Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Four Hands Around  by French Pony

3. Among The Sons

 

 

After Nerdanel had recovered enough to accept visitors, a messenger from the palace arrived. The letter he bore announced that High King Finwë, along with Queen Indis, the Princes Nolofinwë and Arafinwë, and their families, would arrive at Laurelin's next waxing to pay a visit and meet the twins. Upon hearing this news, Fëanáro summoned his older children and put them to work tidying and cleaning the house and preparing refreshments. Nerdanel sat on a couch in the drawing room in the midst of the activity, nursing Pityafinwë while Telufinwë lay beside her awaiting his turn.

"Please, Fëanáro, be calm," she begged. "There is no need for such fuss. They are family."

Fëanáro paused in the midst of picking up toys strewn around the drawing room. "They are not just my family," he said. "The High King and Queen are arriving. One cannot receive the High King and Queen into a dirty house."

Nerdanel rolled her eyes. "The High King and Queen are parents themselves," she said. "Surely they understand that houses with newborns are apt to be less than immaculate at times."

"I will not have Indis lay eyes on my children living in squalor."

"I do not believe that Indis has anything to do with this," Nerdanel said. "I think that you do not wish for Nolofinwë to see you or your surroundings as anything less than perfect."

Fëanáro snorted and flung a little wooden duck on wheels into the box of communal toys that sat beneath the drawing-room window. "Nolofinwë would relish the opportunity to inform me of my shortcomings," he muttered. "Ever he seeks to raise his star in Father's sight."

"That is because your father makes no secret of the fact that he favors you, his firstborn, above either of your brothers," Nerdanel snapped. "If you must expend so much energy on this childish competition with Nolofinwë, then consider that you have already won and leave the rest of the family in peace."

At her breast, Pityafinwë began to fuss, and Nerdanel turned her attention to the baby, making it clear that she considered the discussion to be at an end. Fëanáro sighed loudly and allowed himself several less than kind thoughts about his wife before he resumed picking up the toys.

 

 

At the appointed time, Finwë and Indis swept grandly into Fëanáro's house to find Fëanáro and the five older boys neatly dressed and waiting to receive them. Finwë did not even wait for Fëanáro to greet him before he enveloped his son in a hearty embrace.

"Congratulations, Fëanáro," he said. "Seven children, that is an impressive accomplishment."

"The accomplishment is more Nerdanel's than mine," Fëanáro said. "It is she who gave birth to all of these fine boys."

"Indeed," Indis said, nodding politely to Fëanáro and then moving to kiss each of the boys. "You are all so handsome, and it seems that you have grown a little more each time I see you." Carnistir, forever hoping to catch up to Tyelkormo, beamed at this praise. When Indis reached Curufinwë, she knelt down to kiss him, but he twisted away from her, hiding behind Macalaurë's leg.

"You are not my grandmother," he said.

"Curufinwë!" Maitimo said sharply, but Indis merely sat back with a somewhat resigned little smile.

"Do not worry about it, Maitimo," she said. "I have been through this with each of you, and I am sure I will go through it with the new little ones. Curufinwë, I know that I am not your grandmother by blood, but I still love you. Shall we pretend that I am your grandmother? I would like that."

Curufinwë, intrigued by the prospect, peeked at Indis. She made a funny face at him and offered him a piece of candy. "You see," she said. "I have sweets, just as a grandmother ought." Curufinwë giggled, and reached for the treat. Finwë laughed out loud, and suddenly the tension in the atmosphere evaporated.

"That is indeed the role of the grandparents, to bring treats," he said. "And it happens that I have brought some treats of my own for my firstborn and his expanded family to share." He signaled to a footman, who stepped forward bearing a basket. This Finwë presented to Fëanáro. Fëanáro opened it and laughed with delight. Immediately, the children clustered about him to see what was in the basket.

"Kumquats!" Fëanáro cried. The children shouted and clapped their hands.

"I plucked them this morning from the bushes in the palace courtyard," Finwë explained, as Fëanáro popped one in his mouth. "I remembered how much you and Nerdanel enjoyed raiding those bushes when you were small. Now I will go in and see her and my two newest grandsons. Stay and greet your brothers, for they will arrive directly."

