Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Snippets 'n' Scenes  by Endaewen

Title: Eclipse
Disclaimer: All characters and settings belong to the Tolkien Family.
Rating: G
Author: Endaewen
Notes: For the Eclipse prompt of the Weekly Writing Prompts at the Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum:

As the eclipse progressed, the shadows deepened, making it look like the twilit hours in Pippin's appartment in the Great Smials. The elderly Thain went around the room lighting extra candles after he closed the shutters on the window. Before he closed the window, he stood there for a moment or two lost in thought. He shuddered before pulling himself out of his thoughts. A couple of his nephews in their teens and tweens were visiting their uncle.

"Why do you hide away from eclipses this way? They're nothing to harm you?" the younger of the two visiting hobbits asked. There was a faint note of superiority in his voice.

"It's not the eclipse, it's the memories it brings," the older hobbit said. "You've heard my tales of my journey with Frodo, and of the Dawnless Day, as they call it in Gondor now. Staring into the mid-day gloom, I almost expect to hear the terrifying cries of the Ring-wraiths, and the sounds of battle." As the deepest part of the eclipse passed by, the former soldier of Minas Tirith told the two youngsters about his experiences during the siege of Minas Tirith. Somehow the gloom of the eclipse made it all the more real to the two listeners.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List