Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

It was difficult deciding a date for this; all I knew is that I wanted it a few years after Aragorn's betrothal to Arwen, and before Gilraen's death. That left me with a good 30 or so years to work with, so I just drew a random date and worked with it.

Also, the path to Rivendell has been difficult for me to figure out, especially since fan fiction often interprets it much more differently than the books (both LOTR and the Hobbit) do. The most accurate interpretation of the path to the hidden valley that I've seen would probably be the one in The Lord of the Rings Online, which actually has moorlands and a noticeable lack of trees in the area above the valley! Difficult placing border patrol in a bunch of heather, though.

Finally, this ridiculously goes beyond the word count, but the Muses simply did not shush.


Prompt 41: Road
Ficlet: The Road Home
Rating: G
The Vale of Imladris, 3001 TA

Rivendell. A place for healing and rest, or so it is said. Anyone of good intentions and in need would find the white stone path that led to the hidden valley. This path he now followed subconsciously; he knew the road well, despite the many years that had passed since he last walked it. Even now, he could hear the disguised bird calls from the sentries hidden among the steep walls and fallen rocks of the high moors. They, of course, knew he was there; they had known since he was still a league away from the Last Homely House.

If he were to be completely honest with himself, Aragorn was not quite sure what now led him down this path to a place that he had avoided for so long. When Elrond had learned of Arwen's betrothal to him, he had been grieved, and while they had not parted on ill terms, tension had been strong between he and the one he once called adar. And so he had avoided Imladris for a score of years, instead living with his people and making up for the many years he was abroad. Now Chieftain of the Dúnedain, he belonged solely with the remnants of his people scattered about Arnor.

If that was so, why did he give the command of his patrol to another for a couple seasons? Why did he wander down this road? He did not know.

It did not take him long to reach the steep, windy path that led down into the valley, nor did it take much longer to reach the narrow bridge that crossed the Bruinen. He slowly made his way to the courtyard that was in front of the Last Homely House. The few elves he passed did not note him, not recognizing him in the evening light. But then again, he had changed much over the years; he was not the boy they remembered.

He climbed the steps to the House but paused at the door. In his youth, he would have entered with no hesitations. But now he was not quite sure if he was even welcome in Elrond's house. Perhaps it would be better if he turned away now.

He settled for the medium approach and knocked on the great doors.

To his surprise, it was not a door warden that answered, but the master of the house himself. Elrond looked at him in astonishment; he had not expected the figure beyond the door, as well.

Aragorn managed to compose himself quickly and gave a quick bow to the peredhel. "Master Elrond."

The elf said nothing, but raised his hand to the man's shoulder. When Aragorn did not protest or move away, Elrond stepped closer and suddenly engulfed the man in an embrace. Amazement filled him, but Aragorn quickly recovered and returned the gesture, unsure what to make of this development.

When Elrond moved away, he must had seen the bewilderment in Aragorn's eyes, for he said, "The last time we spoke, I said I loved you still. Did you not believe me?"

Few beings could leave Arathorn's son speechless; his foster father was one of them. He opened his mouth, but no words came. Finally, he simply said, "I did not know what to believe."

The elf lord shook his head, smiling slightly. He took in the Ranger's filthy state of being with a critical eye, and then settled upon the lines on his face. "You have grown even older this past score of years."

"As is the way of Men," he responded, and Elrond nodded grimly.

"Elladan and Elrohir searched for you."

"I know." Indeed, he made sure that he was as far away from them as possible when he heard of their every coming. He was afraid of their judgment concerning he and Arwen, though he would not tell Elrond that he deliberately avoided them. Aragorn suspected, however, that the elf knew.

"They missed you, and wanted to see you. As did I."

Guilt washed over the man; guilt he had not felt for many years. He never suspected that, in avoiding his foster family, he may be hurting them. Then again, he did not believe that they wanted anything to do with him. Clearly he had been very wrong.

"Are they here?"

"They will be, in a few days. Will you stay and wait for them?"

He hesitated for a moment, but with a slow nod, he said, "Yes. Yes, I believe I will."

Elrond smiled, and opened the door wider, letting his foster son into the Last Homely House.


Look in Appendix A! After Aragorn's betrothal to Arwen, Elrond does say that he loves him! It's canon, not fanon! That fact makes me ridiculously happy. While their relationship can never be the same, I would be devastated if Elrond possibly lost his love for Aragorn. According to canon, he didn't! *grin*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List