Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Web of Treason  by Linda Hoyland

These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

Chapter Fifteen – Borrower of the Night

I must become a borrower of the night
For a dark hour or twain.
- Macbeth. Act iii. Sc. 1 Shakespeare

Much to Faramir’s relief, the air inside the tunnel felt quite fresh. This passage was narrower and steeper than any naturally occurring phenomena he had encountered. Aedred seemed familiar with the rocky passage. Every now and then, he softly warned his companion to be careful whenever the passage narrowed, or the floor became uneven underfoot.

Faramir became steadily colder, the clinging damp seeming to penetrate his clothing. He wished he had thought to put on extra clothing. Shivering, he pulled his cloak more tightly around his body.

At regular intervals, they paused to rest and lay down their heavy bundles of supplies, not daring to exchange more than a brief word, lest any outside should hear. It was impossible to tell where they were going, save that they were winding steadily downhill.

Faramir felt grateful for Aedred’s company. He was all too aware that one slip within such a passageway could lead to it becoming his tomb. He hardly knew the Healer; though he was aware that he had helped care for him after he was beaten in prison, also that Aragorn thought highly of him.

After walking for what felt like hours, they emerged just outside the City, not far from the field and outhouses where the horses were stabled. The horses had adequate shelter, but had not been confined inside since a tragic incident where several had perished in a fire, unable to flee their stable.

Faramir paused and took a deep breath of the fresh night air. “What a convenient place to emerge!” he exclaimed.

Beside him, Aedred chuckled softly. “Those who built it obviously knew what they were doing.”

The watchman could be seen patrolling the field, a lantern in his hand. Horse thieves were a constant problem, especially during a hard winter. A good horse could fetch a sufficient price to buy adequate provisions to last several months. “I will have to creep up behind him and stun him,” Faramir whispered. ”Will you see that he is tended once I have left?” Such brutality was alien to the Steward’s nature. It seemed now that he could not afford any scruples, at least not until he had either rescued Aragorn or secured his son on the throne.

“Shame on you, Lord Faramir!” Aedred hissed. “I know of a better way.” The Rohirric Healer put his thumbs to his lips and gave a whistle, which sounded like a horse neighing. As if by magic, the horses appeared out of their shelter and rushed towards the gate. “Open the gate while the watchman is distracted!” Aedred ordered.

Silent as a cat, Faramir did as he was bidden. Fortunately, there was no moon that night, though the stars provided a faint light. Long years spent as a Ranger had taught him how to operate under cover of virtual darkness. While he swiftly and almost silently unlatched the gate, Faramir could hear the watchman shouting to the horses from the far side of the field. He could only hope Roheryn would sense he was nearby and come to him. However, was uncertain of the stallion’s reaction since he was not his master. He hastened back to where Aedred was waiting, standing well clear of the escaping horses.

“A little trick of the Horse Lords!” Aedred whispered, “My father was Master of the King’s Horses and taught me a few skills in my youth.”

“I am surprised you chose to be a Healer then,” Faramir commented.

Aedred chuckled softly, “Do not tell Éomer King, but I am afraid of horses! I fell off one and broke my collarbone when I was a young lad.  Since then I have been afraid to ride any save the gentlest and quietest of mounts.”

“I never thought to hear a native of Rohan say that!” Faramir chuckled before exclaiming in dismay, “Oh, no, I forgot about tack!”

“A good job you are with a man of the Riddermark then,” Aedred replied, his smile almost audible, “I have hidden what you need under the hedge.”

“May the Valar smile on you!”  Faramir cried thankfully. A gentle whinnying at the Steward's side made him start. He turned round and realised that Roheryn was beside him, eying him expectantly. He reached into his pocket for an apple he had thought to bring. The stallion eagerly munched the treat and permitted Faramir to bridle him and fix two bulging bags to the saddle. Meanwhile Aedred whistled again, this time on a different note. A single, heavily built horse ambled away from the others and joined them. The Healer had also brought a juicy apple.

