Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

For the Love of a Friend  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter 8, Gift of Love

April 7

Merry studied the game-cloth intensely and then smiled when Pippin let go of his “draughts-pebble”. “Hullo!” he said, taking the double jump with his own dark coloured pebble. Looking at Pippin, Merry made an observation at his friend’s expression. “You’re not concentrating, are you?”

Pippin shook his head. “Normally, I’d be giving you a run for your pence, but I can’t help thinking about Frodo when he wakes up tomorrow.”

Merry nodded in agreement, squinting in the rays of the setting sun, “Me, too.”

After their Feast of Honour held late in the afternoon, the cousins decided to play a few games of draughts. Sometimes Gimli or Legolas would join in and play the winner, but usually, it would be Merry and Pippin against one another.

Aragorn stretched his long legs out in front of his chair, smoking his pipe at the table of honour set up under the shade of a tall oak tree. He had been watching the pair play their latest draughts game. “A watched pot never boils, my friends,” he said with a slight grin at Pippin’s comment.

“Yes, if you continue to dwell on it, tomorrow will never come,” Gimli chimed in, also taking his ease at the table. He, too, spouted smoke from his mouth.

“In a little while,” Aragorn continued, “Éomer and I will take you both aside and instruct you on your serving duties for tomorrow’s feast. Perhaps that will help the evening pass more quickly for you.”

“Aye, it will,” said Pippin, covering his mouth as a wee belch escaped past his lips. “Today’s feast was most excellent!”

“Yes, it was!” Merry added, patting his full tummy. “Thank you again, Aragorn.”

“You are most welcome, Merry,” replied Aragorn, “however, the feast was intended to thank you and Pippin.”

Both Pippin and Merry blushed. It was about this time that a pleasant diversion approached the table at which the hobbits and their friends sat.

“Good evening, my lords,” said *Beregond with low bow. In his arms he bore a thin, rectangular box covered with a white cloth. Around his forehead was wrapped a white linen bandage from his own injury in battle with the same troll that nearly crushed the life out of Pippin. “May I?” he asked Aragorn, although Beregond’s grey eyes held a sparkle as he glanced toward Pippin. He had inquired to Aragorn earlier if he could present a gift to the person who had saved his life, nearly forfeiting his own in the process. Once he had seen the gift, the King readily assented.

“By all means,” Aragorn answered.

Beregond approached, carefully setting the cloth-covered box upon the table. The former Guard of the Citadel knelt to look the young Perian in his bright, green eyes, but before he could utter the first words he had practiced all day long, his own eyes filled with unshed tears. He bowed his head until the overwhelming emotions passed.

“I...,” Beregond began in a whisper, “I wish to...” He pushed the formality and recital of words aside in favour of expressing himself straight from the heart.

Pippin had no idea of what his friend was trying to say, however, he took one of Beregond’s hands in a tender gesture, hoping it would give this stout soldier the emotional support that he needed at the moment. No sound could be heard; only the twittering of birds high above in the treetops.

Finally, the tall Man mastered his voice again, looking Pippin in the eyes, he spoke. “There...are no words, Sir Peregrin, that can express my deepest gratitude, my heartfelt thankfulness, for saving my life.” Beregond sniffled, taking the handkerchief Merry offered to wipe his nose and eyes. “It is because of you that my son is not fatherless.

“As a lesser token of my gratefulness, I offer you this gift--in remembrance of our friendship while you are far away in your own little country...and in no small measure, my undying friendship.”**

Pippin cast an astonished glance toward Merry and then Aragorn.

“Open it, Pip,” Merry’s soft voice prompted his beloved cousin.

Pippin quietly removed the white cloth that was concealing the gift.

“Oh!” Pippin said in complete delight at the dark, well-polished wood. “It’s...it’s... What is it?”

Beregond laughed, “Open the latches.” He turned the box around in Pippin’s hands and assisted the tween in releasing one of the brass flip-latches, then allowed him to open the other one on his own.

Merry leaned up on the table for a better view as Pippin opened his gift. Both young hobbits gasped at the splendour they saw inside. Pippin could smell the new leather of the hand-crafted playing board that bound the wood, which was polished to a high gloss. The grid on the playing side was painted in alternating light and dark brown squares to match the leather. Round, flat disks painted in red and black were neatly lined inside the brown velvet space that encased the draughtsmen. There was a small gold knob upon a velvet lid that Pippin lifted, but it only revealed an empty compartment underneath. Pippin politely said nothing, merely continuing to admire the artistry and skill of the maker.

“Did you make this, Beregond?” Pippin asked, still quite stunned.

“Some of it, yes,” the man replied. “I made the draughtsmen, polished the game board and glued the velvet to the box. However, I must confess that I had help otherwise.”

“This is wonderful!” Pippin exclaimed. He looked up at Merry who smiled back at him. “Do you mind if I asked who helped you?”

“Another comrade of ours, Brandir, is a master craftsman with wood. When he discovered who I was presenting this to, he begged to carve the chess pieces. The empty space you saw will soon be filled with intricately carved chessmen. Not only did he wish to honour you in his own way, but you apparently remind him of his son who, in appearance, seems to be about your age although I have since conveyed to him that there are differences when it concerns the Pheriannath.”

Pippin once again looked over the lavish gift. “This is beautiful!  I...I don’t know what to say, Beregond.”

Beregond smiled. “Merely say that you will accept this small symbol of our everlasting friendship.”

“I do,” Pippin said with a sincere smile. “Thank you.”

TBC

Sorry--I accidentally lied again. I thought I’d be able to wrap it up in this last chapter. Guess not.

* Beregond is a new addition to the story. I entertained the idea of bringing his character into the story when I started the re-write, however, it was Lindelea's review that really nudged me.

**Lastly, this is the same draughts game that Pippin so reverently shares a game with Diamond and Merry in “The Courtship of Peregrin Took”. Garnet Took wondered in one of her reviews how Pippin came upon his gift. There you are, G.T.!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List