Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

7 ~ Rumors

“Have you heard any of them?” Sara asks. “They’ve been circulating since late November, no doubt started by sour relatives of Mrs. Sackville-Baggins.”

I shake my head. I hadn’t heard them, or even knew they existed.

Uncle Sara sighs. “Well, there are those who are saying that you and Sam are far too close for comfort.”

My eyes open suddenly, shocked. “What!? Who would say that?” This is just plain insulting. That anyone would stoop so low as to attack my honour is disconcerting.  “He’s like my brother, Uncle. Like my family. That’s as close as it is,” I say. “We’ve been through a lot together.”

“I’m not questioning that, Frodo. I’m only saying that people will believe what they want to believe,” he replies. “Whether it’s the truth or not.”

“What else are they saying?” I ask, letting my head fall into my hands.

“They’re saying it was rather convenient that Lobelia gave you Bag End the day you became the one in charge of such affairs,” Sara comments. “And one I heard just recently is that you only became Deputy Mayor so that the King could gain more control over the Shire, and bring Men back.”

“So they’re attacking Aragorn as well?” I shake my head in despair.

“Don’t give up, Frodo,” Uncle Sara says, putting a hand on my shoulder. “I know they aren’t true and Paladin knows they aren’t true. We just wanted you to be prepared incase someone were to say something tonight at the party.”

I nod. “Thank you Uncle,” I say, glancing up at him.

“You’re very welcome, lad. I love you.” He kisses the top of my head and I smile.

“I love you, Uncle.”

“Do know, Paladin and I will do all in our power to stop these rumors. And if certain people won’t listen to the Thain and Master, then that is their problem.” He smiles at me encouragingly, then says, “Let’s go into the parlor now.”

I rise and follow him out.

Merry, Sam and Pippin are all crowded on the one couch in the room with Esme, Tina and Paladin on a few chairs. They are in the process of having new furniture made as their old pieces were used as extra kindling during the Troubles.

I go to sit on the floor by Sam’s feet, but he stops me.

“I’ll sit there, Frodo. You sit up here,” he says, rising.

I smile. “Oh, no, Sam dear, that’s quite all right. I prefer sitting on the ground to being squished by giants.” I glance playfully at my cousins, who both roll their eyes.

I sink to the floor and rest my head against Pippin’s knee. Sam gives up arguing, knowing he won’t win, and sits back down.

“We’re having the Big Party tonight,” Aunt Tina is saying. “Almost everyone we know and more are attending, as this is the first official party since before the Troubles.”

“And there is no lack of food or drink,” Pippin adds, absentmindedly playing with my hair. “Almost every farm around has given what they can afford to make this Yule special.”

“So it isn’t just limited to the Smials?” I ask, surprised. That is usually the case; those that live there and close relations.

“Oh no!” Aunt Tina exclaims. “We’ve practically invited the whole Shire! And it’s a good thing the Smials are so big, or else we’d never find enough room. As it is, we’re erecting quite a few pavilions out back for the food and dinner tables.”

She seems as happy as a lass with a new pet. I smile. I haven’t seen her like this since before we left. She’s been so worried about Pippin. More so, I think, then Esme worried about Merry and I. Which is strange, as Aunt Tina is not much of a worrier.

“Oh, I do hope this turns out, Tina!” Aunt Esme says. “It is going to be so much fun!”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List