Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Legacy  by jenolas

Legacy.

Chapter 1. Plans are Made

To Bilbo’s relief, and delight, Elrond finally declared the council meeting to be at an end. The mood of the meeting had been very sombre as each of the attendees told their own disquieting news, yet Legolas’s feeling of anguish at the escape of Gollum diminished somewhat when Frodo offered to take the ring to Mordor. In fact the courageous offer was as a small spark of hope to everyone.

As the echo of the final peal of the noon bell faded into silence across the valley, those who had spent the long morning in council eagerly made their way to the dining hall. Several of the council members were trying to predict who Elrond would choose to accompany Frodo, besides the ever faithful Sam. To Aragorn’s and Gandalf’s amusement, Glóin and Bilbo were trying to guess what was being served for lunch.

Legolas, however was not one of the curious, nor was he hungry at present and he was definitely not in the mood to tolerate the cold dislike he felt from Glóin’s son, Gimli. Despite the fact that the elder Dwarf had graciously accepted Gandalf’s rebuke for his harsh words, Legolas easily sensed that the son’s anger over the imprisonment of his father many years ago had resurfaced when the Dwarf had learned that Legolas was Thranduil’s son. In all honesty, Legolas felt affronted that his adar was being accused of mistreating the Dwarves, who were trespassing, and being deliberately obtuse. The incident had obviously neither been forgotten, nor totally forgiven, by either party.

“Master Elrond, I beg your leave to explore the beauty of Rivendell rather than partake of your fine fare,” he said, bowing politely to his host.

“As you wish, Legolas. Might I suggest you take a walk through the gardens to the waterfall? Most of those who, like yourself, are visiting for the first time seem to find it a most pleasant and relaxing place,” Elrond suggested, pointing to a pathway that looked to be used more often than several others. Elrond had heard reports of Legolas’s skill as an archer, and his bravery in skirmishes with Orcs, tbut hey had never met formally until this morning. Many an Elf had been overawed on their first meeting with the famous and highly respected Lore Master, so Elrond was pleased to see the young Elf so relaxed in his presence. That he had a friendly, light hearted disposition, ‘except towards the Dwarf,’ thought Elrond ruefully, boded well for his plans for the young one.

“Thank you, I will do as you suggest,” replied Legolas with a grateful smile.

It was not really a long distance to walk, but it took most of the afternoon because Legolas stopped to examine the wide varieties of plants and flowers, some of which he had not seen before. He even spent several minutes singing a chorus with the birds that were serenading the now setting sun, until finally the whispering sounds of the water sliding swiftly over the mossy rocks grew ever louder, drawing him to his destination.

Upon reaching the waterfall, Legolas was astounded to see that it was actually only the first of a series of rocky steps over which the cool, clear water flowed until it reached the river in the valley floor far below. As he cautiously peered over the rim of the ledge on which he was standing, he could see that the water formed a large pool at the base of each step. He knelt beside the pool on his level, filled his cupped hands with the water and drank deeply of the ice cold, but sweet tasting liquid.

Feeling quite refreshed, he lay down on the soft green grass that grew right up to the water’s edge, clasped his hands behind his head to form a pillow and let his thoughts wander as the peacefulness washed over him like the spray from the waterfall. With one part of his mind, he watched the sky slowly change colour from pink to black as night fell rapidly, while at the same time he contemplated all that he had heard at the Council meeting.

Although it concerned him to hear of the threats made by the Dark Lord to the Men of Dale and the Dwarves of Erebor, it was not a really surprising development to one accustomed to living under the darkness of the shadow at Dol Guldur. What had surprised him, however, was learning Strider’s true identity. He had only ever met the Ranger very briefly once, and that was on the occasion of Gollum’s imprisonment at Mirkwood, but even then he had felt there was something different about the man. That he was possessed of the majesty and power of his ancestors had been apparent, and Legolas instinctively knew he would one day become a good friend, and a great King.

But even that information paled into insignificance compared to the ill news that the One Ring had been found. Legolas was well versed in the history of the Elves war with Sauron, and he knew that Thranduil had both feared and anticipated such a day arriving ever since Isildur took the ring at Dagorlad. This was information that he must carry back to Mirkwood immediately! He made to stand up but  stopped when he sensed someone approach.

