Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Good news: I'm not dead.

Bad news: I'm a junior in high school who has teachers who think it would be absolutely hilarious to pile homework on their students. I also work as a tutor, which takes even more of my time. So, whenever I do have free time, I usually don't have enough energy to write, draw, or even check my email. So, I try to write whenever I have time and I'm not falling down from exhaustion. My apologies.

Anyways, the name of this prompt fic comes from The Hobbit, Chapter 14: Fire and Water. It fit so perfectly with this ficlet; my thanks to the Professor :-)

Oh, and I hate writing anything to do with battles, thus the whole... vagueness of it. I really need to practice. I don't like the ending, either, because I sorta rushed on it. I just wanted to get something out before I go back to homework (which is right after I post this). So, hopefully you all will like it, anyways.


Prompt 22: Water
Fic: Fire and Water
Rating: G
The Sea, 2980 TA

"Is all ready, captain?"

The captain of the Falmarin looked up from his telescope to Thorongil. "Aye, sir. All ships are positioned just as we have planned."

"Good. Let us wait until night has completely fallen, and then we shall move in." The ship's captain nodded, and Thorongil walked away to see to any last-minute preparations.

It was a clear that late afternoon day, and the sun was just minutes from sinking below the western horizon. The calm atmosphere that surrounded the ships did not affect the moods of all of the men of the fleet. All of them were nervous, for never before had anything like this been done before in their own lifetime. With a small fleet of just ten ships, they were to attack the Haven of the Corsairs and destroy their ships. If it was not Thorongil leading this operation, most would have thought it suicidal. However, the legendary commander's plans rarely, if ever, went wrong, and many had complete faith in him.

The small fleet of ships were sailing now in the Bay of Umbar, just a couple of hours from reaching the large Corsair fleet. The plan was simple enough: they would surround the haven, and half of the men would be busy burning the corsair ships while the rest would hold off the Corsairs. It was a risky move, yes, but necessary. The power of Umbar was growing, and they were becoming more of a threat; they had to be subdued.

When it was completely dark, the Gondorian fleet moved in. Near all of the ships' lights were doused, and all men were as silent as the grave.

It took only a short while until they could see the lights of the port city. Those with keener eyes could just barely make out a couple of shadow shapes, all of them relaxed and completely at unawares.

Perfect.

The corsairs did not know what hit them, but suddenly the night was alive with roaring fire and splashing water. Gondor was attacking! The Corsairs poured out of the barracks and immediately clashed swords with the soldiers of the stone city. The fight was long and fierce, but in the end the Corsairs suffered a major defeat, and as the sun rose, Gondor left, suffering little loss but leaving behind great damage. And the waters of the sea carried the ships to Pelargir, where news of victory was given and celebrated. The news spread fast to Minas Tirith, where the captain of this amazing feat was to be honored greatly.

But Thorongil did not return to Minas Tirith; he sailed another route, and his heart took him to new lands. But the people of Gondor hoped that he would return one day.

Many years later, he did, sailing once more from the waters of the South, all the way to victory.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List