Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to Arwen of Lorien. You asked for a happy moment for Frodo, so here it is! Enjoy dear!

24 ~ A Not-So-Expected Party

Once again my cousins have succeeded in distracting me a little from my woes. I am glad of it, too, as I’ve been feeling a little guilty of making them worry, and of what appears to me to be self-pity. I was not the only one who suffered on the Quest. Many times in the past few days, Sam has come to me with his nightmares.

But this distraction is different. We’ve planned a surprise birthday party for Sam in the 6th of April, his birthday, in the party field where his beautiful seed has sprouted into a tall, stately Mallorn tree reminiscent of the ones in Lothlorien.

Once the darkness I felt on the twenty-fifth diminished, I was able to get up just enough excitement to help plan the party, since Merry and Pippin counted on me, as Sam’s best friend, to know what he’d want.

It took a whole other day for me to recover, as that coupled with my illness the week before left me feeling tired and weak. I realize that more has changed that I had originally thought.

* * *

“Careful Sam,” I say as he trips over a stone and almost falls on me. “I’m not strong enough to hold you up, dearest.” At least I know the blindfold is effective.

He grins, glad to see I can joke around a little. “Sorry, Frodo. I just can’t see where I’m going.”

“You’re going east, I believe, if that helps any,” I reply. “As straight as possible.”

He shakes his head. “That doesn’t help.”

I smile. Sam never really liked directions, though he knows them now whether he cares to or not. I lead him to the party field where all of our close friends and Sam’s family is waiting, and I remove the blindfold.

Everyone cheers “Happy Birthday!”

“You didn’t…” Sam begins, his face turning red. I knew he’d never agree to a party if I’d asked him, but now he can’t back out.

“Blame Pippin,” I whisper. “It was his idea to do a surprise party.”

Sam hesitates for a moment, looking as if he’s wondering whether he should kill Pippin or thank him, then I push him forward to where Rosie is waiting by the set up dance floor.

Pippin had called up a few cousins who could play his favorite instruments to be the band for the day and they play beautifully as the few couples dance. The cheerful music seems to lift my spirits a little and I smile as I watch the dancers.

I notice my cousin Pervinca out there dancing with a strange hobbit I haven’t met yet. I walk over to question Pippin about it.

“Oh, that’s one of Merimas Brandybuck’s relatives. His name is Corin. I believe he’s Merimas’ third cousin twice removed on his father’s side and his fifth cousin once removed on his mother’s,” Pippin explains, handing me a mug of ale.

I wave my hand, lost at third cousin. I never liked genealogies very much. I know it’s very un-hobbity of me, but while I find them boring when compared to the exciting tales in the history of Middle-earth.

“He’s really nice, though,” Pippin is continuing. “He’s started courting Pervinca and they may get married later next fall, if Da approves.”

I nod, still watching the dancers. I hadn’t realized she was now old enough to get married.

“Frodo, is Marigold all right?” Pippin asks me, watching Sam’s youngest sister standing all alone on the edge of the dance floor. She looks kind of sad, and I know why.

Rose’s brother Tom has gone to Michel Delving to buy farm supplies and Marigold has no one to dance with. They are planning on getting married around the same time as Rosie and Sam, as soon as Sam makes up his mind to ask her.

I step up beside Marigold and bow.

“Hello, Mr. Frodo,” she says, smiling gently at me.

“Hello, Marigold. I was wondering if you’d like to dance?” I ask, extending my hand to her as a wider smile lights up her face.

“I’d love to, Mr. Frodo,” she replies, then adds, “though I dare say my sisters’ll be right envious.”

We glance over to where Daisy and May are standing, helping Mrs. Cotton and Pearl prepare food for luncheon, and laugh at their indignant looks. Then we step onto he dance floor.

I find myself actually enjoying the next few hours, not only dancing with Marigold, but with Rosie and my cousins Pimpernel, and Pervinca.

At luncheon I sit with Sam and his Gaffer and the conversation never strayed far from gardening, and I could see that Sam and I were both glad of that. He seems to be enjoying himself today as well.

I begin to wonder if Sam has decided to ask Rosie to marry him yet. His nightmares are less frequent now, and not quite as frightening. I wish I could say the same of mine, but ever since the thirteenth they’ve been worse, whether Sam is gone or not.

After luncheon we play games that I’ve not played since we left the Shire. They are fun games such as Capture the Flag, and Blindhobbit’s Bluff; games we played as children. I am sure the children here find it funny to see all of us grown-ups playing their games.

It seems that today of all days a renewed vigor has come upon me, and I am thankful for it, hoping that it will last a very long time. There is something about this day that has a healing quality to it. I remember back to my parent’s accident. I was just turning twelve and they had died only two months before. The pain of their passing had not left me for a long time, but on this day I felt, as I feel now, that something wonderful had taken place and that I, of all people could not be sad. I never realized till afterwards what exactly had occurred that day.

I am watching now as Sam blows out the candles on his birthday cake, wondering now if it was only chance that he was born the year my parents died. That cannot be so.

“What did you wish for, Sam?” I ask him, as I did every year when we were young.

“You’ll know if it happens,” he replies with the same gleam in his eyes. Only this time, the smile makes way for a look of pure joy and happiness instead of his old mischievous grin. He points up at the Mallorn tree to where three lone white flowers have bloomed. His love and hard work have paid off with the tree. I feel a gleam of hope returning to me.

He hugs me tight and I laugh with pleasure, then push away to accept the piece of lemon cake Rosie hands.

“I do hope your wish comes true, dearest,” I say, leaning back in my chair to gaze up at the beautiful little blossoms.

* * *

I wake this morning to see Sam sitting beside me on the edge of the bed. “How’d you sleep, dear?” he asks, smiling at me.

”Quite well,” I reply. “Did you have to fight Wanderer to be the one to wake me up?” I look down at my cat, rubbing himself against Sam’s leg, purring loudly.

“He gave up when I gave him something to eat,” Sam says. “Now, get up and get dressed and meet me in the kitchen in ten minutes. There’s something I want to show you. I haven’t given you my birthday present yet.”

I look at him questioningly, but he gives me no further explanation. He stands, kisses my forehead, then leaves.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List