Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Web of Treason  by Linda Hoyland

These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. Isaiah 11. 6 - The Bible

Éowyn tried her best to teach Elbeth how to use a dolly peg. However, her mind was not fully engaged with the task. She was far too worried about Aragorn. This was not the first she had seen the King wounded and feverish. When they had been at the Hunting Lodge, though, his ordeal had been of a short duration. Aided by his Númenorean strength, he had quickly recovered his health and spirits.

This time was very different, for he seemed to be as broken in spirit as in body. How she wished she could send for a more skilled and experienced Healer to tend his hurts. She had never been trained for anything like this; only the usual minor accidents and fevers, which most households could expect to befall them. Her main expertise was in women’s needs, most especially bringing babies into the world.

Then there was the pain, fear and distrust in Aragorn’s eyes when he looked at Faramir, which Éowyn felt was another obstacle to the King’s recovery. She had seen how the bond between them had sustained him before. He did have the advantage of his beloved Queen at his side, but Éowyn wondered if he venerated her so much that he might try to shield her from the pain he felt.

She was worried too about her husband too. He had changed so much since he had set out on this mission. There was a new hardness and darkness about him. It were as if he had lost some essential innocence, which had been part of him before.

She had witnessed similar occurrences many times in her life, in men who had seen and done terrible things during time of war. Faramir had been a brave soldier and respected Captain, who had managed to somehow keep his honour throughout the horrors of battle. Now, the look in eyes, suggested that he had lost that, which he held most dear.

He had indeed committed a grievous deed against his liege lord, however necessary it had been to save him. She did not greatly fear Aragorn’s wrath. After all, he had pardoned her for raising his own sword against him, for far less reason. However, she had not actually struck a blow as Faramir had. Nor had she been Aragorn’s closest, most trusted and best-loved friend.

She knew too, that Faramir’s soul was most likely as wounded as Aragorn’s body and more deeply than she could ever hope to understand. She found the intensity of both Elvish and Númenorean emotional bonds both bewildering and sometimes alarming. She sincerely hoped that Elestelle would take after her, rather than Faramir in that respect, though already she suspected a fey quality in the child.

“I’m bored!” announced Elbeth, breaking into her reverie.

“Have you turned the dolly peg a hundred times yet?” Éowyn asked, wringing out a shirt, preparatory to hanging it out to dry.

“Yes and it boring!” Elbeth protested. ”I want to help look after Strider!”

“Well, you can’t!” Éowyn snapped. As if she hadn’t enough troubles, without having to look after this infuriating child!

“Why not?” Elbeth demanded.

“Because there are plenty of grown ups to look after him now,” Éowyn told her. “Little girls do not look after sick men!”

Elbeth promptly burst into tears.

Somewhat ashamed of her harshness, for after all it was hardly the child’s fault that Faramir had felt obliged to bring her here, Eowyn rather awkwardly reached out towards her. Elbeth wriggled away as if expecting to be struck.

“Go and see if Uncle Faramir wants any help with the horses,” she said more gently, thinking he had had sufficient time alone with his thoughts. “Ask him to show you, my Windfola. He is a fine horse and he likes being made a fuss of. When I have more time, we will take him an apple and you shall make friends with him.”

Elbeth scuttled away, glad to escape.

Éowyn doggedly continued washing Aragorn and Faramir’s clothes, as well as the sheets that had been on the bed. She was just about to start on a dozen or so babies’ napkins when Bereth came in.

“May I help you, my lady?” she asked.

“Do we have anything to make a nourishing broth for my friend’s husband?” Éowyn enquired.

“I could kill a chicken and make him broth as well as a meal for us all,” Bereth replied.

“Thank, you, you are a good friend to us,” Éowyn said, smiling at the woman gratefully.

“I think I know who he is,” Bereth said quietly, “I will not endanger him, though, by speaking his name aloud. I shall say only, that it is a great honour to serve a man, such as him!”

“If all were as loyal to him as you and your brother, Bereth, our lord would be blessed indeed!” Éowyn replied. “I am certain that if he is able, he will reward you handsomely.”

“I desire no reward save that of serving my King!” the young widow replied, her eyes alight with devotion.

Glad to have some help with the cooking, Eowyn returned her attention to the washing. As a Princess of Rohan and of Ithilien, she had never had to do the household laundry herself. She vowed inwardly to appreciate her servants more in future, if she were ever returned to her rightful status.

A few hours later, the washing was hanging out to dry and Bereth almost had the meal ready. Elbeth had found a kitten to cuddle contentedly. Faramir had returned with her from the stables looking somewhat calmer. He had been singing her a song about bathing that he had learned from Pippin, which entertained her until the mother cat had reappeared with her kittens.

Éowyn went to see how the King was faring Arwen cradling him protectively in her arms.

“I have come to tell you that our meal is ready,” she told the Queen. “How is he?”

“A little more comfortable, I think,” Arwen replied.

“I will fetch some broth for him,” said Éowyn.

“I am not hungry,” Aragorn mumbled, without opening his eyes. The effort to wake up seemed too great. His whole body throbbed with pain and he sought to return to the merciful oblivion of sleep. “A drink will suffice.”

“You need to eat to restore your strength, beloved, “ Arwen said gently, holding a cup of water on the bedside table to his lips. “I will get you some food.”

Once he had drained the cup, she put it down and climbed out of bed. Just as she was donning her gown. Eldarion woke up and started to cry. His mother took him from his cradle and realised at once that he needed changing and feeding.

