Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Last Age of Elves: A Precious Find  by fael bain

Elrohir returned early that evening, and was disappointed to see that the Elfling was still unconscious. He had rested for the better part of the day before visiting the recuperating Gwenophor in his chambers. Elladan had been there too, and while the meeting had been a far cry from the loud, raucous gatherings so common to the twins and their friends, Elladan was glad to see that Elrohir's frosty, angry demeanour was starting to thaw. He had even shown concern for Gwenophor's injuries, something which he had not been known to display in many years.

Three days had passed in this manner, with Elrohir dividing his time between Gwenophor and the Elfling. He remained reserved and aloof, though, hardly volunteering any conversation unless spoken to. Yet, there was something new in the way he was carrying himself, in the way he beheld the Elfling with a thoughtful air, that spoke of a change in the air.

This evening, Elladan watched Elrohir pace the room while Elrond examined the Elfling.

"How is he?" Elrohir blurted out, unable to contain himself any further as Elrond took longer than he would have liked.

"These are serious injuries, Elrohir, and will need time to heal."

Elrohir stiffened as he remembered his oath. What was he doing, fretting over a complete stranger in this way? Yet, there was something about the innocence of one so little that held an inexplicable draw, something akin to a calling to what he thought was his deadened heart.

"I must go," Elrohir said, striding to the door.

"What will happen if he wakes up? What happens if he has another nightmare?" Elladan said.

Elrohir's eyes dropped as he struggled with himself, even though he knew Elladan had trumped him. In spite of his efforts, Elladan still managed to read his thoughts and discern his concern for the Elfling.

"He will like to have you around if he awakes," Elrond said. "It seems your very presence is a comfort."

"Yes, I know," Elrohir all but snapped, before throwing himself into a chair, where he stared ahead, biting a nail, thinking.

"I will keep you company lest you get bored," Elladan said, seizing the opportunity that presented itself.

Elrond left the room, and Elrohir's gaze was drawn to the Elfling again. He studied the slumbering form, and Elladan noted how his usually angry and drawn brow softened.

"There were so few of us born after the war," Elrohir said after a long while.

"Our people are leaving Arda. Our age is drawing to a close."

Elrohir looked up, startling Elladan with the savage bitterness in his silver eyes.

"Perhaps it is right that we leave, then! Our immortality is only a burden here!"

"Roh, please!"

"I speak the truth!"

"Then look at him and tell me he is a burden! That he is unwelcome to this world!"

Satisfaction flashed on Elladan's face as Elrohir fell silent. Elrohir was not impervious to emotions, as much as he would like to be.

"Please, Roh. It has been long enough. You have run long enough. Come back to me."

For a moment, it seemed as if Elrohir was going to give in, when a sudden wall slammed down in front of his eyes, shutting himself off from Elladan again.

"What are you trying to achieve, muindor?"

"I have sat and watched you fall into a deepening chasm of hatred and self-loathing for long enough, Roh! Naneth would have despaired to see you like this!"

Elladan braced himself for an explosion that never came. Instead, Elrohir's defiant gaze dropped to the floor, and something that spoke of defeat crept into his posture.

"Naneth would have despaired at a lot of things, Dan."

A stirring on the bed drew their attention to the Elfling, and Elladan thought that he espied worry on Elrohir's face.

"He is waking up, and Ada should be informed," Elladan said.

"He is too young for this," Elrohir muttered under his breath, before rising to sit on the bed while Elladan left.

"Rest," Elrohir said as the Elfling opened his eyes to stare at him.

The smooth features knotted, and the Elfling spoke, "Are you one of the Valar?"

His voice was lilting and strange to Elrohir's ears, but befitting his delicate form. There was something earthy, yet sweet about it, calling to mind layers of green and meltwater in spring.

The corners of Elrohir's lips twitched. He had been called many things by admirers and detractors alike in his time, but this was a first.

"Nay, tithen pen -- Little one --."

Blue eyes flickered around the room, taking in the hues of silver and the airy windows.

"Am I in Aman?"

Elrohir's heart skipped a beat. Why was he talking about the white shores? He was still a child!

"No."

"Are we far from the sea?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I must go there."

Elrohir reached out and soothed his crinkled brow. "You will be going nowhere for now, tithen pen."

Disappointment filled the Elfling's face.

"Does it hurt?" Elrohir said.

The despondency was replaced by defiance.

"No."

Elrohir almost smiled.

"Those are serious injuries, and will take time to heal."

A frown worked its way to the Elfling's brow.

"I would that they would do so soon so I can resume my journey!"

"We have yet to be introduced to one another. I am Elrohir."

The Elfling blinked in surprise.

"You are Elrond's son! A Lord of Imladris!"

"Yes, I am."

"We are in Imladris?"

The door opened, and Elrond entered, followed by Elladan.

"Yes," Elrond said, smiling.

"It is strange to see the twin lords of Imladris in the same room at once," the Elfling said.

"It is rarer still that you show no surprise upon seeing them," Elrond said.

"I learnt of them during my history lessons."

"History?" Elladan cried, choking with indignation.

"Ai, although I believe stories of you were told by my tutor to pique my waning interest in dusty old ellon. After all, your deeds among the Men of Bree are legendary."

"As one of those dusty old ellon, I am afraid I will have to cut short your conversation and insist you get some rest," Elrond said, a gentle smile tugging at his features. "Before you do so, I need to know your name and from where you hail. Your family must be very worried to find your missing."

"But I need to go West!" the Elfling said. This must be the great High-Lord of Imladris himself, who would surely send him home if he were to find out his identity. He had heard stories of Elrond's strange powers, and it surprised him that he had not sought to look into his mind to find the truth already.

"Maybe another time, Ada," Elrohir said, seeing that the Elfling was fighting to keep himself from grimacing from pain. He reached for a goblet of hot water infused with herbs and passed it to the Elfling.

"Do not worry, you are safe in Imladris."

The Elfling's eyelids grew heavy as the herbs took their effect. His brain was hazy, but he needed to thank the Imladrin Elves.

"My name is Lass," he muttered. "That is what Nana calls me."

Elladan felt a shudder that stemmed from Elrohir as the Elfling passed into sleep.

"I do not like this," Elladan said, turning to Elrond to seek his opinion.

Elrond took some time to fix his hazel gaze on Elrohir, before he said, "His injuries are due to the elements. I do not think his life is under threat from any -- save himself."

"It makes no sense!" Elrohir cried. "Why is he hiding his identity from us? I know he trusts us, but there is something he wishes to keep from us!"

"Perhaps we should concentrate on healing his physical wounds first, and speak of the rest later," Elladan said.

"His name is Lass," Elrohir said, falling into a reverie again.

"Part of his name, at least," Elladan said.

Elrohir emitted a long sigh. "I will spend the night with him. I do not wish him to be alone should he be caught in another nightmare."

Behind Elrohir's back, Elladan and Elrond exchanged relieved smiles.

*****
Sindarin Translations:
Muindor -- brother
Tithen pen -- little one
Ellon - (male) Elves

A/N: Hello all, and I hope you've been enjoying the spring-like conditions, although if you are here in Europe you will probably have been scowling at the dark clouds which come out every few minutes to remind us that sunshine can so easily be taken away from us. Forgive me for the mad rambling, but I am currently still set to Holiday mode, and the giddiness from having spent hours on trains every day has yet to wear off. But as promised here is the chapter, and the changes in Elrohir are becoming more apparent. As always, I hope you enjoy it, and do let me know what you think!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List