Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Trapped  by Misty

Aragorn awoke to darkness with thoughts of Legolas on his mind. He could not help wishing, for a moment at least, that Legolas were here with him.

* But no, * he thought. * Legolas despises caves. If I had led him into a cave-in and gotten him trapped like this, he would never enter another cave with me. But then, he won't be doing anything with me again as it is. This dark cave will be my tomb. I am going to die here. I will never see Legolas, or anyone again; not my brothers, Ada or Arwen. Oh, Arwen. I am so sorry. *

He thought back to that evening in Lothlorien when she had pledged to join with him and renounce her immortality. He could remember each detail as clearly as if it were happening now. The love shining in her eyes, the way the moonlight seemed to caress her raven tresses, the soft touch of her hand on his face; that night would live always in his memory. A sigh escaped him at the pain that stabbed through his heart. The very thought that he and Arwen would never be wed, that he would die and leave her behind, hurt him more than all his physical injuries. He knew his death would grieve all those who loved him, but it would be the worst for Arwen. She was ready to give up her immortality to be with him. She would never recover from his death. But…if he were dead, she would be free to join her people as they sailed to the Undying Lands, and would never have to experience a mortal death. As much as he loved her, perhaps it was better this way. She would live forever, and perhaps his Ada would finally forgive him for falling in love with Arwen and trying to take her away from him.

* Now stop this, * Aragorn ordered himself. * You may be about to die, but you do not need to be quite so morose. Your family loves you. Ada would never want you to die just so that Arwen would never have to choose between you and staying with him. He loves you; you know that. Elrond has shown you many times over the years that he loves you just as much as he loves Elladan and Elrohir. You do him a great injustice by saying that he would be relieved at your death. *

Aragorn was so adamant about proving his point to himself that he forgot the pain that accompanied every small movement. He tried to gesture to underscore his point, and the pain at the attempted motion caught him unawares. Gasping, he closed his eyes, once more falling into the abyss of unconsciousness.

// Aragorn became slowly aware of his surroundings as he felt a cool cloth being laid upon his brow. Aragorn's eyes opened to see the face of his father bending over him.

"Ada?" His voice was hoarse as if from long disuse, or perhaps illness.

Elrond smiled down at him. "I am glad to see you awake, my son. You had us quite worried for a time."

"What happened?" he asked. His mind was still a little fuzzy, as if he were not fully awake yet.

"You have been quite ill for many days now," Elrond said, the smile falling from his face as he sat down in a chair near Aragorn's bed. "You were injured in a battle on Imladris' borders. In the chaos of battle, an orc archer went unnoticed by the patrol until after there was an arrow protruding from your back. The wound was a serious one, and you were brought home as quickly as possible. But even with all their haste, I feared it was too late. It took all my skill to keep you here with us. When I had done all in my power, you lay so still and pale, that I thought I had failed." Elrond's voice broke slightly, and he lowered his gaze from Aragorn's. A light touch on his hand brought his eyes back up to meet those of his son's.

"I am alive, Ada," Aragorn said softly. "You did not fail me."

"I was not so sure of that as I watched you wander for days in fevered dreams, unaware of the world around you. It was due only to your own strength and persistence that you survived. You simply would not give up. Your fever broke only last night, and I finally began to believe that you would win this battle." Elrond leaned forward and grasped Aragorn's hand. "I am all too aware of the fact that you are mortal, Estel. One day, we will part for the last time. Do not hasten that day, ion-nin, for when you die, you will take part of my heart with you. I am not ready to lose that part of myself."

Aragorn's eyes brimmed with unshed tears at the pain in his father's voice even as a wry grin crept onto his lips. "I will do my best, Ada." //

Aragorn felt a tear seep out from beneath a closed eyelid. * I'm sorry, Ada. I tried. * He lay there unmoving, unable to think, lost in the darkness for an endless time.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List