Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Under My Wing  by Edoraslass

I was sitting in front of the fireplace, reading a letter from my mother, when a small voice said, "Nanny?"

There stood Faramir, who had gone to bed an hour ago. "Why are you awake, little one?" I asked. "Bad dreams?"

"No." He denied this a little too vehemently, but lately he had been subject to nightmares which he could not articulate.  "No, I know dreams aren't real. I'm -- I'm cold."

I smiled, set aside my letter, and lifted the blanket I had draped over my legs. "Come sit with me," I invited, and he scrambled into my lap, snuggling against me.  His bare feet were like ice, and I wrapped us both in the blanket. His face was too conflicted for one so young, and I wished he could tell me what he had dreamed that upset him so badly. "Shall I sing to you?"

He thought a moment. "Will you sing the seagull song?"

It was a rather melancholy song, but the tune was soothing enough, so I settled back into my chair and sang for him.

Seagull soaring over yonder bay
Take my heart and dreams and fly away
Find my love,
I am only waiting for my love to come back home
I am only waiting for my love no more to roam

Seagull soaring over yonder quay
Bring my love back home from stormy sea
He'll return,
He is only waiting to find harbour in my arms
He is only waiting to find shelter from all harm

Faramir was fast asleep before I had even begun the second stanza, but he was warm against me, and I had no desire to disturb him. Stretching, I could just reach the letter from my mother. There was nothing of importance in it, but it kept me awake, and let Faramir sleep undisturbed  for a bit longer, safe from whatever haunted his dreams.

~*~

A/N - song is a filk of "Blackbird", by the Beatles.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List