“I hope you will forgive the intrusion, but I have matters I wish to discuss with you, and this place is both peaceful and private.” Legolas crossed his legs and remained seated and indicated that Elrond should do likewise. Leggings and tunics were the favoured garments in Mirkwood, and the young Wood Elf who had never before been to Rivendell, had been rather amused to find that long robes were more favoured.

“I imagine it is rather difficult to sit on the grass in those robes,” he said lightly as he watched with amusement as Elrond finally arranged the voluminous garment to his satisfaction.

“Indeed it is. I see there is definitely some advantage to the style of dress favoured by the Silvan Elves,” agreed Elrond with a smile.

“May I ask what is that you wish to discuss?” asked Legolas, very interested in what had been of such great import to make Elrond seek him out. They were sure to cross paths at dinner that evening, or later in the Hall of Fire.

“ I would like to enquire as to how Thranduil is faring? I know that the Shadow is ever trying to strangle his realm with its dark fingers, and he must be grieving for those who were slain during the rescue of Gollum,” he said with compassion in his voice. He watched the reaction of the younger Elf with some interest. Legolas’s demeanour changed in the blink of an eye from a light hearted youthfulness to that of a serious and formidable warrior reporting to his captain.

“As with Erebor and Dale, the attacks seem to be increasing in number, and there are also far more dark creatures now than there were at the time of the defeat of Smaug. King Thranduil’s defences are holding well, and our realm will remain safe under his protection,” replied Legolas proudly.

“Of that I have no doubt. Thranduil is powerful however I believe he needs to be informed of the findings of the Council as soon as possible. Mirkwood may be well protected, but it is also the one Elven realm that has been constantly under attack. It is well that he is aware of the presence of spies, even in his realm, just as he needs to know exactly what his enemy is doing at all times,” said Elrond, his eyes darkening as memories of other Ages and their Wars passed fleetingly through his thoughts.

“Ai, and to that end, I will leave for Mirkwood at the first light of dawn,” declared Legolas eagerly.

“I was about to suggest that myself, but with an additional request. As you know, I am sending scouting parties out to make certain the way is clear for Frodo and his companions to travel south. I ask that you take one of the parties east to Mirkwood. Tell Thranduil what has come to pass, and see if he has any news for me, and return as quickly as possible.”

“I will lead the scouting party to Mirkwood, but I must remain there. Adar will need my help should the forces of Darkness try to attack in greater numbers, as it appears they intend. The darkness spreads day by day, but I will not allow it to take my home,” replied Legolas with fire in his eyes and anger in his voice.

“I commend your dedication, but I have a feeling that you will be of more use to Mirkwood if you accompany Frodo,” said Elrond with a slight smile at the startled look on the fair features of the younger Elf.

“Surely such a role should fall to one of the experienced warriors who reside here, such as Lord Glorfindel?”

“No, I fear if Sauron, whose evil and intelligence should not be ignored nor underestimated, knew that one or more Elves like Glorfindel was with a group travelling south, he would easily deduce that it was likely they were defending the Ring Bearer. You and your people are regularly doing battle, and I assume your skills are finely honed. It has been many centuries since any of us have gone to battle, and our fighting skills, whilst formidable when in constant use, may be less than adequate at present,” explained Elrond.

“I have fought and won many battles in recent times,” agreed Legolas.

“And have you the same ability as Thranduil as far as the minions of Sauron are concerned? Are you able to sense the approach of the forces of darkness?” asked Elrond.

“Ai, I have inherited that skill, and it has served me in good stead on more than one occasion. I can see how it would be useful as we travel into lands where the threat is unknown and unseen,” Legolas mused, nodding in agreement.

“Will you join the Fellowship? Before you answer, I feel I must warn you that I have decided to have a representative for each Race. I intend to ask Gimli, son of Glóin, to join as well,” stated Elrond, alluding to the enmity between the son of Glóin and Thranduilion. Legolas shook his head slightly, he should have realised that nothing would escape Elrond’s notice.

“Ai, I would be honoured, to accompany Frodo, Dwarf or no Dwarf, I care not which. Our task is to aid in the defeat of Sauron, not fight amongst ourselves,” he replied with a wisdom born of both age and experience. ‘He is older than his fair face reveals,' decided the Lore Master.

“Good! Then I will pen a letter to Thranduil telling him what has transpired, and that you have agreed to represent the Elves and be one of the Nine Walkers,” said Elrond.

“I will deliver your letter, but I ask that you allow me to tell Adar my plans,” said Legolas as he and Elrond began the short walk back to the Last Homely House.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List