Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In This Far Land  by Encaitariel

Chapter 3: Oaths and Allegiances (FA20)

It was close to midday when King Nolofinwë called the Gathering. A dais was set up at the north end of a field next to the Narog. Nolofinwë's chair sat upon the dais, and a blue awning with silver embroidered stars hung over it. The elves gathered for the Mereth Aderthad were arranged along either side of the king by kindred and House: along Nolofinwë's left were the Houses of the Noldor, each under their banner, beginning with the King's children and their liege-men; ranging through the House of Arafinwë; and, finally, the Dispossessed House of Fëanáro, represented by his two eldest sons and their warriors. To the right of the dais were the Houses of the Úmanyar: Daeron and Mablung closest to the King, being messengers from their King Thingol; Círdan with the Falathrim and various wandering Sindar of Beleriand; and the Laiquendi of Ossiriand who followed Lygnô, for they would no longer take a king.

The Lords of the Houses of the Noldor, both great and less, were each dressed in silks and velvets of their house colors. The richness of their clothing and the variety of their bright colors were a marvel to eyes not accustomed to such pomp. Reds, greens and blues of various shades and values made the host of the Noldor a riot of color. The children of the House of Finwë each wore a circlet to denote their rank: gold for the House of Nolofinwë, silver for the House of Arafinwë. Bright gems they wore and long, fair swords were at the sides of the lords and their warriors.

The Sindar, grey-elves of the twilight, wore cool blues and greys. Less ostentatious was their raiment than that of their Amanyar cousins, but no less elegant. Of the Sindar, only Círdan wore a circlet of silver, as a lord in his own right; and Daeron, as a prince of Doriath.

The Laiquendi dressed, as always, in the colors of the forest; and Lygnô, their chief, wore a crown of ivy and pale blue flowers.

The Eldar were thus gathered to be formally presented to the King, and to each other. The Úmanyar were the first to present themselves before the King. Lygnô and Laicognô, his son, walked forward with three other chiefs of their people, Nolofinwë's herald announcing their names. They bowed before the dais, and Nolofinwë advanced to take Lygnô's arm. Gracious words of welcome and thanks were exchanged, and the Laiquendi retreated. Next, Círdan and several Sindar approached. Lastly, Daeron and Mablung stepped before Nolofinwë to present the greetings of their King and Queen.

Next, the lords of the Noldor advanced. Findecáno, Turucáno and Írissë stepped forward and bowed before their king. Nolofinwë smiled and warmly embraced each of his children. Then Findárato, Angárato, Aikánaro and Artanis approached and were no less warmly received by their uncle.

The last of the Noldorin houses to present themselves before the King were the sons of Fëanáro. Only Maitimo and Makalaurë had accepted the King's invitation, and they brought few of their people with them. As they walked up the avenue of elves to the canopied dais of the King, all eyes were on the brothers. From the House of Arafinwë, and a great many of Nolofinwë, disapproval and veiled hostility radiated. The Úmanyar looked on in wonder at these mighty and fell Noldor, resplendent in their silks and gems. Long bright swords hung at their sides, and their hair hung loose, free of any plait or ornament.

The sons of Fëanáro looked neither left nor right as they approached Nolofinwë. Their faces showed no emotion; their eyes betraying neither indignation nor repentance.

"Hmf," said Eldalotë quietly. "Look at them. One son of Fëanáro has enough pride for a host of elves, and here we have two. Where are the other five, I wonder?"

"Morgoth has been contained, sister," replied Eärnyellë, "but it is still not prudent to leave the North and East undefended."

"If that's the case, then it would have been best if these two sons of Fire had stayed away as well."

"That surely would have caused unnecessary questions from the Úmanyar," said Eärnyellë. A slight frown of disapproval creased her brow. "Both Nolofinwë and the sons of Fëanáro seem to desire to keep the full circumstances of our arrival quiet. Too much public animosity between us and the elder house of Finwë would be bad politics. And since it is then their wish to at least appear united, it is much better that the more intemperate of Fëanáro's sons stay far away."

Eldalótë looked at her sister incredulously. "Surely the ill feelings between our Houses must be apparent for all to see! They are, after all, the Dispossessed."

