Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

5 ~ Bag End

Sam and I step across the threshold of Bag End. It's been two weeks since Lobelia gave it to me, and today is the first time I've gone back.

The inside reeks of grubby Men, and most of the floors and walls are dirty. The furniture is ruined and the doors are falling off their hinges.

I stand in the doorway of what used to be my bedroom and see that it has been transformed into a rather cluttered, dirty office.

"This place is a worse mess than I expected," Sam exclaims. "If Saruman weren't dead, I'd kill him!"

I sigh. "There's so much work do be done here, and I don't have time for it." I remember the boxes of paperwork needing to be signed and filed properly. The task is almost as daunting as climing the Mountain of Fire, and nearly as high.

"Don't you worry, Frodo. I'll take care of this for you," Sam says, squeesing my good shoulder. "I might not get to it 'till after Yule, but I'll get to it."

"Thank you, Sam," I say, glancing around the parlor one last time. I see a basket in the corner with something fuzzy in it.

"Sam!" I exclaim. "Look!" I hurry over to the tint kitten in the basket and find a note attached.

"His name is Wanderer. I don't have enough money to take care of him, and his Mum died," I read the note.

"Somebody must've been in here lately," Sam states. "The lock on the door's been broken, so who knows who's been in here."

"Do you think the Cotton's would mind if I keep him?" I ask, looking up at Sam.

"P'raps. He's awful cute," Sam replies petting the kitten's head. Sam has always liked cats.

I pick the kitten up and he licks my nose. "Wanderer, is it?" I say. "I think we've all had enough wandering, don't you think?"

Sam smiles and chuckles.

I glare at him jokingly. "Don't tell me you never talk to Bill. I've seen you do it." That silences him and we walk out of the hole.

* * *

"Reminds me of your first cat, Pip," Merry says when we get back to the Cotton farm. They are staying the night, and plan on leaving for Crickhollow in the morning.

"No, not in the least," Pippin retorts. "My first cat was big, scary and as ugly as a horse's backside."

"Watch it Pip, the lasses are still here," Merry reminds our beloved cousin.

Rosie laughs. "We don't mind," she replies, smiling at Pippin.

Pippin blushes. Rosie can do that to any of us four. Her smile reminds me of an Elf maiden's.

"So what's his name?" Rosie asks, leaning over the table to pet him.

"Wanderer," I reply. "They didn't leave an explanation why."

"I think he's lovely," Marigold says, coming up to stand by Rose.

"Will your Da let me keep him, Rose?" I ask, looking up at her hopefully.

"I don't see why not," she says. "We've plenty of animals here. One more shouldn't be a problem."

I smile and Sam meets my gaze, smiling as well.

I put Wanderer's basket by my bed, and find a box to fill with sand to put in the corner for him.  I find a blanket for him, as the nights are getting colder the closer we get to December. Then I sit back and smile. The wanderer has found a home.

I join the others in the parlor intil dinner. It makes me happy to hear my dear friends talking about normal hobbit things. They all seem so happy now, despite the Troubles. They have moved on much faster than I can.

I sit between Sam and Pippin tonight, wrapped in my blanket with Wanderer curled up in my lap.

“I think he likes you, Fro,” Pippin says to me, watching the kitten lick my thumb.

“I’m glad,” I reply, smiling. “He’s a very sweet cat. Perhaps his name should have been Pippin.”

Pippin shakes his head. “I’m honored, cousin, but I do believe his name should have been Sam.”

Sam glances at Pippin. “Oh, no. His name should have been Frodo.”

I shake my head and smile. I like Wanderer’s name the way it is. Merry saves me by saying, “Nay, friends, his name should have been Merry, for we all know I am the sweetest.”

The room erupts in laughter.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List