Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Well. I went There and Back again. "There" being China, back in February of 07. I brought home a darling 2 year old, now 3. Between my senior year of high school, watching over my young new sister, and my mother deciding to have a near-death experience back in early September that landed her out of work, well, put me out of writing for a long time. Hopefully my long-dead muses (that woke up at 1:30 AM a couple days ago) will decide to stay alive. I do wish they would strike me with inspiration at more appropriate times, though.

I must say that the Hobbit news also helped, too. Talk about a rush. My muses have been very much alive these past few days, and I am hoping that they stay like that.


Prompt 27: Journey
Fic: Down South
Rating: G
2956 TA, Eriador

"So," the young man frowned as he absorbed all of the counsel he was just given, "you do not believe that I am gaining experience here in the North?"

"Experience? Oh, you have learned much these past few years," the old man replied. "But you will not gain nearly enough experience here, not in Eriador."

"And you wish for me to travel South, to be among other Men."

"Yes."

"What of my own people?"

The old man gently puffed on his pipe. "Your lineage puts you at a distinct advantage amongst them. Your ancestors were behind you and your own strengths simply added to your popularity. However, in a land where your lineage is unknown, you would start at the bottom, and would rise through your aptitude alone."

"And you would just have me abandon the North? Abandon my duties?" the young man raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

"Your people did well enough without you for eighteen years; Haladan is a good man and a competent leader," the wizard said, blowing a small smoke ring through his lips. "And his son Halbarad is no dotard, either."

"That I know well," the Dúnadan shook his head. "And you know that is not what I meant."

"I know what you meant," Gandalf blew another ring and watched it fly away before giving his young friend an answer. "If you are to fulfill your destiny, you need to know of Men beyond those of your kin. The Dúnedain are different from many other men. I would have you travel to Rohan, and then Gondor, and learn about the people there. It would be well worth your time."

Aragorn sighed and his brow furrowed as he thought about it. He did want to see other places, yes, but he was not sure he wanted to leave his people after only being with them for a few years. How would he appear to them?

As if he read his thoughts, the wizard gave the youth a gentle smile. "They will understand. Your people know that you have a long and arduous road ahead of you, and that it will take you many places. In the end, the experiences you gain in the South will be of value to your people when you return."

Aragorn was still, and he finally nodded. "All right, then. I shall travel south, when Spring comes again. But still..." and here he groaned, "I will have to take up another name. None of my current ones will suit."

"Soon enough, you'll have as many names as I do," Gandalf said, chuckling.

Aragorn shook his head. "Elbereth forbid that day from ever happening." Gandalf simply laughed once more, and the young man couldn't help but smile. "All right then, wizard. Say more about your schemes for me."

And so the wizard did.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List