Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Very Special Birthday  by Gryffinjack

This story was originally written for Marigold’s Challenge #25.  The requirements were: The story must include Pearl and must be written around the time of Pippin’s birth.

DISCLAIMER: The characters all belong to the amazing world of Middle-earth created by the genius of J.R.R. Tolkien. I just borrowed them for a little while.

Thanks once again to Dreamflower and Marigold for the splendid beta-reads.

A/N: Bilbo is 99, Paladin is 56, Eglantine is 51, Frodo is 21, Pearl is 15, Pimpernel is turning 11, and Pervinca is 4 (Ages 62, 36, 33, 13 ½, 9, 7, and 2 ½ in Man-years).


A Very Special Birthday


Bilbo and Frodo Baggins had joined the Tooks at the Whitwell farm on Mersday, the day before Pimpernel’s birthday, so Bilbo could get the apple seedlings that Paladin had set aside for him to plant at Bag End. It was well known in the Shire that the tastiest apples were grown on Paladin Took’s farm in Whitwell. As agreed, Bilbo had traded one of the sought-after purebred kittens from Bag End’s latest litter for the seedlings. The kitten was to be a birthday gift to Pimpernel from Paladin and Eglantine.

Bilbo and Frodo had not only brought the kitten for Pimpernel’s present from her parents, but they had brought a present of their own for her as well, for they were not twelve-mile cousins.* Pimpernel had been very pleased with the new large wooden hoop and long smooth hoop-rolling stick they had given her. Pearl was quite pleased to show her little sister not only how to roll the hoop, but also how to make it roll faster and control its direction with the stick. Pimpernel was thoroughly delighted.

Paladin’s sister, Esmeralda, and her husband, Saradoc had sent their gift for Pimpernel by post. It really was too far to travel from Buckland all the way to Whitwell now for Pimpernel’s party when they would have to make the journey again in a month when Paladin and Eglantine’s new baby was born.

As things turned out, it was fortunate that Paladin and Eglantine had already given the little lass the smoky dark grey kitten right after dinner yesterday. Pimpernel had taken one look at the tiny kitten with its big, blue eyes and instantly fallen in love.

“Her name is ‘Buttons,” she immediately proclaimed as she nuzzled the soft grey ball of fur to her cheek. Pimpernel spent the remainder of the evening petting Buttons and barely remembered to give Pearl, Frodo, and Pervinca-lass a chance to pet the kitten. It seemed as though it was going to be a wonderful birthday.

But everything changed in the morning shortly after Pimpernel had given the family their presents and Mother had begun helping their maidservant, Aster Goodchild, to prepare the feast for the party that afternoon. That is when Eglantine’s pains came unexpectedly. The baby wasn’t supposed to come for another month yet, but here it was, only the thirtieth of Rethe, and now the pains had come early. Paladin immediately became worried and asked Bilbo to fetch the Healer while he and Aster went to Mother’s aid.

“And have Hildibold tell the others that the party is cancelled for today. You’ll find him in the far pasture. The party will have to be another day.”

“Don’t spare it another thought, Paladin!” exclaimed Bilbo in an encouraging voice before leaving to find Hildibold.

Father left Frodo and Pearl in charge of Pimpernel and Pervinca while he went to tend to Mother as best he could until Bilbo came back with the Healer. Pimpernel’s bottom lip quivered and her pale green eyes glistened with unshed tears. Frodo and Pearl exchanged panicked looks.

Frodo had done his best to take the lass’ mind off her birthday by asking Pearl and Pimpernel whether they wanted a brother or a sister.

“I don’t really care,” Pimpernel declared in an aloof voice. “I just want my kitten.” And she snatched Buttons up from where the poor kitten had been crouched, contentedly lapping up a bowl of cream.

“Well, I care,” snapped Pearl as she handed little Pervinca her letter book. She turned to look at Frodo and replied decisively, “While I prefer a brother, right now, I just want it to fare well, whether it be a brother or sister.”

“That is what we all wish, Pearl, of course. But don’t worry, Echinacea Boffin is an excellent Healer.” Frodo was always such a comfort when he was around. It must be a Baggins trait, for Bilbo was the same way. But then Frodo’s expression turned from one of comfort to one of curiosity. “Why a brother?”

