Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Forging of the Ringbearer: Part 1: A New Life  by Frodo Baggins

The young mother sighed in relief. The labour had gone well, and now she was holding her first son. She smiled fondly at him. The wee lad squirmed and started to whimper. Primula held him close and soothed him. Her husband walked in. Primula smiled at him. He was grinning ear to ear, his clothes and curls were all in a state and he looked like he had been a nervous wreck.

"Come see your new son, Drogo." Primula said. Drogo came over and clasped her hand in his. He looked down at his son. His son! How he smiled at the word!

"How are *you*, dearest?" He asked suddenly.

"I'm fine. Would you like to hold him? I am rather tired and would like a rest." Drogo got the look of  a lad at Yule. But as he picked up his son, he was as gentle as a lamb.

"What do you think of Frodo, Prim?" Drogo beamed down at his wife.

"Sounds wonderful, dear. Now you take Frodo-lad out and let me have some rest." Just as Drogo turned to leave, Primula called out once more.

"Drogo..."

"Yes?"

"We're parents!"

*~*~*~*~*~*

Drogo stood in front of the fireplace in the small parlor in their smial. The baby seemed to enjoy being held by his father. Drogo looked at his son in amazement. The black hair on his head, and the dark fuzz on the soft, pink feet, this tiny creature was his son. And he would grow into a fine lad, Drogo was sure. He wondered what kind of a lad he would be? Would he be rowdy, or calm? Would he have that Tookish advernturous streak? Curious, or cautious? Or both? He would just have to wait and see. Drogo could have laughed for joy, but his son as well as his wife needed rest.

"Frodo Baggins, you are a beautiful baby. I wonder what you will grow up to do. Something special, I'm sure." Almost in response to his father talking to him, the baby opened up wide, blue eyes and made a contented sigh. Frodo smiled at his Da before falling back asleep. A September wind rattled the windows, but father and son were tucked safely away in the cozy smial that they called home.

 "Yes, my son, you are destined to greatness."

TBC.....

Copyright text 2006 Frodo Baggins





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List