Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Regret  by Misty

Disclaimers: None of the characters are mine, nor is Middle Earth, or any concepts created by Tolkien. I certainly don't make any money from any of this.


2006 MEFA nominee

Warning: This is a little different from my previous stories, but, as usual, I took great care to make sure that my stories would fit in well with Tolkien's universe. The one problem I found was the timing of events. After I wrote this, I realized that Aragorn would have been in Rohan and Gondor during the time frame of this story. Due to this fact, I would have to label this story as slightly AU. Please let me know what you think. This story started out as one thing, but ended up as something quite different than I originally thought it would be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One


Legolas sat cross-legged in the middle of Aragorn’s bed and watched his friend move around the room, packing his travel bags. Aragorn was more serious than usual, quiet. Legolas didn’t know why, but Aragorn always grew quiet at this time of year. For the past ten years, if it were at all possible, Aragorn would pack his bags and take a solitary trip for a couple of weeks. Legolas didn’t know where he went on these trips, or what he did, but he had wondered about them for years. He had never been able to get Aragorn to tell him, and the twins didn’t know where he went, either. The only one who might know was Lord Elrond, and Legolas knew he would never get Elrond to tell him.

He decided to ask Aragorn again. The worst that would happen was that Aragorn would refuse to tell him, again. And there was always the chance that he would wear Aragorn down so that he would answer simply to keep Legolas from asking him yet again.

“So, where do you go on these trips of yours, Aragorn? You’ve been taking them for ten years, and I still know not where you go.” His eyes never left Aragorn as he moved about the room.

Aragorn didn’t stop his preparations as he checked the medicine bag that he took on all his trips. “There is a reason that you do not know, Legolas. Please do not ask me again.”

Legolas shrugged easily. The direct approach did not seem to be working. Perhaps he should try something else.

“I would not be so curious if I thought you actually enjoyed these trips. I would simply assume that you had a favorite place to visit that you did not wish to share with anyone. I can understand if you need time to yourself once in a while. But you do not act as though you truly want to go. And yet, the few times you have been unable to go, you have become positively morose. I do not like what happens to you every year at this time.” Legolas was truly worried about his friend and the reasons behind these trips.

“Then it is probably a good thing that you do not accompany me,” Aragorn said calmly.

Legolas sighed. Aragorn was either missing the point, or more likely, deliberately ignoring the point. “Aragorn, I have made this offer before, and I will make it again. There is some event in your past that you have not discussed with anyone. That is not healthy. If you need to talk about this, I am willing to listen, as always.”

“I thank you for the offer,” Aragorn said. “But I must decline. I may not have discussed this with you, but that does not mean that I have not discussed it with anyone.”

Legolas found his reaction to that strangely mixed. He was glad that Aragorn was not keeping everything locked up inside, but he was actually somewhat hurt that Aragorn would turn to someone else, but not to him. He thought their friendship was closer than that.

“Well, whoever you are talking with, they are not doing much to help you if you still react this way after ten years.” Legolas regretted the words the moment he spoke them. He knew that they had come about from the hurt he felt that Aragorn would not speak of this with him.

At that, Aragorn stopped packing and looked at Legolas with a hint of anger in his eyes. “It is not their place to make me feel better, Legolas. This is not something I can simply put aside, no matter how many years pass. This trip is about facing my mistakes, and that is all I will say on the matter. This does not concern you, Legolas, and I would prefer you to stay out of it.”

Legolas narrowed his eyes at Aragorn. “I apologize for my thoughtless words, but this does not sound like you, mellon-nin.”

Aragorn sighed as his anger leached away. “Perhaps you do not know me as well as you believe.” Aragorn placed the last item in his bags, and then gathered them up. His horse was saddled and ready. It was time to leave. He walked out of his room and Legolas kept pace beside him. They walked to the stables in silence.

Aragorn secured his bags to the saddle and turned to face Legolas. “I am sorry for my harsh words, Legolas. I must leave now. Will you stay here until I return?”

Legolas nodded. “I will be here as long as Father does not call me home. I wish you would let me share this burden of yours, my friend. Maybe then it would not seem so heavy.” Legolas stroked the mane of Aragorn's horse and gazed at his friend across the horse's back.

Aragorn shook his head. “This burden is mine and mine alone, Legolas. No one else can carry it. But do not look so worried. These trips are not without their redeeming qualities.” He mounted his horse and nodded to Legolas. “Namárië, mellon-nin.”

Legolas nodded in return. “Namárië, Aragorn. Fare well, my friend.” He stood watching as Aragorn rode out of the stable yard and out of sight. He walked slowly back to his room, thinking over the conversation. That was the most he had ever heard from Aragorn about the purpose of these trips. What he had just heard, though, he didn’t like. It sounded like Aragorn was in trouble. Aragorn was usually far too stubborn to ask for help when he needed it. “Pigheaded Dúnadan,” he muttered as he reached his room. He quickly threw together a traveling pack, then went to find Lord Elrond. He notified Elrond that something unexpected had arisen and he would have to leave immediately.

Elrond accepted his explanations and apologies easily. He went to the balcony and watched as Legolas retrieved his horse and left Imladris on the same path that Aragorn had used. Elrond smiled knowingly. “I expected you to do this years ago, Legolas,” he murmured to himself. “You showed far more patience than I would have thought you capable of.”





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List