Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Marigold's Red Book  by MarigoldG

Keepsake

by Marigold

Written as a gift for Llinos and intended as a companion piece to her wonderful story More Than Just Years which can be found here on Stories of Arda...

Pippin’s tears had finally ceased and he watched with resigned sadness as Frodo boarded the white elven ship. He understood why Frodo had to go but that did not make it any easier to bear, not for himself and certainly not for poor Merry and Sam. Pippin’s heart was breaking and he tried to imagine their dear Frodo in the Blessed Realm, happy and healed and that helped a little. So did the knowledge that their parting would not be forever; someday they would meet again, on the white shores of a far green country. But likely that wouldn’t be for years and years and Pippin knew that not a day of those years would go by without his missing this most gentle of cousins.

And adding to his sadness was another painful parting. Pippin listened in misery as Gandalf bade farewell to Merry and to Sam. Then it was his turn. He managed to summon a brave smile and looked up at the kindly wizard. Gandalf smiled back and knelt, taking Pippin’s hands in his own gnarled ones.

“Peregrin my lad. This is a hard farewell.”

Pippin felt his smile begin to tremble. “It is. I shall miss you Gandalf.” His voice shook.

“And I shall miss you too my lad, more than I can say. I am proud of you, Peregrin, and I know that you shall make me even prouder as the years pass.”

“Must you go? Couldn’t you stay, just a while longer?”

“My time here is finished, my great task complete. It is time for me to go Pippin,” said Gandalf gently.

Pippin nodded, his cheeks again wet with tears. “I understand, though I still wish that you could stay, that Frodo could stay. But I understand. I will never forget you Gandalf.”

“I have something for you lad, to make certain that you do not.”

Pippin felt his hands, still surrounded by Gandalf’s, grow warm. A soft blue glow shimmered around their joined hands and suddenly Pippin held something where nothing had been before. Gandalf released him and gently opened Pippin’s clasped hands. The hobbit gasped.

There in his palm lay a perfectly formed ear of wheat, like and yet unlike the one that Gandalf had magicked for Pippin when he had been barely a faunt, to help him summon enough courage to join the other children in a ride on the haywain. This one too was perfect, down to the last kernel, but whereas the original charm had been silver this one was of the finest mithril and the kernels were of solid, gleaming gold.  “Oh…” he breathed, touched beyond words.

Pippin had been heartbroken when he had lost his charm. For years he had carried it, convinced that it was indeed a magickal talisman that would make him brave. When he had dropped it while lighting the beacon of Minas Tirith he had thought that his courage had been lost with the charm but Gandalf had explained that Pippin’s courage was his own; the charm had merely served to help Pippin believe in himself.

The wizard smiled down at Pippin fondly. “This one holds no more enchantment than the first I am afraid, save the magic that binds one good friend to another.”

“That is a wonderful magic Gandalf. And, though I don’t need anything to remember you, I will treasure this always. Thank you.”

He threw his arms about the wizard and Gandalf embraced him.

“We hobbits will never forget you Gandalf,” Pippin whispered. “I will never forget you.”

“Nor I you, Peregrin Took. You have grown up well, into a fine hobbit worthy of the title of Thain. Who would have thought it!"

Pippin managed a little laugh. “Since you must go and cannot do it, I will do my best to look after my people and the Shire in your stead.”

“And you will be a Thain without equal.” There was no teasing now in the wizard’s tone. “Look after your Merry, and Sam too. Frodo’s leaving will be hard on them.”

Pippin sniffed and stood up straight and tall. “I will Gandalf. Till we meet again then. Beyond the grey rain curtain.”

“Under a swift sunrise. Till then Pippin.”

With a last stroke of Pippin’s curls, Gandalf turned and joined Frodo and dear old Bilbo on the deck of the ship.

Pippin stood with his arm tightly about Merry, holding one of Sam’s calloused hands in his own, and the three of them watched as the elven ship sailed slowly into the setting sun; standing bereft long after it had gone beyond their sight.

As they finally turned to leave the Havens behind Pippin looked once more at his farewell gift from Gandalf. Though it was deep night the treasured keepsake shone brightly, reflecting the stars. A wind whispered through the trees and Pippin could have sworn that he heard Gandalf’s voice, one last time.

“Until we meet again, Peregrin Took. My dear, dear friend.”

The End

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List