Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From the Shadows  by jenolas

Disclaimer: LOTR belongs to the creative genius of JRR Tolkien, not me.

From the Shadows

Chapter 14


While he waited for the messenger he had summoned, Faramir once more read the letter he had written to King Eomer informing him of the news regarding Boromir. Due to the strained relations between Denethor and Theoden, dealings between Minas Tirith and Rohan had normally been conducted in this manner, but there had been occasions when the paths of Boromir and Eomer had crossed. Over time the men had gained respect for each other and had formed a lasting friendship, just as the Steward had with his newly acquired brother in law. Faramir knew the young King was still mourning the loss of his uncle but he was certain that he would be pleased to hear Boromir lived, and even more pleased to pass the glad tidings on to Eowyn and Arwen who were currently visiting Edoras.

“Enter,” Faramir called out when he heard the knock on his study door. Without raising his eyes from the letter he was about to sign and seal, he silently gestured for the man to take a seat and wait.

“Is that any way to greet a dear friend and the Captain of your Rangers, no less?” Dareth teased as he walked over to the desk and casually glanced at the missive in his friend’s hand. “Edoras, I see,” he said indicating the message that Faramir was now placing in a leather pouch. Their eyes locked momentarily and no words of explanation of the content were needed.

“I thought you were my messenger,” Faramir explained as he stood and gave his friend an affectionate hug. Dareth returned the gesture then settled himself in Faramir’s chair and took a large sip from the goblet of wine of which the Steward had not yet partaken.

“Well, my Steward, I am not your messenger to Rohan, but I do bear some good tidings. Boromir is in Osgiliath.”

“Are you certain?” Faramir’s surprise quickly turned to relieved happiness and he could not help but smile.

“I will admit to distrusting my own eyes for a few moments, but once he acknowledged me, and our long-standing wager of course, there was no doubt our Lord Boromir had returned.”

“How is he feeling? I assume Aragorn and Legolas were with him? When are they coming to Minas Tirith? We must prepare a welcome!” The words were spoken rapidly but with such joy that had not been seen in his friend for a long time that it warmed the ranger’s heart to see it. As one of the few whom Faramir had turned to in his grief and knowing how close the brothers were, Dareth understood the man’s obvious excitement at Boromir’s imminent arrival.

“In answer to your questions, Boromir is still not entirely himself, and yes the King and Legolas are accompanying him home. I suspect the journey will take longer than usual so you have ample time to prepare a celebration... does anyone in the city know he is alive?” Dareth asked almost as an afterthought. He had not spent much time in Minas Tirith since the war, there were still followers of the Dark Lord to be found lurking in the countryside where the rangers patrolled.

“Who would have believed me had I told them? Will they believe me even now?” Faramir frowned and shook his head knowing the people would have simply thought such a revelation was nothing more than a grieving brother’s wishful thinking.

“Some will not, at least until he rides through the gates, but we rangers can be very persuasive when the need arises. I will have our friends spread the word, you have the servants prepare the feast,” Dareth said as he stood and placed a reassuring hand on Faramir's shoulder and was surprised to feel him shaking slightly. The ranger took a closer look at his friend who had not long since recovered from his own near death. The man was obviously tired and under much stress, judging by the dark circles under his eyes and the paleness of his complexion, but there was no denying the glimmer of happiness in his eyes.

“Boromir will likely prefer only the company of his friends but I trust you will see that they travel in safety from Osgiliath?” Faramir stated. Dareth nodded his understanding the implied ‘from a distance‘.

“Send Eomer your message, and then, my friend, try to get some sleep. No doubt you will find little time to do so once you have Boromir back here to annoy!”

“Someone must be fully awake to prevent you and he from indulging in any ridiculous wagers,“ Faramir replied, rolling his eyes in mock exasperation. Both men laughed at the friendly jest. “But how shall the people welcome him? As the Steward he rightfully is by our father‘s death?” Faramir had barely given this matter any thought, but he realised that he was fully prepared to move aside to allow his brother to take whatever role he chose, if any.