Even as Finwë spoke, the door opened again. "Greetings, Fëanáro, and congratulations!" came Anairë's cheerful voice. She strode into the room, her arms held out, Findekáno trotting at her side. Fëanáro smiled at her in spite of himself and allowed her to embrace him. Findekáno flung himself at Maitimo, chattering excitedly.

"Mother said that Aunt Nerdanel has had twins, Maitimo! Is that true? Are there really two babies? I want to see them!"

Maitimo laughed. "Yes, there really are two babies, and you will see them. But perhaps you should wait for your brother and your cousin first."

"Turukáno and Father are coming directly," Findekáno said. "But I want to see the babies now."

At that moment, Nolofinwë crossed the threshold, with Turukáno in his arms. Fëanáro straightened his spine and contrived to look as regal and lordly as possible. Nolofinwë stiffened, then set Turukáno on his feet and bowed formally.

"Congratulations, Fëanáro," he said softly. "I am overjoyed to hear of the new births in our family."

Fëanáro’s mouth twitched at that, but he kept his voice calm and even. "Thank you, Nolofinwë," he said. "It was an unexpected surprise, but a welcome one. The twins are rare and precious jewels, the final shining stars in my firmament."

Nolofinwë’s smile grew forced, but Anairë laughed. "Oh, do listen to yourself, Fëanáro," she said. "You sound as if you had personally carved them from the finest alabaster. At least give Nerdanel the first chance to boast." She glanced at Findekáno, who was wriggling and hopping on one foot with impatience. "Be patient, darling," she said. "Uncle Arafinwë and Aunt Eärwen are coming, and they are bringing our gifts for the babies. Once we have our gifts, we will go in to greet them."

Findekáno sighed, but he did not have long to wait. Arafinwë arrived with a great shout of greeting, followed by Eärwen, who held Findarato’s hand as he toddled along. Arafinwë carried a large bundle, which he handed to Macalaurë. "Those are gifts for your little brothers," he explained. "I believe that Father has already brought kumquats for you. If you are still hungry, you will find pomegranates in that bundle. But first, let me greet your father."

With that, he flung his arms around Fëanáro and clapped him on the back. "Congratulations, Fëanáro!" he cried. "Two at once, now that is something to marvel at. You must tell me how you managed that feat. . . and how Nerdanel managed it as well. Such a slender, graceful thing she is, I do not know how two babies could possibly fit inside her at the same time."

Fëanáro was smiling broadly in spite of himself, and Nolofinwë looked more relaxed. Arafinwë turned and draped one arm over Nolofinwë so that he could embrace both of his brothers at once. "This is a joyous occasion indeed," he said. "It is too seldom that we are together, all three of us and our families."

Findekáno was almost bursting with excitement. "Mother," he whined. "Uncle Arafinwë and the presents are here now. Can we please, please go in and meet the babies?"

"Of course," Fëanáro said, politely disengaging himself from Arafinwë’s arm. "Father and Lady Indis have surely had long enough to cuddle the twins by themselves. Come in, all of you." He relieved Macalaurë of Arafinwë’s bundle and ushered the family into the parlor.

 

 

Nerdanel reclined in a pile of cushions on a long couch, one baby nestled in each arm. Findekáno raced forward and slithered past Finwë’s robes to get a good look at his newest cousins. "They are so beautiful!" he crowed. "They are almost as beautiful as Turukáno."

"Almost?" Tyelkormo sniffed.

"They are very little," Findekáno explained cheerfully. "Turukáno was bigger than that."

"But there are two of them, so that is all right," Tyelkormo said. "It is a good thing that they were so little, or else they would not have both fit inside Mother."

"They will grow to be perfectly normal boys," Nerdanel said. "With the amount that they eat, you will soon marvel that they ever could have been as small as they are now."

"In that case, we should give them our gifts now," Eärwen said. "Who has the bundle?"

Fëanáro brought it forward. He sat down on the end of Nerdanel's couch with the bundle perched on his knees and began to unwrap it. Several pomegranates were the first to fall out. The children squealed and began to chase the fruits.

"Maitimo, go to the kitchen and fetch a knife and some bowls," Nerdanel said. "We will have those with our tea." Maitimo nodded, but did not move.

