Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Luthien Tinuviel  by Endaewen

Title: My Word Held
Author: Endaewen
Rating: G
Fandom: The Silmarillion
Disclaimer: All the characters and settings belong to J.R.R. Tolkien and the Tolkien Estates.
Prompt: #36. Abandoned
Story Number: 16/100
Wordcount: 206
Character: Luthien Tinuviel
Summary: Written for the Arda100 LiveJournal community, the Doom'n'Gloom prompt set. Beren's thoughts on the choice presented to him by Luthien.
Note: Quotes (in 'bold') are from Of Beren and Luthien from The Silmarillion.

There were times when Luthien suggested to me that I abandon the quest set for me by her father, Thingol. There have been times when I thought it impossible, which is what he had intended, for he wished me never to return to claim her. Despite her suggestion, though, I never seriously thought about giving up.

As she had said when describing my choices, if I had abandoned the quest, it would have left me to a life of wandering. For myself, that would be no hard choice. If Luthien were to remain with me, though it would be quite different. She deserves far, far better than an uncertain and dangerous life of vagrancy.

In addition, I have never willingly broken my word. Although I did not swear an oath to fulfil the quest, and the wording made it quite possible for me to abandon the quest,I still made a promise. One that I eventually managed to keep, though in the end it cost me my life. For, when I did meet Thingol again, my hand did hold the Silmaril we had managed to steal from Morgoth. As such, he accepted the promise as kept, even though I no longer had the hand in question.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List