Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

17 ~ Good News

My nightmares return every time Sam leaves Hobbiton. Somehow my subconscious mind cannot get around the fact that he’s not close enough if I need him. I don’t really need him close by much anymore, not like I did in Mordor, or soon afterwards. I want him here, but I don’t really need him. Yet my mind at night in the dream realm tells me something may happen to me and Sam won’t be there to save me.

I find myself eating less as well, and I know Rosie notices, though she doesn’t tell Sam. She promised him to look after me while he is gone. My appetite isn’t fully returned yet, and I only eat more to make Sam feel better, but I don’t enjoy it.

Now I am laying awake in bed, wondering if I dare tackle the next part of our story alone. It’s been almost two weeks since I started it, and I’ve just now gotten to the Old Forest. Much of our time there is blurry to me. I remember the Barrow-wights quite clearly and…and Tom not disappearing when he put the Ring on. I remember Goldberry. I remember how kind she was to us, and how beautiful she was. But aside from that my memory is foggy.

Wanderer leaps on my bed and curls up on my chest, licking my nose before falling asleep. I smile. Maybe with Wanderer protecting me my nightmares won’t come tonight.

* * *

“You look as if you’d got a good night sleep, Mr. Frodo,” Rosie whispers to me at breakfast.

I smile at her, not saying anything as her twin brother Jolly comes to sit across from us.

“Morning, Mr. Frodo!” he says cheerfully as his mother starts setting food on the table.

“Good morning,” I say, catching Wanderer just before he leaps from one empty chair to the table. I stroke his head gently as the rest of the family enters for breakfast.

“There’s a letter for you, Mr. Frodo,” Mr. Cotton says, handing me one envelope out of his stack of papers. “Messenger came early this morning. Said this letter was important.”

I take the letter and tear it open, recognizing Merry’s handwriting on the front.

My dear cousin,

I’m writing to inform you that Sam is doing a marvelous job with the flowers out here. He’s done wonders with the Hall, made it look almost normal again! Oh, and Brend is getting married and wants you to come to the wedding. He invited Sam, too. It’s in a few days. Perhaps you could drag your worn and weary self over here for a few days to spend with us all before hand?

Love always,

Merry

I glance up at Mr. Cotton. “I’m leaving for Buckland today.”

“Is everything all right?” Mrs. Cotton asks.

“One of my old friends is getting married in a few days, and he wanted me to be there,” I reply.

She smiles. “Oh how lovely! And while you’re at it, you can check on Sam and see how he’s keepin’ with them Bucklanders.”

I grin. “I’m sure he’s doing just fine,” I assure her. “I’ll bring him back with me in a week.”

“Tell him we miss him,” Rosie says, smiling.

“I will, Rose,” I reply.

* * *

I mount Strider late this morning, my saddle bags full of the few things I’ll need. I have left Wanderer to Rosie’s care. I bought her a little jewelry box with a lock she was admiring at the Market to keep her hair ribbons in so Wanderer can’t get at them. I wave to her and my cat, then ride off.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List