“Why, I already have two sisters!” she exclaimed. “That one,” Pearl said, pulling a face as she indicated Pimpernel, “is already pestering me to borrow my best hair ribbons and even my foothair comb since she’s lost hers again. And it will only get worse once Pervinca is old enough and wants to borrow my belongings, too.” Pearl glanced at the faunt who was still looking at her letter book. When Pervinca heard her name and looked up at her older sister, Pearl rewarded her by sticking her tongue out at her little sister. Pervinca ran over to Pearl and hugged her, giggling with delight.

”Besides, mayhap it will be fun to see the mischief a Took lad could get into with a lad’s sense of curiosity.” Pearl’s face serious as she turned again toward Frodo and addressed him pointedly. “But most of all, because there are already far too many lasses in this Took family…and no lads.”

“Ah, I see your point,” said Frodo, dawning comprehension clearly in evident in his blue eyes. “Of course. When Lalia dies, Thain Ferumbras III will not only be the Thain, but he will also become the head of the Tooks. Since Cousin Ferumbras seems unlikely to marry as long as old Lalia’s alive, both titles pass to your father one day since he is next in the line of succession according to the rules of the Tooks.”

“Yes,” Pearl frowned. “And since the Thainship follows a male line of succession, that means that unless Mother and Father have a son, the Thainship would pass to Cousin Isemgar, and he would be the head of the entire Took clan once Mother and Father are gone.” Talking about what would happen when her parents were gone reminded Pearl briefly that her mother, who was having her pains early, might be in danger right now.

“So you see, we were really hoping for a lad, though you will be hard pressed to get Mother or Father to admit it,” she concluded.

Of all of the Tooks, Isemgar was well regarded to be the most foolish of them even by Took standards, and not in a good way. And while the position of Thain in the Shire was not nearly as important as it once had been, it was still a position that Pearl and the rest of the Tooks had great pride in and wanted to see remain in responsible hands.

“When you put it like that, so do I,” agreed Frodo, wincing at the thought of that particular hobbit ever becoming Thain.

Like most young gentlehobbits, Frodo and Pearl knew every detail of their family trees and were old enough now to understand the implications and the added importance of this child. Pearl could still remember the slight look of disappointment etched on her father’s face for an instant when Mistress Echinacea announced that Pervinca was a lass. It faded almost immediately into a proud grin once he held his new daughter, but Pearl had seen that look and understood. Now the new baby was coming weeks earlier than it should.

Pearl glanced at the closed door leading to the family’s bedchambers and frowned once more. “It’s a whole month early,” she continued. “Oh, Frodo! It’s far too early for the baby to come! Whether it be a lad or a lass, we just need it to live and be healthy. We’ll give it all the love any babe could ever wish for.”

Frodo nodded and put an arm around his cousin. “I know that you will, Pearl. One thing is certain; this babe is definitely a Took, as impatient as it is to come into the world,” he said with an encouraging grin.

From over in the corner where she was petting Buttons, Pimpernel scowled at Frodo and Pearl and began to cry. “This is the worst birthday that ever was! It’s not fair!”

“There, now, dear. It’s not as bad as all that!” Pearl tried to soothe her. Seeing that little Pervinca was becoming upset at Pimpernel’s outburst, Pearl handed her the small wooden toy that Cousin Bilbo had given to her on his last birthday. It was a very clever toy, a brightly painted wooden hobbit between two wooden posts that jumped up and down and over a string held in his hands when the bottoms of the posts were squeezed together. The toy had the desired effect – Pervinca immediately forgot all about her sister’s woes as all of her attentions were on the wooden toy.

Pearl went over and put an arm around Pimpernel, pulling her into a hug. “Your birthday will be grand. We’ll find a way, you’ll see,” she tried to reassure her.

“No, it won’t!” Pimpernel sobbed through her tears. “Mother’s going to be abed all day and Father’s going to be too busy tending to Mother. They won’t have any time to pay any attention to my birthday. There’s not going to be a party! I hate this baby – it’s ruining everything!” she wailed, storming out of the smial and slamming the door behind her as she ran into the newly sown field of oats. Even though Pimpernel had just turned eleven years old this day, she still knew how to throw a fine tantrum.

Pearl gasped in horror. Pimpernel could be thoughtless of others at times, thinking only of herself, but not like this.