“I will feed Aragorn while you tend Eldarion and have something to eat yourself,” Éowyn volunteered.

“Thank you, “Arwen said gratefully.

“Send Faramir to me, I need to get out of bed,” said Aragorn.

The Queen took Eldarion into the other room to change him, while Éowyn sent her husband to attend the King.

“Can I see Strider now?” Elbeth asked interrupting Éowyn as she filled a bowl with broth for the King in the kitchen.

“Later, maybe,” Éowyn replied. ”Finish your dinner now!”

“But I want to see Strider!” Elbeth grumbled.

“You cannot always have what you want!” Éowyn retorted. She feared this child was going to be far too much like what she knew about her supposed sire. She had only met Boromir twice and had not much liked him, considering him somewhat arrogant and overbearing. She had come to realise that that was the fault of his over indulgent father. It baffled her why Denethor had so preferred the elder of his sons, to the extent that it was still sometimes hard to convince Faramir, that he was not inferior to his dead brother. She told him repeatedly that he was the greatest of his family, having staunchly resisted both the Ring and Sauron’s evil snares. To make matters worse, this child’s mother was both crazed and evil.

Éowyn entered with a tray, containing bowls of chicken broth and stewed fruit, just as Faramir was tucking the covers around Aragorn again.

“You go and eat now, “ she told her husband, placing the tray on the bedside table.

“I will be in the kitchen if you need me,“ Faramir said. He left but did not close the bedroom door behind him.

Éowyn settled herself on the side of the bed and dipped the spoon in the chicken broth. “I have some nice broth for you,” she said encouragingly, raising the spoon to Aragorn’s lips.

“I am not hungry,” Aragorn said morosely before clamping his mouth shut.

“You must eat,” Éowyn insisted.

“Does my word count for nothing any longer?” Aragorn demanded. “I want to rest and I want Arwen!”

“She will return soon,“ Éowyn replied, “Your son needs her care too. Now you must eat, open your mouth!”

“I am not hungry!” Aragorn opened his mouth just long enough to get the words out. ”And I am weary of being treated like a child!”

“Do not act like one, then!” Éowyn retorted, anxiety making her less than patient. “Open your mouth and let me feed you!”

“Let me try!” Elbeth had appeared in the open doorway. At that moment, Elestelle decided that she was hungry and started to cry demandingly. Exhausted after the morning’s exertions, and trying to cope with the demands of so many, Éowyn’s patience finally snapped completely.

“Didn’t I tell you to stay in the kitchen and eat your dinner, Elbeth?” she snapped, “ And you, Aragorn, are going to eat yours, even if I have to sit here all day!”

“Let her try!” Faramir’s quietly commanding voice was barely audible over the cacophony. “She has finished her own meal.”

Ignoring the adults, Elbeth clambered up on the bed and kissed Aragorn’s forehead affectionately. ”I missed you, Strider!” she said, “They wouldn’t let me see you!”

“I missed you too, Elbeth!” Aragorn managed to smile at the little girl’s obvious pleasure in seeing him.

“I’ve found some kittens to play with, I’ll bring them to show you,“ Elbeth prattled cheerfully.

“Come!” Faramir took his wife’s arm and guided her from the room.

A little later, once Elestelle was quieted, Éowyn dared put her head round the door again and was met by the sight of Elbeth spooning food into Aragorn’s mouth, which he was devouring obediently.

“I would never have believed it!” she remarked to Faramir, who had appeared at her side.

“Elbeth has a bond with Aragorn and he trusts her,” Faramir said somewhat wistfully.

The dishes emptied, Elbeth put down the spoon. “I will fetch the kittens to show you now, Strider,” she announced.

Aragorn smiled.

“They will get muddy paw prints over the bedcovers!” Éowyn fretted.

“We cover the bed with an old towel,” Faramir suggested.

Soon afterwards, three inquisitive kittens were exploring the counterpane and chasing some chicken feathers, which Eowyn had tied on a string. Aragorn was chuckling slightly at their antics.

When the kittens tired and fell asleep, followed soon after by the King, Éowyn called Elbeth to her side.

“I am sorry that I was so ill tempered earlier, “ she said.

“I’m used to grown ups being cross, “ the little girl replied without rancour.

Éowyn impulsively hugged her, realising that this child represented all that was good and warm hearted about the House of Hurin.” I have a very important job for you from now on,” she said.

“What is it? Doing the washing is boring!” Elbeth asked suspiciously.

Éowyn laughed. “No, you are far to valuable to waste doing that!” she said, “No, I want you to help look after the King.”

“That’s not a job!” Elbeth replied joyfully. “It’s fun helping Strider because he’s my friend!”

***

As the days passed, Aragorn gradually grew a little stronger and was able to get out of bed unassisted.

Faramir’s back was now much better too, so Arwen was able to sleep beside her husband at night. During the day, they took it in turns to sit with him. He seemed to especially enjoy Elbeth’s company and had told her stories of his youth.

Arwen, Faramir and Éowyn were still very worried however. Although the King’s body was healing, he was still morose and withdrawn. Only Elbeth seemed to have the ability to raise the occasional smile from his lips, though it never quite seemed to reach his haunted grey eyes.

That night, Faramir and Éowyn had settled to sleep on the couch and were slumbering peacefully, as was Elbeth by the stove in the kitchen.

They were awoken with a start at the sound of a woman’s scream, which appeared to be coming from the bedroom.

Grabbing a candle, they rushed in to find a highly distressed Arwen struggling with her husband who was shouting ”No! Let me be, no!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List