Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Forging of the Ringbearer: Part 1: A New Life  by Frodo Baggins

A/N: Sorry for any confusion, but I changed Milo's name to Griffo (which is his correct name). My error was pointed out to me by the great Queen Galadriel; she told me that he really had a name in the book. I decided to look it up to make sure I had the correct name, and sure enough I didn't! My apologies!Chapter three

Five months later

S.R. 10 August 1398

"Daisy! Take yer brother Sam and go to the market fer me, will you? Mrs. Twofoot just had a baby, and I’m makin’ her dinner and dessert. I need some beef, flour, blueberries, milk, and sugar."

"Yes, mum."

"Thank ye, lass."

Daisy hurried to find her brother. Her guess was correct; he was in their small garden, ‘planting’ who knows what. And getting all dirty, to his elder sister’s annoyance. He sulked when she told him to come in and wash up.

Finally, after much fussing and coaxing, the two were on their way to Hobbiton to buy the required items. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, birds were singing in the breeze. Sam stopped along the way to inspect a new kind of flower. He picked it and put in the basket to take home and show his Da. His Dad would know what kind of flower it was. His dad knew everything.

Hobbiton was no busier than usual. There were some hobbits bustling, some of them were shopping, and some were just milling about. Daisy stopped at the butchers, much to her and Sam’s dislike. The produce stand was next, and when the blueberries were purchased, she and Sam each treated themselves to two of the juicy berries. When all the necessary items were finally purchased, Daisy made her way home. But then Sam darted from his sister’s side. She looked to see what caused such behaviour in her brother. She gasped at what she saw. Sammy had run up to Mr. Frodo and was giving him a big bear hug! She walked over.

"Mr. Frodo! I’m so sorry. Sam is being rude." Daisy said, while pulling her brother away from his future employer.

"Quite alright...Daisy, isn’t it?"

Against her will, she blushed. "Yes, sir."

"Just Frodo, will do." Frodo’s smile was genuine.

"Yes, Mr. Frodo." She said politely.

Sam tugged on his sleeve. "Mister Frodo, guess what?"

Frodo went down on one knee so that he was eye level with Sam. "What?" he asked with enthusiasm. Daisy couldn’t help but smile. He was a natural. He would make a good father one day. Sam proceeded to tell Frodo that Mrs. Twofoot had a baby. It was a girl, which he wasn’t pleased about. Yet another girl in the neighborhood. She wasn’t even cute. She was all red and tiny and she cried a lot. Frodo chuckled and told Sam that he had thought the same thing when his cousin was born. But the baby would definitely get cuter as she got older. Sam might even marry her one day.

Sam made a face at this last statement. "No, sir! I won’t marry any girl! I don’t like ‘em one bit! ‘Specially not Rosie Cotton."

"Well, well, well. If it isn’t that half Brandybuck brat and his little pet." A voice sneered behind the group. "I always knew he was of lowly stock. Going for his gardener’s daughter!"

Frodo slowly stood. Daisy could see fury beneath his thin mask of calm. "Lotho." He said between clenched teeth. His voice was flat.

"Ah, yes. I’m ashamed to be even distantly related to you. Unfortunately, we’re pretty closely related. What are you doing in the dirt talking to one of your servants?"

"Being a polite gentlehobbit, and a friend."

Lotho laughed cruelly. "A friend? A friend? To the likes of them? Frodo...you must be joking!"

Frodo ignored his remark and gently nudged Daisy and Sam in front of him. "Come, Daisy. Sam. Don’t pay any mind to him. He’s an ignorant fool, and knows not of what he speaks."

Without warning, a fist flew threw the air and caught Frodo on the jaw. Slowly, Frodo turned to face Lotho. "I don’t want to fight you, Lotho." Frodo said evenly.

"I know. You never want to fight. You’re a lass. All you ever do is sit around all day being spoiled and listening to your crazy unlce tell stories that he made up!"

"I am not a lass! But you are a fool." Frodo would not even attempt to argue the validity of his uncle’s stories, or his state of mind. Lotho’s mind couldn’t be changed about that.

Lotho was quicker than Frodo expected. He hit Frodo in the stomach, causing the younger lad to double over. Another blow sent Frodo to the ground. Frodo got back up again, panting, and this time, fists up.

"I’ll teach you, you cocky Buckland upstart!" Another flurry of fists, and Frodo was on the ground with a bleeding nose and a black eye. But he was up again. With a satisfaction that he hid from his oponent, Frodo noted the shocked look in Lotho’s eyes. He was not expecting Frodo to be so resilient. This time the blow to Frodo’s head was dodged and countered with a sound knock to Lotho’s face. Sam cheered. Frodo dodged two more blows and returned them with equal force. And then, furious, Lotho hit Frodo so hard it sent Frodo flying to the ground. Lotho knelt on the lad, preventing escape, and laid into the helpless lad. Finally, when he thought Frodo had learned his lesson, he stopped and stood. Seeing that Frodo didn’t move, he gave one last kick, and then turned to leave.