“You stay here. I’ll go talk to her,” volunteered Frodo. “I’m sure she does not really mean it.”

Pearl stared forlornly out the window at her sister’s small form as Frodo ran after her. Frodo had always had a talent for calming her sometimes-moody sister. Actually, she recalled, he had calmed her down a few times, too, though he was just a few years older than her.

Less than half an hour later, Frodo led Pimpernel back into the smial, Pimpernel looking a bit shamed.

“I’m sorry, Pearl,” she said sheepishly through a tear-stained face, finding her furry feet to suddenly be of interest. “I do care about the baby and want it to be well … although I’d still rather have my kitten,” she added stubbornly.

Pearl’s heart immediately went out to her poor little sister. It couldn’t be easy for such a young lass to have her birthday party cancelled at the last minute. And she was too young to really understand about the danger the unborn baby was in.

“It is all right, dearest!” She reached for Pimpernel and hugged her tenderly. “We’re all worried. And Mother and Father are certain to have your party just as soon as possible. You heard Father.” Pimpernel smiled through her tears and hugged Pearl tightly in return.

Frodo and Pearl exchanged smiles as Pearl mouthed a silent “thank you” to Frodo. Just then, Pearl heard the sounds of people coming up the path. The door opened and Echinacea Boffin strode into the room with her medical satchel, followed by Bilbo.

“Miss Pearl, boil some water and make sure there are plenty of cloths available for when I need them. I’ll send Aster out to help you. Master Frodo, please keep the other two lasses quiet – perhaps you can take them outside for some fresh air,” ordered Mistress Echinacea. “Mr. Baggins, I trust you can see to starting afternoon tea?”

Bilbo’s eyes grew wide in surprise at such a question.

“Yes, of course I can. I’ll start on it just as soon as I make certain that word has been sent to the rest of the Tooks and the other friends and kin that Pimpernel’s party has been cancelled due to this unexpected development.”

After Pearl had finished helping Aster with the boiling water and cloths Mistress Echinacea needed, she went outside to help Frodo with Pimpernel and Pervinca. She soon caught them up and they all went over to where the sheep were pastured. Although spring was just beginning, the weather was quite fair and the afternoon sun shone above. They sat on one of the wooden fences gazing at the big, woolly sheep and idled away the time by picking out which of the sheep were the prettiest, the nicest, the largest, and the smallest.

By the time Bilbo called them in for afternoon tea, they were very hungry indeed, since nobody had really eaten much at lunch. Bilbo was as good a cook as Pearl recalled from her last visit to Bag End. There was sliced ham, two types of cheeses, a lovely mushroom pie, apples, and a delicious cinnamon and ginger bread that Aster had made from the old Took family receipt. Father did not come to the dining room to eat with everyone else, preferring to stay by Mother’s bedside. Instead, Aster brought a tray to him as well as to Mistress Echinacea, though poor Mother was allowed to have naught but the ice chips Aster brought her from the cold cellar.

The wait seemed interminable. Even with Bilbo telling them stories of his long ago journey with the Dwarves, Pearl chewed her bottom lip as she worried about Mother or the new baby. She even caught Pimpernel looking over a few times in the direction of Mother and Father’s bedchamber.

“I’ll tell you what,” said Bilbo cheerily with a twinkle in his eye. “Why don’t I teach you a new walking song? We’ll have to sing quietly though. We mustn’t disturb your mother. Let me see…” He looked around the room in thought with his index finger tapping against his lips. Suddenly, his face brightened as his eyes lit upon Buttons, sitting in Pimpernel’s lap purring in her sleep.

“I know! I don’t think I’ve taught any of you this one yet!” Bilbo proceeded to teach them a very humorous song about a cat that soon had Pimpernel giggling and little Pervinca-lass clapping her tiny hands by the end.

They spent the rest of the evening similarly occupied. Although Pearl would have liked to play her harp, the only music they could have was the singing, which they did very softly so as not to disturb Mother. Pearl had put first Pervinca and then Pimpernel to bed long before Bilbo stopped telling stories or singing songs with Frodo and her.