Eärnyellë only shrugged.

Maitimo and Makalaurë swept low bows before the dais.

'Court manners,' thought Eärnyellë, slightly amused. 'Those two, at least, have enough sense to know when appearing too proud is imprudent.'

Maitimo then stepped forward to kneel at the feet of the King. He pressed his right hand to the stump of his left before Nolofinwë in a gesture of submission, although his back was straight and his eye gazed boldly into those of the King. Makalaurë knelt behind him.

A ripple of amazement passed through the gathered Noldor. Eärnyelle and Eldalotë both drew in a breath in surprise.

Maitimo had abjured the crown in favor of his uncle, but he had never offered his fealty. Neither had Nolofinwë asked for it. Nolofinwë had clasped the hands of his sons and of the sons of his brother Arafinwë in acceptance of their offered homage in Mithrim. Maitimo and all of his brothers had been present, but none had stepped forward to pledge themselves to their new King. His younger brothers' motives were uncertain, but Maitimo was reticent to swear an oath when he was already driven by an all-consuming Oath. Nolofinwë was wary of the same, and so did not press any of them. Now, though, he found the eldest son of Fëanáro kneeling before him, offering him both his fealty and that of his House.

The King's face never changed as he looked at his nephew, never betraying his qualms.

"Why have you come before me, Maitimo Nelyafinwë?" he asked in firm, sonorous Quenya. His words both of the formula and asking the reason for this unexpected gesture.

"My King," replied Maitimo, veering from the traditional words to answer his uncle's implied question, "I come for the good of both of our peoples to offer you my obedience in all, save that which pertains to the oath which binds my heart."

Nolofinwë's eyes hardened slightly, and jaw tightened imperceptibly, but he placed his hands around Maitimo's. "I accept your offer of fealty, Maitimo Fëanárion," he said, "on behalf of yourself and of your people."

He dropped his hands and motioned for Maitimo to rise. The King placed his hands on his new liege-man's shoulders and placed a kiss on both of his cheeks. Nolofinwë held Maitimo's eyes for a moment before he nodded shortly and sat down.

Maitimo backed down from the dais, and he and his brother once again bowed low before their King. Their scarlet cloaks flared behind them as they turned and walked back to their places, heads high and faces as impassive as when they had come.

Cálion stared at the bright lords. His uncles never had anything good to say about the lords of the House of Fëanáro, and his aunt Eldalotë refused to even hear their names. He did not yet know why these proud and powerful lords evoked such strong reactions from elves usually so composed, but now, watching them as they walked away from Nolofinwë, Cálion was awed by their powerful presence and the fierce fire burning deep in their eyes.

As he walked past the House of Arafinwë, Makalaurë's eyes were caught by a golden-haired child leaning against Angaráto's sister-in-law. Eyes the color of harebells locked with his. Where had he seen those eyes before?

A crease appeared on Makalaurë's brow, as he looked away. He was not yet sure what he had seen in the child's eyes during the brief moment they had connected. The field of a battle. An elf with flaming red hair, and only one hand, on his knees before a golden elf with fury and anger in his blue eyes. Eyes the color of early spring harebells, burning as bright as the gems Makalaurë's father used to make. The fey golden warrior held a glittering sword to the other elf's neck.

It was just the flash of an instant, yet it caused a deep sense of foreboding in Makalaurë's heart. What new horrors were in store as a result of the Oath? And what of this new oath his brother had just sworn? Makalaurë was sure that a day would come when they must be forsworn of one or the other of these two oaths, and he had no illusions about which bound his and his brothers' hearts closest. Every oath will be forsworn but that one Oath sworn in Tirion in the heat of passion, naming the Valar, the Void and Ilúvatar. In the end, every bond will be broken, but that desire to which they had bound themselves.

---------------------------------

Later that afternoon, the great ones of the House of Arafinwë, minus their lord, were gathered in Findárato's pavilion. The minds of the adults were troubled by the events they had just witnessed.

Lord Angárato sat with his arms crossed over his chest, brooding. His wife sat next to him, fingers drumming on her arms. Lord Aikanáro paced back and forth. Lady Artanis sat in contemplation, fingers idly running over the design of her forgotten embroidery. Artaresto sat on the floor with Cálion, playing a game of Pelë, although his eyes, too, were troubled and he kept looking over at his father.

