Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

First Age of the Sun: Triumph  by Inglor

After waking many nights with the sickening of horror still seeping from his chest, Finrod awoke with the nightmare ending differently. After the walk across the battlefield strewn with the slain, after seeing the hill of ten thousand dead elves, whose sightless eyes stared at him accusing, imploring, the nightmare changed. He was pulled to a dark forest meadow. He heard the song of the nightingale echoing through the trees, saw a flash of raven hair and he no longer felt the weight of doom.

Far away, she too awoke with a hazy memory, a pair of smiling eyes in the darkness. Shining faintly at her, like a fox’s eyes in the moonlight, warming her with their light.


~*~


Menegroth, First Age, year 50


Finrod was again impressed with his supposedly unenlightened kin. The rooms he and his sister were given were large with tall ceilings, and appointed with dignitaries in mind. Soft carpets covered the polished dark stone floor. There were small sculptures, which particularly fascinated Finrod, of wood and stone, a forest cat leaping from a rock, an owl, so life like, it looked ready to take flight. The walls, etched in leaf patterns, were adorned with paintings of woodland glades and streams. Even the furniture, rivaling anything in Valinor, was steeped in an ancient culture born of the forest. On this journey to meet his long sundered kin, he was overjoyed at what he had found.

“I am quite curious to meet our host,” he called out from the parlor as Artanis chose a subtly hued but intricately embroidered gown in her private bedroom.

Her lady in waiting, Linde, helped her into her chosen dress, lacing the ribbon down her back. Artanis said, her tone serious though she gave Linde a conspiratorial look, “Thingol, or his daughter?”

Finrod appeared at the door, leaning against the frame nonchalantly. “Why, the former, of course.” He said with an arched eyebrow.

Artanis turned her head from the mirror, looking directly at Finrod. With a touch of mischief she said, “Oh, Findarato, you heard Angarato’s description, ‘Like no maiden in Valinor’, surely that at least has your interest.”

“I do not deny that I am also curious to see his daughter, his wife too. But that does not mean I have designs on the Queen.”

“So you do have designs on the Daughter? “ Artanis said playfully.

“No, sister, I do not, who could replace my sister as the nis in my life, and besides, who could be formidable enough to meet your approval and your inspection.” Finrod said matching her tone.

“A Princess of Doriath” Artanis said flatly.

Finrod waved off the suggestion. “Artanis, please, we are here to meet our grandfather’s brother and the King of Doriath, I do not think it would be prudent to court his daughter, things are still cool between he and the Noldor.”

“You make excuses brother.”

Linde froze. She was of a very small circle that knew of Finrod’s failed love. She held her breath as Finrod stared menacingly at his sister.

“You go too far, sister,” He said icily. He turned and left the chamber.

Artanis could feel her confidant’s questions. Artanis smoothed out her gown. As she inspected herself in the mirror, she said with authority, “He pines overlong.”

Recognizing her charge’s mood, Linde neutrally said, “Yes, my lady.”

Artanis’ posture softened, “I know the hurt is still raw, Linde, but my cause was to open his mind. A sharp knife cuts the cleanest.”

Linde helped Artanis don an emerald necklace and said,” And often cuts too deep.”

Artanis surveyed herself in the mirror, smoothing out imaginary wrinkles. “We shall see.”


~*~


“What do we know of Artanis and Finrod?” Luthien asked her mother.

Melian rose and dismissed the servant tending her daughter’s hair. She stood behind Luthien and sorted the hair into strands to be braided. She paused a moment as she drew her hands through the long silky hair. “He is the eldest and she the youngest of the children of Earwen, your father’s neice.”

“That, I already knew mother, what do you know?”

“He is a wanderer, reveling in discovery. He has a kind heart, though like all the Noldor we have met, he has a shadow upon it. There is a well hidden guilt that, I fear bodes ill. But he is quick to laugh and seeks to have peace in his family. Unlike his younger brother who visited us earlier, he is not rash, though he may follow his impulses.”

