Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Luthien Tinuviel  by Endaewen

Title: The Future
Author: Endaewen
Rating: G
Fandom: The Silmarillion
Disclaimer: All the characters and settings belong to J.R.R. Tolkien and the Tolkien Estates.
Prompt: #35. Ruins
Wordcount: 248
Character: Luthien Tinuviel
Summary: Written for the Arda100 LiveJournal community, the Doom'n'Gloom prompt set.
Note: Quotes (in 'bold') are from Of Beren and Luthien from The Silmarillion.

Many of the Eldar have some form of forsight, as does Melian, my mother. I wonder what comes to their minds when they hear of my father's decree.“Bring to me in your hand a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown.” he said to Beren. I know that Melian saw nothing good in his decision, though she never told me what she saw.

For myself, I saw only ruins, the ruins of Doriath which came with either Beren's success or failure. My happiness amid the ruins. They were not my fault or that of Beren, but due to Thingol.

There was also a thread of hope, and hope to come buried in all the misery this decision was to bring. I knew not how that would come about due to our deeds as all I saw of us was our deaths, until we were sent back by Mandos. All I could think of was that our success showed that victory was possible over Morgoth. Not likely, but possible all the same.

Now I know. Our son, Dior, and his children on down into the far distant future will have an important role to play in Middle-Earth. I know not what that role will be, just that it exists. Luthien looked down on the face of her sleeping son, marveling that something so small would have such a mighty role to fulfill. I see the ruin of Doriath for the final time in his future, but also love and hope.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List