Eärnyellë watched all of her relations while her mind played over the actions of the sons of Fëanáro. Her eyes fell to her two nephews beside her. She smiled slightly when she saw the state of the board.

'If Artaresto does not pay more attention to his game,' she thought, 'his young cousin will catch him unawares.'

A fact which did not go unnoticed by the younger elf. Cálion placed one of his pieces firmly in position and removed five of his cousin's white sari from the board. "Artaresto," he said with a grin, "if you don't pay more attention, I'll win this game. Then I'll be able to use only three teaching stones next time."

Artaresto looked back at the board, which was dominated by black bordered territory, and shook his head. He wasn't too upset, Cálion was due to lose a teaching stone with him soon anyway. "I'm sorry, Cálion. My mind's not on what I'm doing. We'll have to replay this one later."

Cálion sighed and nodded. He began to put the sari back into their bowls.

"Come here, Cálion," Eärnyellë said. "And bring the board. I will play a game with you, if you like."

Cálion nodded eagerly and reset the board in front of his aunt. As Eärnyellë and Cálion began their game, the flap of the pavilion opened and everyone turned their attention to the entrance. Instead of the expected head of their House, Turucáno, Itáril and Írissë walked in. Itáril immediately walked over to watch Cálion and Eärnyellë's game.

The adults looked at each other. No words needed to pass between them, they knew why they were all here: as soon as the Gathering had broken up, Findecáno and Findárato had left to talk to Maitimo. Their siblings knew that if any were able to get straight answers from the two eldest sons of Fëanáro, it would be them.

Iríssë sat next to Artanis and began to fidget with her hands idly in her lap. She itched to be moving about, but there was no way she was going to follow her cousin Aikánaro in pacing the room.

Turucáno sighed and moved to sit down on the other side of Angárato.

The only sounds in the room were of slate and shell hitting the wood board, and the whisper of silk as Aikánaro paced.

This was the scene that met Findárato and Findecáno as they walked into the tent. Findárato stopped and looked over his family for a moment, his eyes meeting those of Angárato. Findecáno threw his cloak over a nearby chair and walked further into the room.

"Well?" Asked Iríssë, looking at her brother. Findecáno only sighed and shook his head.

"Why?" Asked Artanis.

"Why, what, sister?" Answered her eldest brother.

"Why would Maitimo pledge fealty now, when he and his brothers refused before?" Turucáno spoke the question that was on all of their minds.

"And in front of the Úmanyar, no less!" cried Aikánaro. "How could Uncle refuse without stirring up rumors?"

"Their actions have already stirred curiosity, I do not doubt," added Eldalótë.

Findárato sat in a chair facing his family, his face thoughtful as he replied, "I just asked Maitimo a very similar question, and I do not quite know what to make of his answer." He looked to Findecáno, who only shook his head again. He did not share Findárato's fears.

"Tell us, toron, and perhaps we can help make sense of it," said Angárato, quietly.

"Oh, comprehension is not the problem," said Findárato, sitting up and leaning forward on the arms of his chair. "His answer troubles me and I do not know if it is for good or ill." He sighed and continued. "He said he did it now, in front of the Úmanyar, to force both himself and the King to do something that they both knew ought be done, but were afraid to do. He said that he did it so that he could not back out once he had set his course."

Silence greeted Findárato as his family took in his words. Finally, Artanis spoke, her brow furrowed. "If Maitimo feels that this action will make his fealty more binding," she asked, "then why do you fear ill of it, Ingoldo? Should it not rather temper their impetuosity?"

"You forget, cousin," said Turucáno, "our uncle's seven sons are bound in blood by another Oath. When push comes to shove, which do you think will win?"

Findecáno made a frustrated sound. "I do not understand why you all persist in mistrusting Maitimo and Makalaurë!" He threw up his hands. "I thought that our differences were settled in Mithrim."

Eldalótë glanced at Turucáno, who was silent, before rising and declaring, "There are some things, Findecáno, which cannot be forgotten, and very hardly forgiven!"