“Mother, have you been in his mind? Do you think that is wise…”

Before Luthien could continue, Melian cut her off. “Peace daughter. No, I was not so rude, Celeborn escorted them from the borders. These are his impressions and your cousin is rarely wrong in his assessments.”

Luthien accepted the explanation and continued. “And what of the little sister?”

“I would not name her that in her presence,” Melian said with a rueful chuckle.

“She is more closed than her elder brother. If my information is correct, she is the youngest of two ellyth in a family of three brothers and ten male first cousins. She desires recognition and seeks to excel in all endeavors. She is formidable and driven. But she has what seems to be a family trait of wanderlust and openmindedness.”

“Celeborn again?”

“Yes, and I might add that she has piqued his interest.”


~*~


At the appointed time, Celeborn knocked on the sibling’s door. Finrod opened it, and welcomed in the chief advisor. Celeborn saw the trace of anger quickly evaporate from Finrod’s face. He wondered at the cause, but was content to file away the expression.

Celeborn noticed that Finrod was dressed in subdued hues of blue and gray. He still held himself like the proud Noldor prince that he was, but the outward appearance hinted that he was trying to adapt to Sindar sensibilities. He appeared quite a mix of cultures, Vanyar hair, Noldor posture, and Sindar clothing. During the ride in from the borders of Doriath, Celeborn discovered that Finrod was devoid of Angrod’s innocent arrogance and though he was a Calaquendi, he seemed to think that not all the Morquendi beneath him. Finrod’s childlike fascination with Menegroth was endearing and telling. He was not afraid to admit that not all beauty was in born in Valinor. Celeborn was beginning to like this Noldo.

Upon recognizing Celeborn, Finrod gave a genuine smile and said, “My Lord Celeborn, again, you grace us with your presence. Please enter, my sister has almost completed her preparations. May I offer you some refreshment, we seem to have an abundance.”

Celeborn nodded a bow but declined, “Thank you, Lord Finrod, I am content. I trust everything is to your satisfaction?”

“Please, Lord Celeborn, were are kin, call me Finrod. And yes, the accommodations are satisfactory, beyond in fact. I am particularly impressed with the plumbing. Tell me, is it common here in the city, or just in rooms of higher status?”

At that moment, Artanis made her entrance. She strode into the parlor saying, “Forgive my brother Lord Celeborn, his curiosity gets the advantage of his propriety sometimes, I had to tear him away from the clever valves in the lavatory before he damaged them.” She offered her hand and said, “Thank you for guiding us, My Lord, it has been a pleasant experience.”

Mildly defensive, Finrod interjected, “I was only seeking to discover the mechanism, I would employ its design. They remain unaltered.”

Taking the offered hand and gently kissing it, Celeborn inwardly smiled. Finrod was definitely intriguing. But the sister, she was radiant though she too was dressed in grays and blues. She was beautiful, more so now that she had washed the travel from her. She had been attired sensibly on the journey to Menegroth, now she revealed her quality. Her tresses flowed like a waterfall of gold mingled silver, delicate braids framed her striking face and sharp blue eyes. Her dress, cut to accentuate but still conservative, was obviously designed to subtly distract from her face. Clever.

Celeborn looked up from her hand and noted that she was watching him with unusual intensity.

In his most diplomatic voice, Celeborn said, “My Lady, no need to apologize, so long as nothing was damaged.” After a moment of seriousness, he grinned and said to both, “And please, call me Celeborn.”

Artanis returned with a knowing grin of her own and said, “Thank you Celeborn, and Artanis will suffice.”

Still smiling, Celeborn turned towards the door and motioned. “Please, His Majesty awaits.”


~*~


Artanis put her hand comfortably on her brother’s arm. Celeborn led them through the halls, describing small details such as ventilation and light. She occasionally squeezed Finrod’s arm to silence his constant questions, even though Celeborn showed genuine interest in answering his inquiries.

They arrived at a huge pair of arched ancient wooden doors that were at least three times the height of an elf and just as wide. The bindings were of beech leaf shaped blued steel. Finrod was further amazed to see that they were inlayed, showing no fasteners. He would have to ask later what species of wood was used.