She had to laugh at Pimpernel’s last comment to her as she tucked her little sister into her bed. “At least it looks like the baby won’t be born on my birthday,” Pimpernel said, the corners of her mouth turned up in a smile as she looked at Pearl with large green eyes full of hope. “Not that I’d mind, really,” she hastened to add, “It’s just that, well, I’d prefer to have my own separate birthday. That way, the baby and I would each have our own special days.”

“Well, mayhap you will get your wish, dearest.” Pearl brushed Pimpernel’s light brown locks off her forehead. It was getting late and she was reasonably certain that based upon Mistress Echinacea’s latest news, the babe would not come until the morrow. “After all, this is still your birthday and the byrding should be granted her special wish. Good night.”

After her sisters were asleep, Pearl crept back out to the sitting room where Frodo and Bilbo still waited. She listened intently as Bilbo told stories of when they were born. First, he told of when Frodo was born on a blustery autumn evening in Buckland. She watched Frodo as Bilbo told of his birth; he had that strange, faraway look on his face that he often got when thinking of his parents. But even as he looked to be far off, Frodo smiled gently, his blue eyes moist as he listened.

Then Cousin Bilbo told of Pearl’s own birth here in Whitwell on the tenth of Afterlithe. Pearl could feel herself smiling from ear to ear as Bilbo told how her father had been helping some of the workers dig a new well even though it was raining when Aster had come running over to fetch him. Bilbo described how her father was covered in mud from the top of his curly head to the bottoms of his furry feet. It always amazed Pearl to hear of how her mother had been having her pains for two days before Pearl was born.

Mother was slender for a hobbit and each of their births had taken a long time. It had already been the greater part of a day with this baby. Hopefully, it would not take much longer if the baby was determined to come so early as Frodo had said.

Pearl tried to stay awake so she could be there to welcome her new brother or sister when it arrived, but could not keep her eyes open any longer. She was startled when Cousin Bilbo woke her up. Blinking her bleary eyes a few times, Pearl bid Frodo and him good night and groggily went to her bedchamber.

It was early morning before she knew it. The sun was shining dimly over the bright yellow coverlet on her bed, but she heard noises in the hallway. Could it be? She didn’t know what it meant and took it in turns to first smile hopefully and then bite her bottom lip in fear of the possibilities.

Creeping out of her room as silently as she could so as not to disturb Pimpernel and Pervinca in the next room, Pearl made her way back to the sitting room and blinked a few times as her eyes adjusted to the light coming from the lamps. Her heart stilled as she saw her father standing with his back toward her, talking seriously to Bilbo and Frodo.

“Father! Is all well?” she asked in a voice that sounded too loud to her ears.

Paladin turned around to face her and grinned. “Yes, my child. Everything is indeed well!”

Pearl exhaled a large breath in relief and her heart resumed beating. She rushed over to her father and put her arms around him in a tight hug.

“Oh, Father! I’ve been so worried!”

“Would you like to meet your new baby brother?”

It took a moment for Pearl to realise what he had said. Turning her face up to look at his, she caught the glint of his green eyes and the broad grin that threatened to split his face in twain. Her heart began to race with excitement as she stepped back to get a better look at him.

“A brother?”

Paladin chuckled gently and rested a hand softly on the top of her messy chestnut curls.

“Aye, lass. A brother. It is a fine little lad this time,” he said proudly.

Her eyes widened as she thought of how much earlier than expected he had arrived. “And he’s …” she started.

”He’s as hale as old Bilbo here! He and your mother are both well.” Paladin exclaimed before sobering. “He’s a wee little thing, and Mistress Echinacea said we will have to keep our eye on him. Being so small, she is concerned about his lungs. She plans on staying here for the first few days just to be certain he is doing well. But by the way he was screaming, I’d say his lungs are just fine!”

Pearl laughed aloud along with her father and cousins.

“Mistress Echinacea said he is the most vocal newborn she has seen in all her years of healing!” Paladin laughed, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.

“Father… may I really go see him?” Pearl gulped.

“Aye. For a few minutes. But you must be very quiet – your mother is sleeping and needs as much rest as the babe will allow.”

Pearl nodded solemnly. Of course she would be quiet; she was old enough to know not to disturb Mother. She followed Paladin down the hall and into her parents’ bedchamber. It was dimly lit with a lone candle standing on the dresser, but enough light shone so Pearl could see how pale and tired Mother was. She glanced around the room and saw Mistress Echinacea holding a swaddled bundle.