Fëanáro dug deeper into the bundle and pulled out a quilt and two little pairs of warm knit booties, one pair yellow and one pair green.

"Anairë and I had been working on the quilt for some time," Eärwen explained. "And then Anairë came rushing over to see me and said that you had not only given birth well before you were due, but that you had had twins as well."

"And I said that we had to make something else, so that each baby would have something," Anairë chimed in. "Booties were the quickest thing we could think of, and I thought that the babies should have something new of their own, since I am sure they will be wearing many clothes inherited from their brothers."

Nerdanel beamed. "Thank you both, ever so much. They share a cradle, so the quilt will benefit both of them. And the booties are marvelous. Since they are different colors, each twin can wear his own color."

"But that would be boring," Findekáno said. He took one yellow and one green bootie and placed them carefully on Telufinwë's feet. Tyelkormo laughed and put the other mismatched pair on Pityafinwë.

"Findekáno!" Anairë scolded. "What are you doing with your cousins?"

Finwë laughed. "I think it is clever. They both have matching pairs now."

"But will you be able to tell them apart?" Indis asked.

Nerdanel smiled. "Fëanáro has taken care of that problem already," she said. She pulled back the blanket and lifted up Pityafinwë's arm to reveal a little bracelet of tiny silver rings and blue beads, cunningly crafted so that it could be clasped anywhere along its length to accommodate a growing child. "Telufinwë has a matching bracelet with red beads," Nerdanel explained. "Fëanáro made them just after the twins were born, and I find them quite useful in determining who is who."

"Did he make anything for you?" Eärwen asked.

"Oh, yes." Nerdanel shifted Telufinwë to free one hand, then held up the enameled pendant that hung from a chain around her throat. Eärwen and Anairë both gave approving little sighs as they leaned in to inspect it.

Fëanáro stood up and placed the quilt on the couch at Nerdanel's feet. "I believe it is time for tea," he said. "Maitimo, your mother told you to fetch a fruit knife and bowls. If my Lord Father and his sons will excuse me, I will prepare tea and refreshments." He inclined his head graciously, then prodded Maitimo towards the kitchen.

"Do sit down," Nerdanel said to the rest of the family. "There are plenty of seats; do not be shy. I apologize that I am unable to assist you at the moment --"

"Oh, never you mind about that, Nerdanel," Indis said. "We are all family here, and you have just given birth." She and Finwë pulled chairs and couches into a wide conversation circle, while Arafinwë and Nolofinwë dragged a tea table to the center of the circle.

"Tyelkormo," Nerdanel said, "run upstairs to the drawing room and bring down some toys so that you and Findekáno and Carnistir may play quietly while we have our tea. Macalaurë, would you mind the smaller children? They may stay here in the parlor, but do not allow them out of your sight and do not allow them to make a terrific mess."

"Yes, Mother." Macalaurë opened a chest and pulled out a blanket, which he spread on the floor. Tyelkormo returned with a basket of toys and Fëanáro and Maitimo came in from the kitchen bearing trays of tea, small cakes, and fruit. Macalaurë placed Curufinwë, Turukáno, and Findarato on the blanket. "I will keep the older babies amused," he said. "I can play singing games with them. Perhaps I will sing 'Whoop Whoop Whoop' for them."

"No!" all of the adults chorused.

"Teach them a hand-clapping game," Anairë suggested. "Turukáno is very fond of those at the moment.

"Yes, Aunt Anairë." Macalaurë began to chant softly and clap Turukáno's hands together while Curufinwë and Findarato watched with interest. Tyelkormo, Findekáno, and Carnistir were absorbed in the palace they were building from wooden blocks in the corner. Maitimo poured tea for the adults and was then allowed to sit and take refreshments with them. The women exclaimed over the babies and listened as Nerdanel recounted the story of their birth. Fëanáro, his father, and his brothers shifted in their seats. Finally, Arafinwë broke the tension.

"After all the labor of bringing them into the world, Nerdanel, these children are precious indeed. May I hold one of them? My father and mother have had plenty of time to hold their grandchildren, and they must meet their Uncle Arafinwë now."