Celeborn halted a few paces, turned and looked at Finrod and Artanis, silently asking if they were prepared. Artanis let her hand fall and they both nodded, indicating they were ready. Knowing the intimidating nature of his lord and lady, Celeborn gave a reassuring smile and turned to motion to one of the guards. The guard, in bright ceremonial armor, nodded and effortlessly moved the gigantic bolt. With a slight push, both doors soundlessly opened. Celeborn settled himself and purposefully entered. A few paces in, he halted and bowed low.

In a loud clear voice he proclaimed, “Your Majesties, Elu Thingol, King of Doriath and Melian of Valinor, Your Highness Luthien, Peoples of Doriath, may I present His Highness Findarato Finrod Finarfinion and Her Highness Artanis Nerwen Finarfiniel.” With a flourish, he bowed out of their path. As one, they stepped forward and entered the gigantic hall. Finrod’s earlier fascination disappeared. He fixed his eyes on the monarchs, his expression serious but warm. As they passed all the nobility of Menegroth, it was remarked how attractive the pair were, their striking hair, their proud but respectful gait.

Thingol watched his new found kin from over the sea stride into the hall. He noted the looks of his subjects. Some were openly awed, some reservedly so, but all attention was on the magnificent pair of Elves walking towards him.

Unlike Angrod, who had come earlier as a messenger, he saw the subtle hints of his brother Olwe in their stride and bright, stern faces. It had been so long since he had walked the starlit forests with his brother. Seeing the scions of Olwe brought an ache for friends and family long sundered.

Once they reached the dais, Finrod and bowed low. In his most formal tone, Finrod said, “Greetings Your Majesties, Lord and Lady of Beleriand. He turned and bowed to Luthien. “Your Highness, Princess of the Guarded Realm” Turning back to address Thingol, he continued,” My sister and I are pleased to finally meet our kin of old.” Artanis nodded a bow to each of the royals in greeting.

Much to the surprise of all present, Thingol descended from the dais and drew Finrod into a familial hug and then embraced Artanis, who, more prepared, smiled and returned the embrace.

Celeborn, who was standing behind them, saw the Queen give an almost imperceptible smirk. She then looked at Celeborn and he raised an eyebrow, just a hint, in response.

After a moment of surprise, Finrod smiled and looked up to the Queen and Princess. Melian’s expression hid faint amusement. When she met his glance, she smiled warmly, and nodded in greeting. Luthien’s expression was unreadable, she too bowed slightly but her expression held none of the warmth of her mother’s.

What Finrod did not know, was that it was a force of will that kept Luthien’s face unreadable. When he had looked up at her and smiled, she recognized his eyes. They were the eyes from her dream. The ones that had laughed at her in the dark, the ones that had warmed her.

Thingol turned the pair to the gathering of his subjects. “Lords and Ladies, People of Doriath, may I present my grand niece and grand nephew.” He paused as applause erupted from the now informed crowd. After it abated, he smiled heartily and said, “Would you please, all join us under the Hirilorn for the feast celebrating their arrival.”


~*~


Thingol escorted Artanis up the hill to the grand pavilion followed by Finrod and Melian, Celeborn and Luthien walked somewhat behind with the nobility.

Luthien spoke low to avoid gossiping ears. “What do you think of our long lost kin, cousin?”

Celeborn turned to his companion and studied her a moment. He had known her since childhood and he recognized the trouble in her voice. “From what I have seen and heard, Finrod is an uncommon Noldo. Artanis… well Artanis is Artanis.” He returned his eyes to the path and continued. “She is an enigma, she can be warm and curious, like her brother, and then in a breath of wind, cold and calculating. But they have that shadow that we see in all the Noldor, but it is less heavy on our new cousins.” After a pause he asked,” What troubles you Luthien? Your father is overjoyed.”

She looked down at her bare feet and replied. “It is nothing, it will pass.”

