "A sister? Yes, I want to see her!" He took off running down the hallway toward the room that held his mother and new sister.

Following along at a slower pace, Eradan looked over at Elrohir. "Mother and child are both well, then?"

"Yes," Elrohir nodded. "While I am sure Lady Gilraen is quite tired, Ada said the delivery went well." He smiled at Eradan as he added, "And Arathorn was quite enthralled with his new daughter. He was through the door the moment Adar opened it, and holding his daughter a second later."

"Have they named her yet?" Eradan asked as they approached Gilraen's room.

Elrohir shook his head. "Not that I have heard." He gestured toward the doorway. "Would you like to see her for yourself?"

Hanging back hesitantly, Eradan shook his head. "I would not care to intrude upon the family."

"You are family," came a voice from inside the room. "Please come in, Eradan."

Giving Elrohir a slightly nervous smile, Eradan slowly entered the room at Arathorn's request. He saw Gilraen sitting up in her bed with Arathorn sitting on the edge, and Aragorn tucked comfortably between them. Arathorn was holding a small blanket wrapped bundle, and Eradan approached rather cautiously. Looking up, Arathorn caught his eye and smiled. "Would you like to meet the newest member of our family?" He pulled the blanket back slightly, and Eradan ventured closer. "Eradan, this is Lothrin, my daughter."

Kneeling down beside Arathorn, Eradan reached out and lightly touched a finger to the newborn's cheek. She turned her head toward his hand and reached out, grasping onto his finger with her tiny hand. Eradan's heart melted as he saw this sister that he had never had the chance to meet, and he placed his right hand over his heart. "I am pleased to meet you, my lady. I pledge to do anything in my power to protect you from this day forward." He made a solemn vow to watch over this unexpected gift that held his finger and his heart firmly in her little hand.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List