“This is Hjordnis,” Aedred said by way of introduction, “I rode here from the Mark on her back. Nowadays, she serves mostly as a packhorse for the Houses of Healing. Take her with you. She likes company, so will not stray if you leave her with Roheryn.” He began to load the supplies on the horse as he spoke. Hjordnis snorted but otherwise made no complaint while the task was swiftly accomplished. The watchman was still shouting vainly for the horses to come back. He was now fast approaching the hedge, which concealed Faramir and his companion. “I think that is everything,” Aedred said, fastening the last bundle in place.

“Thank you so much and thank Master Tarostar too.”

Somewhat to Aedred’s surprise, Faramir grasped both his shoulders and kissed him on the brow in the traditional Gondorian gesture of parting used between friends and kin.

“Go quickly now, I can hear the watchman coming,” Aedred urged.

Faramir mounted Roheryn gingerly, wondering if he would accept any save Aragorn on his back. Apart from whinnying as if surprised, the proud stallion made no objection. With Hjordnis on a leading rein alongside, the Steward urged Roheryn forward into the night.

Apart from mistaking the trail in one place, and going a mile or so in the wrong direction, before realising his mistake from the position of the stars, Faramir’s journey to where the map showed the caves to be was uneventful. The cave entrance proved somewhat harder to find. He needed to light the lamp Aedred had given him and search the face of the hillside. It was concealed behind a large thorn bush, no doubt planted there on his father or grandfather’s orders. These caves had been a vital part of the defence against Sauron, allowing troops to remain hidden while they fought off incursions from the enemy. Inside was a small chamber, which at first sight appeared to be all there was, until the far wall was reached, when it turned sharply to the left and led to a second and much larger cave. To Faramir’s delight, it was fairly dry and well ventilated. A passageway leading deeper into the hillside branched off from the larger cave, providing a possible hiding place in case of danger.

A heap of ashes showed that it had been possible to have a fire there when the soldiers had used it as a hiding place. It seemed ideal; if Faramir either needed to conceal himself, or if it were necessary, hide Aragorn. Swiftly, Faramir unloaded the packhorse and his saddlebags. He stored the clothing and medicines well out of sight, followed by the bedding. He was delighted to find two bedrolls, and a generous supply of blankets, towels, and even a pelt, which would serve either as rug or an extra warm bedcover. Nor had Aedred forgotten to pack candles, soap, pans and dried foodstuffs, as well as a sturdy bow and a supply of arrows. The man was a real treasure!

Once the supplies were safely stored, and protected from marauding rats, Faramir left the cave and examined the surrounding area. It was mainly woodland, passable only via the little known track he had used. There was also sufficient grazing to support the horses. A small but clear stream, which ran through the woods from the hillside, would provide adequate drinking and washing water.

Faramir prepared to leave Roheryn behind, whispering to him that he must await his master. He could only hope that the stallion understood. He took the saddle and bridle from Aragorn’s war horse, and placed them on Hjordnis. After a final inspection that everything was safely concealed, Faramir swung himself into the saddle and set off to ride back to Minas Tirith ere daybreak

The first glimmers of light were appearing in the sky when the Steward reached the City despite riding as fast over the rough forest terrain as his stolid and good-natured mount was capable of. Faramir realised his plan would never have worked, had he been in his own apartments, for the cock was already crowing. By now a servant would have been bringing him his morning drink. The horses had obviously been rounded up again. There was no sign of any human presence near the field. Obviously, the watchman was resting after his eventful night.

Knowing from Aedred’s description that she was unlikely to stray, Faramir took the tack off Hjordnis and left her by the gate. It was to be hoped the watchman would merely think that he had overlooked her the previous night. Patting the mare and giving her a farewell treat of an apple, Faramir looked for the tunnel entrance but could not find it. He was starting to panic when a black robed figure grabbed his arm. He started and gave a low cry of alarm.

TBC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List