Before anyone could respond, Findárato held up his hand. "Peace," he said, and glanced at Eärnyellë, who had been trying to keep the attention of Itarillë and Cálion while their elders argued.

She nodded and led the two younger elves out of the tent. "Come, híni," she said. "It is time to prepare for dinner."

When they had gone, Findecáno sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "All of us," he said, "have been wronged by our Uncle, and his sons are not completely blameless, either. But forgiveness has been begged and given for their parts in our trials. Why can we not put faith in the great-heartedness of the elder sons of Fëanáro to overcome the intemperance of their blood?"

"As long as they are faithful to their Oath, toronya," began Turucáno, but he was cut off by Angárato.

"Peace, all of you," he said, shaking his head. "Findecáno is right. Besides, what really changes with this new fealty Maitimo has given? He and his brothers have been no less steadfast to the King, than they would have been had they sworn seven oaths at Mithrim. However much the fell Oath of Fëanáro and the Doom of Manwë hangs over us all, let the past be forgiven and let reason sway the future."

"What think you, Ingoldo?" asked Artanis.

Findárato shrugged and shook his head. "What would you have me say, onónë? Forgiveness is a gift of Eru, and should be granted whether asked for or not. Nolofinwë forgave his nephews nearly twenty years ago. Can we do no less, now, for our cousins? I do not question the sincerity of Maitimo and Makalaurë in this, I merely question the wisdom of their actions. But, who knows, my forebodings are probably for naught. And I pray that they are."

"As do we all, cousin," said Findecáno, quietly.

The children of the younger houses of Finwë were silent, each pondering in the depths of their own hearts, and each knowing that matter was, for the time-being, dropped, if not forgotten. When Findárato left his pavilion a short time later in search of his foster-son, he resolved not to let these events and his feelings of foreboding dampen the gaiety of the Mereth Aderthad. The land was green, the sky was bright, the stars still shone, and life still flowed through the rivers of Middle Earth. He felt that the Noldor were in the spring time of their reign in Endor, and that it would be many years and many great works before the autumn came.

------------------------------------

Cultural Notes:

The Oath of Fealty: This scene is based on common medieval practice. The words used in the real ceremony varied on place and circumstance, but those said here are typical. In the complexity of medieval politics, it was not uncommon for lesser kings or higher nobility to place reservations on their oaths of fealty to a higher king. We can look to England and France as an example: For many years after the Norman take-over of England, English kings (in their alternate capacity as Dukes of Normandy) were technically vassals of the French Crown. Despite what many French kings wanted to believe, the oath of fealty of the Duke of Normandy did not give France jurisdiction over England. Hence, the arising of the concept of "paying homage for" a certain place (i.e.- a certain territory or dukedom).
It is doubtful whether this would have been common Noldorin practice yet, as there is no indication of any autonomy among the Noldor of Aman (in fact, the social structure of Gondolin seems to suggest otherwise). However, as the Noldorin princes (and princesses) were intent on setting up their own kingdoms (plural) in Endor, it is possible to suppose that this was an intended development. Hence, the term "high king" used later by Fingolfin and his successors.
Nolofinwë is not happy with Maitimo's offer because of the Oath of Fëanor, not because Maitimo places reservations on his fealty. While Oaths of Fealty and Homage were almost always public before the courts involved, Maitimo is... playing the proud son of Fëanor by unnecessarily making a spectacle of the whole thing before "visiting dignitaries".

Mithrim: From The Silmarillion, Chapter 13, The Return of the Noldor: "By this deed [rescuing Maedhros from Thangorodrim] Fingon won great renown, and all the Noldor praised him; and the hatred between the houses of Fingolfin and Fëanor was assuaged. For Maedhros begged forgiveness for the desertion in Araman; and he waived his claim to the kingship over all the Noldor, saying to Fingolfin: 'If there lay no grievance between us, lord, still the kingship would rightly come to you, the eldest here of the house of Finwë, and not the least wise.' But to this his brothers did not all in their hearts agree."


Linguistic Notes:

Maitimo: Maedhros

Makalaurë: Maglor

Pelë: literally, to surround (Q)

sari: stones (Q)

toron: brother (Q)

híni: children (Q)

toronya: my brother (Q)

onónë: sister (Q)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List