Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Luthien Tinuviel  by Endaewen

Title: Oaths and Rash Words
Author: Endaewen
Rating: G
Fandom: The Silmarillion
Disclaimer: All the characters and settings belong to J.R.R. Tolkien and the Tolkien Estates.
Prompt: #63. Oaths
Wordcount: 285
Character: Luthien Tinuviel
Summary: Written for the Arda100 LiveJournal community, the Doom'n'Gloom prompt set.
Note: Quotes (in 'bold') are from Of Beren and Luthien from The Silmarillion.

An oath sworn must be kept until the conditions have either been fulfilled or the oath released. That is our way. Did my father forget this with his rash demand? When he demanded one of the Silmarils from Beren, he entangled Doriath within the snares of the Oath of Feanor. All of the Eldar in Beleriand know about the oath sworn by Feanor and his sons.

He had sworn an oath to me, you see, an oath that he would not either kill my love, nor imprison him. That oath he had to keep, no matter how angry he was. However, he sought to find a way of getting rid of Beren and thought that an impossible quest would manage it. In doing so, though, he may well have doomed his land and people.

I am even more impressed by Beren, though and they way he responded to Thingol and his anger. Neither with anger of his own, nor with rash words to meet the rash words he had been faced with, but with incredible dignity. It was a good thing that I convinced my father to swear that oath to me.

If by some small chance, Beren succeeds, and I intend to help him with all my strength and abilities, we will become a focus of the sons of Feanor, perhaps the focus. They know that it will be nearly impossible for them to defeat Morgoth. For, though Feanor is dead, his sons must still keep his oath. With the oath they swore, there is no way to release it. They swore by Iluvatar himself, and there is no way for him to release them from the oath, which is what it would take.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List