"Of course," Nerdanel laughed. "Come and take Pityafinwë. I cannot hand him to you, for both of my hands are occupied."

Arafinwë leaned over and scooped Pityafinwë into his arms. He nestled the infant in the hollow of his shoulder and sat back with a sigh of contentment. "This is the best part of being an uncle," he announced. "I have the great pleasure of holding my brother Fëanáro's beautiful child, breathing in his wonderful newborn scent and looking at these tiny, perfect little fingers. And when he cries or wets, I will simply return him to his mother."

Even Fëanáro had to laugh at that. The conversation resumed and blended with the babble of the children playing in their various corners. Nolofinwë alone was silent, gazing at Telufinwë with a mixture of loneliness and longing. Nerdanel noticed his attention and smiled at him.

"I do believe that I would like to have my arms to myself again," she said. "Would you like to hold this one, Nolofinwë?"

A slow, shy smile lit Nolofinwë's face. "I would," he said.

Nerdanel gently placed Telufinwë in his uncle's arms. Fëanáro's eyes narrowed at the sight of his half-brother holding his last-born child. Nolofinwë gazed at the baby, entranced, as though he had laid eyes on a fruit of Laurelin itself. Seeing this adoration, Fëanáro's expression softened just a little. All was as it should be, he decided.

"When do you plan on holding the naming ceremony?" Finwë asked.

Fëanáro traded glances with Nerdanel. "I had thought to wait for a while, until Nerdanel is stronger and the twins have grown a little larger," Fëanáro said. "They are still so small that they make me nervous."

"I can understand that," Finwë said. "You will need an extra baby gown. I know that you have one that all your other children have used. I believe that I still have your old naming gown stored in a box somewhere. Would you like to have that as well?"

"I would appreciate that greatly, Father."

"Let me know when you intend to hold the ceremony," Indis said. "We will host it at the palace."

"I had thought to hold it here," Fëanáro countered. "It is private, and there need not be a large fuss. Macalaurë, Tyelkormo, Carnistir, and Curufinwë all had their naming ceremonies here."

"These last two are different, Fëanáro," Finwë said. "Eru has blessed you, alone of all people, with twins, and that is a significant thing. They must be named at the palace, where all the people may witness them."

"I will not have my sons put on public display as if they were common curiosities! Bad enough that Maitimo was displayed to the crowd. Must these two also suffer the same indignity?"

"They will not mind," Maitimo offered. "I have not suffered for having been named at the palace."

"They may not mind," Fëanáro said, "but I will. I will not have strangers gawking at my children again."

"We can discuss this later," Nerdanel said firmly. "We will not be holding the ceremony for some time yet. Let us not turn this pleasant gathering into an argument."

"I agree," Anairë said. "Have you settled on their names? Are Pityafinwë and Telufinwë permanent?"

Nerdanel nodded. "Fëanáro has never changed his mind about his names for the children yet. They have already become Pityo and Telvo to us, and I cannot imagine them bearing different names."

"And what of your names for the twins?"

Nerdanel pressed her lips together and glanced down at her lap. Fëanáro raised an eyebrow at her. After a moment, she looked up, and her lips quirked into a half-smile. "Ambarussa," she said.

There was a polite silence. "Ambarussa is lovely," Indis said. "What is the other one's name?"

"There is no other name," Nerdanel replied. "They are both Ambarussa. Pityafinwë Ambarussa and Telufinwë Ambarussa. I have thought long and hard, but I cannot create another name. Ambarussa fits them both, one no less than the other. They will share the name, as they will share so much in their lives."

"I suppose that it would work," Eärwen said slowly. "It is not as though they share a father-name as well. They have a name to share, even as they shared their mother's womb, and they have their own names as well, to indicate that they are separate. It is unusual, but then everything about them is unusual."

"They are unique and should be acknowledged as such," Finwë declared. "If their mother, Nerdanel the Wise, deems it proper that they should share a name, then there is surely a reason behind that. They are fine little boys, Fëanáro. Ever your accomplishments fill me with great pride."

Fëanáro sat back in his chair, surveying his family gathered together, his children dominating the room with their sheer numbers, the youngest receiving the full adoration of their uncles, and he smiled at his father's compliment.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List