Frodo lay there for a few moments. But his aching muscles hardened in resolve. He sprang up and, from behind, hit Lotho. Lotho spun around to see two hard, blue eyes glinting from a bloody, bruised face. Lotho took Frodo by the front of his shirt and lifted him.

"Don’t you ever make a fool of me again. You hear me, you son of a pig?"

"LOTHO SACKVILL-BAGGINS!!" A male voice bellowed behind him. Lotho stiffened and dropped Frodo. He was caught! He tried to run but a brawny hand grabbed his shoulder and halted the guilty retreat.

Lotho was spun around to meet the dark eyes of Master Griffo Boffin. "You leave that lad alone, DO YOU HEAR ME?! I am sick and tired of your bullying and abusing! This is NOT the way gentlehobbits are to act. Now get lost before I beat you myself!"

Terrified, Lotho ran for his life. Mr. Boffin bent to help Frodo to his feet. "Now, there, lad," The hobbit’s voice was gentle now, "Who are you?" He held out his handkerchief. Frodo took it and held it to his nose.

"Thank you, sir. I am Frodo Baggins, at your service and your family’s."

"Ah, Bilbo’s new heir. That’s right. I’m glad to finally meet the famed Frodo Baggins." He smiled and winked. "When your Uncle’s not talking about his adventure, he’s talking about you. I am Milo Boffin. I live fairly close to Bag End, actually. And who are these...?" He gestured towards Daisy and Sam, who were standing very close together and staring wide eyed at the whole scene.

"My friends, Daisy and Sam. They are my uncle’s gardeners, Mr. Gamgee’s, children."

Mr. Boffin stood and shook the hands of both the children and made a proper introduction of himself. He apologized for the rough manner in which he handled that...that...lad, Lotho Sackville-Baggins, but he had to stop that bully. His son had been targeted a few times before.

"I don’t mean to be rude, sir, but me and me brother here must be gettin’ back home. Our mum’s probably worried, we’ve been out so long. Thank ye, sir, for yer kindness. Come, Sammy. Goodbye, Mr. Frodo." Daisy said. She felt rather awkward. What could she say after such a fight? To comment would probably not be polite.

"Wait, now, Miss Daisy. Your home was well as Frodo’s is on my way home. I was just headed that way, so I’d be pleased if you’d walk with me."

Surely this wasn’t proper, but...Lotho would be seeking revenge, and Mr. Boffin did offer, so it would be even more improper to turn him down. "Thank you, sir." she said.

The foursome walked home. Griffo’s easy nature made the awkwardness melt a little.

"Frodo, I must say, that was some fight you gave! And to think you can even walk after what he did to you. You’re made of a tougher stuff than you would have us believe."

"Thank you, sir."

"I have a son your age. Have you met him?"

"N-no sir, I don’t believe I have. I...haven’t been out a lot."

"Don’t be so ashamed. It’s perfectly understandable. Why, you’ve moved half way across the Shire, and you don’t know where all the lads meet. No matter. I’ll send my son, Folco, over one of these days. He can show you around this area and introduce you to some of the lads."

Frodo smiled appreciatively at this kindly hobbit. Soon they arrived at Number Three, Bagshot Row, and Daisy and Sam were given a warm farewell.

At Bag End’s round, green door, Mr. Boffin explained that he had been meaning to visit Bilbo anyway. The door opened and Bilbo’s warm greeting died on his lips as he spotted Frodo, barely able to stand.

"Frodo-lad!" he exclaimed, and helped his nephew inside. He helped Frodo to his bed and laid him down.

"I’m fine, uncle Bilbo. Really." But it was hard to breath and speaking was painful.

"Griffo," Bilbo said, "I’m terribly sorry to be so rude, but, would it bother you terribly to go down to Number Three, Bagshot Row and tell one of the Gamgee children a healer is needed for Mr. Frodo?"

"Of course not, Bilbo." And with a nod to Frodo, he left.

"Who did this?" Bilbo asked, noting the distinct fist marks. Frodo made no answer. "Frodo Baggins. Tell me who did this."

"Lotho." the lad whispered. Bilbo’s jaw set in anger. How could anyone do this to his Frodo? That Lotho....he would have a word with Lobelia. Then, something occurred to Bilbo. Frodo had not protested the fetching of a healer! His lad was hurt seriously, than. Bilbo looked at his nephew, who was sweating and trying very hard not to cry.

"It’ll be alright. I promise, it will be alright." That healer had better get to Bag End on the double, or Bilbo would go mad with worry!

*~*~*~*~*~*

TBC....

________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry, but could anybody tell me the difference between "then" and "than" and their uses? Thanks!

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List