Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Birthday Party  by MarigoldG

A Birthday Party

By Marigold

All in all it had been a good day so far. It was a grand party. There were guests galore, most welcome, some less so, but he had greeted each politely and presented them their mathoms, all very carefully chosen this important year, and thanked them for their well wishes. There was music and dancing, good food, and lots of ale, of which he had not partaken nearly enough. At least not yet. Pippin had declared a few minutes ago that he intended to remedy Merry’s sobriety and could be seen heading in his direction with two frothy mugs, skillfully wending his way through the guests without spilling a drop.

Merry knew that his parents were pleased at his manners this day and he was glad of that. His 36th birthday party. Perhaps they thought he was becoming a mature gentlehobbit at last. Well, that was certainly not true, and he hated to deceive them, but Merry would allow them their misconception for today. How could he explain to them that he was on such good behaviour because he feared it might be his last birthday party, or at least his last birthday party at Brandy Hall for who could say how long? It was a sobering thought, and frightening and yet somehow an exciting one all at the same time.

For this was the year he would have his adventure. He and Pippin had always planned that they would have a grand adventure when they grew up, though certainly not so grand…or perhaps ‘dire’ was a better word… as this one that had been thrust upon them. They had talked naively about trips to Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain, or visits to see the elves in Rivendell. Certainly they had never considered that they would be fleeing with their Cousin Frodo and Sam Gamgee into deadly danger, hoping to defend Frodo while he carried a trinket that could destroy all of Middle-earth. But perhaps, he thought, perhaps adventures aren’t really adventures if you plan them out. Perhaps they have to be thrust upon you as Cousin Bilbo had had his adventure thrust upon him, all those years ago. That had turned out for the best, hadn’t it? Perhaps this would too.

“You’re thinking again, aren’t you Cousin?” Merry nearly jumped out of his skin. He wondered how long Pippin had been standing there. He took the mug that was offered and looked a bit guilty. Pippin grinned.

“I told, you, no thinking allowed on your birthday. Plenty of time for thinking about serious things again tomorrow. You Brandybucks!” Pippin had already drained half his mug. Merry followed his example.

“Sorry Pip. I was just wondering where we’ll be on my next birthday.”

“Well, I know where we will be on mine. Somewhere on the Road! And I doubt that there will be inns along the way for a proper celebration, so I intend to celebrate today, and would appreciate it if you would stop thinking and start having some real fun.” He nudged Merry slyly. “I saw Estella over by the big beech tree. She looked rather lonely. She was even looking in your direction. Why don’t you be a proper host and go and make sure she’s having a good time?”

Estella had been looking at him? Truly? Merry peered in the direction of the tree. “She isn’t by herself. She has her cousin Peony with her.”

Pip waggled his eyebrows. “How lucky for you that you happen to have a cousin of your own by your side who is willing to distract Peony for you.”

“Pip, you hate Peony Bolger with a passion.” Actually, most hobbits couldn’t stand Peony. She was spoilt and uppity and undoubtedly related in some close fashion to Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. The resemblance was just too uncanny.

Pippin sighed theatrically. “Yes, but I love you.” He took Merry by the arm and they started for the tree. Merry saw Estella’s eyes light up when she saw him approaching and he grinned. Pippin laughed fondly.

“It’s your birthday Merry, and who knows when you’ll see Estella again. I am willing to sacrifice myself to spending a bit of time with darling Peony if it will give my favourite cousin a chance to take his favourite lass on a little stroll. In fact, I saw Merimas and Posy come back from paying a visit to the dell behind the blackberry bushes so there’s no one there now.” He gave Merry a nudge with his elbow.

Merry stopped, shocked. “Pippin!” The dell behind the blackberry bushes was a notorious trysting spot, safe from prying eyes, and though Merry had been there with a lass or two in his time he had certainly never taken Estella there before. He had thought about it of course, many times, but he had never actually asked her. He liked Estella far too much to risk being rejected. Pip just dragged him forward.

“What did I say about enjoying yourself Meriadoc? If I have to keep Peony amused you’re going to take full advantage of my sacrifice! We’re about to go on an adventure, Merry, and who knows when we’ll get back. Better to let Estella know just exactly how you feel about her before you disappear, and what better place for that than the blackberry dell.”

Well, that made sense. He couldn’t tell her he was leaving of course, but he couldn’t really expect Estella to wait for him if they hadn’t reached some sort of understanding. “You’re right, Pippin.” He gathered his courage. The blackberry dell with Estella! Another adventure had been thrust upon him when he wasn’t expecting it.

“Of course I am. Just don’t leave me with Peony for too long. Remember, I’m borrowing part of this party for my own, and my plans don’t include Peony Bolger. My plans include drinking far too much ale, eating far too much food, and getting into far too much mischief with you.”

Merry only nodded as they reached the lasses, and he and Estella just looked at each other for several moments. He suddenly remembered Peony, and turned around to say a polite hello, but somehow Pippin had already smoothly whisked her away, may the Valar bless him. He hoped he hadn’t been staring at Estella for too long, but she didn’t seem to mind. Gathering up his courage he offered her his arm.

“Would you like to take a walk with me Estella?” Might as well come right out with it. “I thought we might…we might walk down to the blackberry dell.” He braced himself for her shocked refusal but she took his arm and smiled.

“I thought you’d never get up the nerve to ask me.”

Merry smiled back. This was going to be a very noteworthy year, no mistake about it.

End





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List