“Father said I might hold him … for a few minutes,” she whispered tentatively, knowing that no matter what her father had said, it was Mistress Echinacea who was in charge.

“Hmmm…” The Healer looked sceptically at her for a moment before nodding her approval. “But just a few minutes and no longer,” she said in her strictest voice. Pearl walked around the bed and over to Mistress Echinacea, who carefully placed the baby in Pearl’s arms and made certain that his tiny head was supported by her arm.

Pearl brushed the cloth out of the way and looked down at her new baby brother for the first time. He was smaller than Pervinca had been, but she supposed that was to be expected. After all, he was born so much earlier than he should have that it was no wonder he was so tiny.

“Have you and Mother named him yet, Father?” she whispered, looking up at him.

“We have. His name is Peregrin. Peregrin Took,” Paladin beamed. “It means ‘traveller in strange countries’. Not an ordinary name for a hobbit, to be certain. Don’t ask me how, but I feel that the pull of the Took blood is very strong in this babe. His path will include adventure beyond anything my eyes have seen.”

Pearl smiled down at the pink newborn in her arms. He was so warm and tiny that she loved him already. “Then it is a very good name for a Took. Hullo, little Peregrin-lad! I’m your sister, Pearl. I expect we will be getting much better acquainted.”

Peregrin opened his eyes briefly as he yawned and stretched out his little limbs.

“Why, his eyes are as blue as Frodo’s!” she exclaimed in surprise.

“More than likely, they will turn, Miss Pearl. Most hobbit lads and lasses are born with blue eyes. It takes several months before they turn their true colour, if they turn at all,” explained Mistress Echinacea. “But in all probability, they will turn Tookish green.”

“Yes, dear,” added her father. “They are the same shade of blue as yours were when you were born, though a bit darker than your sisters’.”

“I believe that is enough for now, Miss Pearl,” said Mistress Echinacea. She came over to Pearl and took little Peregrin back into her own arms. “The little lad needs his rest.”

Reluctantly, Pearl left the room and returned to the sitting room where Bilbo and Frodo waited patiently.

“Well?” asked Frodo. “I have yet to see him. How is my new Took cousin?”

Pearl beamed at them as she thought a moment. “He is beautiful! His hair is almost golden, but it has a ginger cast to it. And his eyes! Frodo, he has your eyes! They are so blue, though Mistress Echinacea says they are likely to turn Tookish green when he gets a bit older. And he has the sweetest bow shaped mouth, too!”

Frodo laughed heartily at her. “So I see you are quite taken with the lad already! I’ll not tell Merry. No doubt he would be jealous of the competition for your affections.”

The tips of Pearl’s ears burned, but she didn’t mind. It was true. Her little brother already had won a special place in her heart. After a moment, she recovered herself sufficiently to make a retort.

“Be careful, cousin. We shall see what happens when you get your first look at him,” she warned impertinently with a wide grin. “He’s a special baby and I daresay he will charm you as well. Perhaps it is you who should be worried about Merry’s reaction once he sees how taken you are with your newest lad cousin.”

“Oh, come now, Pearl! Surely you exaggerate; all babies are endearing. He can’t be as charming as all that, can he?” Frodo looked over to Bilbo for his answer. For Bilbo had been allowed to see the baby for a moment out of respect.

Bilbo took his time clearing his throat before replying. “I’m no expert on babies, but little Peregrin looks more like a Took than any babe I’ve ever seen.”

“I see,” said Frodo, the grin on his face and in his eyes threatening to spill over into more hearty laughter. “Then he will be rather special after all. I guess Merry-lad will have to get used to sharing our affections. Who knows? Perhaps this babe will work his magic on Merry, too, and he will find a special place in his heart for little Peregrin as well.”


*In Tolkien’s Letter #214 of The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolkien explains that “In the Shire etiquette, at the date of the Party, ‘expectation of receiving’ was limited to second cousins or nearer kin, and to residence within 12 miles. … Hence the Hobbit expression ‘a twelve-mile cousin’ for a person who stickled for the law, and recognized no obligations beyond its precise interpretation: one who would give you no present if the distance from his doorstep to yours was not under 12 miles (according to his own measurement).”





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List