Pushing her tension away she turned back to her escort. She smiled up at him mischievously. “Yes, that was quite a display from the King of Beleriand.”

“You noticed that comment too.”

“How could I miss it, I have heard the reports from the North also, Councilor. I hope it does not cause strife with his Valinorean relations.” Luthien said with genuine concern.

“I do not think he cares, like I said, Finrod is an unusual Noldo. Fingolfin may be the High King of the Noldor in Endor, but Finrod looks after the people who name him lord and makes his own alliances.”

Luthien chided her elder friend ,“You seem quite taken with them, you are usually not so hasty”

“Taken? Well I would not go that far, Princess, but Finrod is a very likable sort and Artanis is … unique”

“Unique, you say? Sounds like more than that.”

Celeborn caught her insinuation. Smiling, he said, “I have no idea what you mean, Luthien.” Abruptly changing the subject he countered. “And what do you think of the Pair?”

“I have not so good information as yourself, I have only just now met them, as you must know”

“Yes, I know, but I know you have developed opinions. Please, do not keep me in suspense,” He said with a grin.

She looked again at the path. She hesitated a moment. Meeting Finrod had left her unsettled, his eyes reminded her of something in her dreams. She said in a hesitant whisper, “I find them… interesting.”

Celeborn again saw the unusual behavior in his friend. Knowing that forcing the issue would only make her more reticent, he let the matter drop. They continued the walk to the feast, silently consenting to end the direction of the conversation and think of lighter fare.


~*~


Several days after the feast, Finrod stood in the clearing near the Hirilorn. A cool night breeze whispered through the trees as he looked up at the stars. He noted that they seemed brighter here in Doriath, like they too enjoyed the Guarded Realm. The image of Luthien crept into his mind. He had spoken briefly with her but unfortunately never engaged her in true conversation. He found himself wishing that were not the case. He had watched her dance at the celebration. Her grace was unmatched. Maybe it was the blood of her mother that lent her such unearthly elegance. He felt a stir, familiar yet different than anything from the past. Then he placed it, the first time he met Amarie had a similar tingle yet this was different, not better or worse, different. He rebuked himself as he looked up at the stars in new wonder, “This is a dangerous slope, Findarato, we are just arrived, it would be ill to anger Thingol by seeking his daughter.” The quiet rustling of bare feet drew his attention. He turned to see the object of his musings standing just few paces away.


Luthien loved to come out, after the halls quieted and walk beneath the stars. The Hirilorn was her favorite place to gaze up at their glory, the giant tree adding magnificence to the view. She had been walking across the clearing, head down, deep in thought. She heard quiet words spoken and stopped. She looked up and saw a figure silhouetted against the sky, face turned up, observing. In the darkness she at first thought it was Celeborn, surveying the stars as he was wont to do. But as she looked closer she discovered it was not Celeborn. This watcher was slightly shorter, stood differently, and his hair was not as pale as her cousin’s. She saw his eyes turn to her and she recognized Finrod. A small tingle started in her belly, but whether it was excitement or apprehension, she was not quite sure. This Elflord roused new feelings in her, ones that both scared and warmed her.

When she found her voice, she said, “I did not mean to disturb you, my lord.”

“Your Highness, I was only looking at the stars. They seem brighter here in Doriath.” He hesitated a moment and then offered, “If you do not wish for company, I will retire.” Finrod tried to quash the hope that she would not leave.

“No, I would not intrude, I would leave you in peace if you were seeking solitude.” Luthien was unsure of her course. She really did not want to intrude, though the thought of staying both intrigued and unnerved her. The eyes from her dream resembled those that looked at her. The possibility that she had dreamed of him sent a small shiver of excitement and apprehension up her spine.

“Please stay, Your Highness. I had hoped to talk with you during the celebration but never found the opportunity. And it is just the two of us, please call me Finrod.”

Luthien replied, “As you wish Finrod. And since it is just the two of us, please call me Luthien.” His replying smile eased her anxiousness.

Turning her head up to the stars, she said, “It is a beautiful night, is it not?”

