Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Luthien Tinuviel  by Endaewen

Title: Thingol's Folly
Author: Endaewen
Rating: G
Fandom: The Silmarillion
Disclaimer: All the characters and settings belong to J.R.R. Tolkien and the Tolkien Estates.
Prompt: #14. Folly
Wordcount: 302
Character: Luthien Tinuviel
Summary: Written for the Arda100 LiveJournal community, the Doom'n'Gloom prompt set.
Note: Quotes (in 'bold') are from Of Beren and Luthien from The Silmarillion.


Bring to me in your hand a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown.” My fathers' words held an incredible ring of finality, looking back on them now. They cost the man now my husband first his hand, and then his life and led to the destruction of an entire realm. All this because of words said in anger.


To demand that Beren bring him one of the three Silmarils, something that Feanor and his descendants had sworn to recover at any cost, and yet had not succeeded at was meant to be an impossible task. We succeeded, but it involved Doriath in much evil, and prevented perhaps a greater success in the war against Morgoth. For, due to the words of the sons of Feanor, Doriath refused to take part in the alliance against Morgoth, instead fencing themselves off from the world.


It was folly to become involved in the Oath of Feanor in this manner, and my mother in all her wisdom warned against this course. But, perhaps it was not folly to stay out of the alliance, for at least two of the sons of Feanor were, according to rumor and warnings, plotting to kill Thingol.


Since then, Doriath was plunged into needless wars with the Dwarves, leading to the death of Thingol, my father and much destruction. I know not whether it is the Silmaril itself, or the Oath of Feanor, but the thought of the gem, and even moreso the sight of it seems to inspire greed and violence.


And yet, now that the deed has been done, hope has been brought back to the alliance against Morgoth, something which was greatly needed. Perhaps some good will come from our quest, though for myself, I see only its great cost and more evil to come from it in future days.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List