Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Treasures and Mementos  by MarigoldG

A/N: This story popped into my head as a logical last segment to Merry Yules, but I wanted that story to end on a happy note, and this one not to have to conform to the 200 word limit I followed for each Yule in that story, so I decided to write this sequel.

I have my version of the manner of Merry and Pippin's deaths firmly in mind - it's a rather cheerful one - and intend to write it soon. This story is also a sequel for that future story. S.R. 1491 is listed as the year of Merry and Pippin's deaths in the Encyclopedia of Arda, and Tolkien himself, in an obscure note, told us that they died within a day of each other, a fact that I find to be very comforting.

********************

Treasures and Mementos by Marigold

Beta by Llinos


2nd of Afteryule, S.R. 1492 (Merry was 109 and Pippin was 101)


High King Elessar sighed heavily as he took the brightly coloured waistcoat from the back of the armchair closest to the hearth. It had been casually tossed there by its owner, destined never to be worn again. For such is the way of life, or rather death. Things that seem trivial and commonplace take on greater significance to those left behind.

He hung the waistcoat in its proper place; no need to add clothing to the crate going to the Shire. Both had left clear Wills, in proper hobbit fashion, directing where certain belongings should go. Everything else he would leave here in their apartments, at least for now, for Elessar could not bear the thought of these rooms looking any more changed than they already did without their proper residents. He would miss them keenly; their smiles and jests, their joy and laughter, and their wise counsel.

It had been the morning of what in the Shire would be 2nd Yule when Legolas found them. The night before they had spent as they spent every Yule, in feasting, song, and revelry, so far as age permitted. They had shared a dance or three, as was their habit, and Pippin had made his traditional toast. “To my cousin Meriadoc, who has danced with me every Yule, save my first. Merry Yule Merry-mine!”

Merry had raised his own glass and answered, as he did every year, “And each Yule better than the last! Merry Yule Pippin!” Then he had turned to the King. “You will have to promise us, Aragorn, to keep up celebrating Yule when we are gone, for it is by far the best festival of the year!” And the King had promised. Had it been a premonition? But no, for Pippin had gone first, and Merry had followed.

Though Merry was the elder, the King was not surprised. Anyone who knew Merry, with his Brandybuck tenacity and the love he bore for his most precious cousin and friend, would have known that Merry would look after Pippin so long as Pippin was there to look after. Merry had stayed behind just long enough to take care of his beloved lad one last time.

He had called no one, but had himself washed Pippin, as was the custom in the Shire, and combed his hair, both head and foot. He had not had the strength to dress Pippin in his livery but he had laid it ready, and placed his own beside it. Then he had sat down beside Pippin and taken his hand, to wait. As if knowing he would follow.

And perhaps he did know. One hundred Yuletides spent in each other’s company. One hundred and one years spent with lives and hearts entwined, closer than brothers. It was impossible to think of one without the other. Elessar could well believe it was impossible for one to live without the other.

Only a few things left to pack. And there were three small but precious gifts left on the dressing table, clearly having been set there by Merry before he went to his last rest. One for Gimli, one for Legolas, and one labelled Strider. The last of the Fellowship that remained in Middle-earth. The hobbits had obviously prepared the gifts some time ago, as there were cheerful notes from them both included with each memento.

For Gimli, Meriadoc’s treasured pocket watch once owned by old Bilbo, and gifted to Merry when Bilbo left the Shire. So that Gimli would “…always know when it is teatime, even in those Glittering (but rather dark) Caves of his!”

There was a book for Legolas, bearing the very long and hobbity title, In The Footsteps of Bilbo Baggins, or Under The Leaves of Greenwood The Great, in large gilt letters on the cover, and in smaller letters underneath, Being The Further Adventures of Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took, Written and Illustrated by the Same. It was exactly what the title said it was, as were most books written by hobbits, and along with Merry and Pippin, Legolas was a featured character. The book was a popular and entertaining one, and had been copied many times, but this was the original, written in Merry’s own straightforward hand, and illustrated with Pippin’s droll and clever drawings.

And for Elessar himself, there was a locket. Inside, on one half, was a miniature of Merry, on the other, Pippin, and it held a tiny braid of their hair, copper and gold intertwined, the ends carefully tied with bits of blue wool. There had been two of these lockets made, one for Merry’s mother and one for Pippin’s. The two young hobbits had arranged for Fredegar Bolger to present them on the Yule that they were away on the Quest, what might have been a last gift for their mothers to remember them by. This one had belonged to Eglantine Took and Pippin had treasured it.

Elessar left these where they were for now. When Gimli arrived, the three of them would come here and raise a glass to their departed friends. And perhaps Gimli could be of some comfort to Legolas, for the elf was inconsolable. As grieved as Elessar was, he knew that he would one day be reunited with those he loved who had gone before him to those white and distant shores. Legolas had no such solace to ease his grief.

Just one last item now. It too was on the dressing table, the lid closed, and ready to pack. Elessar did not doubt that Merry had made use of it when he had tended Pippin, then carefully replaced the items and closed it; it was among the younger hobbit’s most loved possessions, and Pippin had asked in his Will that it be sent to his Faramir.

The King ran his hand one last time over the familiar leather case that held Pippin’s cherished ivory and silver grooming set, then placed it in the crate and reached for the lid.

*The End*

********************

Those of you that would like to read from Merry's book about his and Pippin's further adventures after the Quest can find some of them here on Stories of Arda,under the title Under the Trees of Greenwood the Great.

Lbilover recently wrote a wonderful fic in which Merry and Pippin also passed away on the night of First Yule. That tale is a Merry/Pippin slash story called Like Falling Asleep Again and I heartily recommend it if you haven't read it. In my own tale it was necessary for me to use Yule to maintain the theme of the Challenge, and that was my sole reasoning for that date.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List