Finrod’s eyes remained on her sublime face for a moment, and as he turned his eyes skyward, he said, “Indeed it is Luthien.”

An awkward silence followed. Finrod felt the weight of the silence and said “The stars…” just as Luthien spoke the same words. They both hesitated and simultaneously apologized. Finrod chuckled and said, “Please, my lady, you first.”

Hiding a giggle of her own, she smiled and said, “I was only going to comment that I have noticed that stars do seem different in Doriath. I have been to Ossiriand and Nan Elmoth and they do not shine as bright. Is it the same in Hithlum and Mithrim?”

“Yes, it is as though they are happier to be seen here.”

“I have always thought it was something in relation to my mother, but I like your interpretation.” She smiled to herself. She heard his reverence and wonder.

They talked for a long while, the stars wheeled overhead. They spoke of small things, Finrod asking about Menegroth and Luthien of Minas Tirith. They kept the conversation light, Luthien avoided the hardship of the Helcarax and Finrod avoided the battles and hardship that preceded the arrival of the Noldor. They both told stories of their childhood and laughed at the predicaments that childhood stories always seemed to include. Luthien had Celeborn and his brother, Daeron and others of the nobility. Much to her father’s concern, she was either tussling with Galathil and Celeborn or dancing to Daeron’s music. Finrod spoke of all the trouble he and the Sons of Fingolfin caused. When she asked of the Feanorian brood, a shadow came over his face but quickly disappeared. He explained that the Feanorians had all long since reached their age of majority when he was maturing. He and Maedhros had become somewhat close, being the eldest of their houses. Luthien saw the shadow steal across his face and then quickly disappear, but etiquette held her tongue.

The sky was beginning to lighten noticeably. Finrod said, “Your Highness, it is getting, late, well rather, early. I would love to continue this conversation but I fear my sister will wonder at my absence should she wake and I am not there.”

Grinning sardonically, Luthien asked, “Do you fear her dissaproval?”

Finrod turned to her, and seeing her mischievous smile, laughed and looked up again at the stars. Thinking of his earlier conversation with Artanis about the king’s daughter he chuckled and replied, “It is not her I fear, it is her endless questions.”

Luthien said, “I would like to continue our conversation myself but I would not have you interrogated. Would you like to see the rest of Menegroth. We could resume our discussion and I could show you more of my home.”

“They are many things that I have found amazing. Though I have only seen them briefly, I would love to see more.”

That last comment hung on the air for a long moment. Finrod could not speak. The unintended double meaning of is words occurred to him and he hoped the Princess would not be offended if she perceived it.

Luthien, however, wondered at the comment, surely there was little here that rivaled Valinor, if the stories of her mother were to be believed. She thought more about what Celeborn had said. He was right, Finrod was an endearing ellon. The anxiety she had felt earlier had faded and now she thought of the dream with the smiling eyes. Maybe it was some of her inherited prescience, but she now warmed to the idea that this Noldo had entered her life. He was not like the rest of the nobility she knew. He was honest in his manner and she thought it was more than just Menegroth that had his interest. And she did not find the thought unappealing.

Luthien smiled at his words and said,” Shall I seek you out after the noon meal then?”

“I am afraid I shall have to seek you out my lady, your father spoke of hidden caves along the Narog and he has invited me to discuss them at that time. I am not sure when our meeting will conclude. Perhaps after the evening meal? If you are not already engaged, I would enjoy a tour from so distinguished a guide.” His warm smile was infectious.

“I believe you and your sister are dining with us in my father’s private chambers this evening. Then we may continue our conversation and I will show you the rest of Menegroth after we dine.”

Finrod said, “I would like that.” He offered her his arm and smiled again. “My lady, may I escort you back to the Halls.”

“Why yes, My Lord, you may.” She returned his easy smile with one of her own, thinking again how right Celeborn had been.

She placed her hand lightly on his arm and they walked back in an easy silence. Neither mentioned what was stirred by that slight touch but both wondered if the effect was shared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angarato: Quenya original for Angrod.
nis: woman, Quenya





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List