“We will welcome him as we always have, as a favoured Son of Gondor, as Minas Tirith’s champion returned to us by a miracle beyond our understanding,“ Dareth replied, voicing the sincere admiration and respect he felt for Lord Boromir.

Still a great deal of doubt remained in Faramir’s mind and he wondered whether Boromir would even consider resuming his role as General, let alone Steward. But that could be decided later. All he really cared about at the moment was that his long lost and much beloved brother was coming home.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dareth had not been exaggerating when he told Faramir that Boromir would need to travel at a lesser pace than usual, for indeed the man found riding again after so long to be an exhausting and somewhat painful experience. Mindful of this friend’s discomfort, Aragorn called for numerous rest breaks as they made their way back to Minas Tirith. They hoped to arrive in the city before dusk, and despite the many stops, they were making good time.

Boromir easily recognised the path they were taking and he seemed to gain an inner strength the nearer they approached their destination. He also became more pensive. Aragorn signalled it was time to take another rest and not being overly fond of the habit, Legolas eyed hid friend with unconcealed disdain as Aragorn lit his pipe as soon as he had dismounted.

“We are being watched,” Aragorn said to Legolas, his voice so soft only an Elf could hear his words.

“Aye, but I do not sense danger. I will see who is out there. I will return shortly, ” Legolas answered, his eyes constantly casting furtive glances around the small wooded area where they had stopped. He had felt as if they were being watched ever since they had left Osgiliath but since nothing untoward had happened he had not mentioned it. Now that Aragorn felt the same uneasiness, he decided to investigate. His absence would also give the two men time to speak privately, something he sensed they needed to do.

“You are concerned with how you will be received?” Aragorn asked of Boromir once Legolas had disappeared from view. He handed the tired man the water skin as they settled beneath the shade of one of the larger trees.

“Aye, in part, although judging by my reception at the tavern, I think I have little to fear in that regard,” Boromir admitted. His lack of self confidence, his self loathing had temporarily blinded him to the high regard and respect his people felt for him and he had indeed felt welcomed and very much at home. Aragorn merely nodded his agreement and waited for Boromir to continue. “I am more concerned about Faramir.”

“How so? Do you think he will stand aside for you? Or do you fear he will not?” Aragorn asked, thinking of how the young Steward would feel knowing the true successor to his position was in the city. This was a matter for the brothers and he to discuss when they were together, but he was interested in hearing Boromir thoughts on the subject.

“The role of Steward is his; I will not claim it. As for my position as General, that is also not an option in my present condition, but it was not in regards to my position that I was referring.” Boromir explained, noting the concerned frown on Aragorn’s brow. Although he was improving rapidly, it would be some time before the man was physically fit enough to wield his sword and shield with the skill and strength that he had once possessed.

“You do not have to make that decision yet, but I assure you that you have a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be of invaluable assistance to me.“ Aragorn stated, masking his surprise and disappointment at Boromir’s reluctance to assume an authoritative role, albeit with good reason at present, he was forced to admit. “If this is not the issue, then what is bothering you?”

“Faramir is still plagued by nightmares. The shadow of the Dark Lord, the pain he caused lingers inside him still, he grieves for our father... he needs me and I need him because I feel all those things too.” Boromir looked away, his shame for his past actions still very much an open wound.

“Aye, but you can help each other heal.” Aragorn could not fault his reasoning.

TThey sat in silence for a while simply enjoying the soothing sounds of the breeze rustling in the leaves and Aragorn was not surprised to see Boromir’s chin resting on his chest as he fell asleep. He wondered if Legolas was talking to the trees as was his wont, but the smile that thought brought to his face quickly vanished when he realised his elvish friend was no longer content to live in the forests. The call of the sea had claimed him, and although he hid it well, the man knew the Elf also suffered a silent pain, certainly not dark like Boromir's but it was pain nevertheless. The Dark Lord had left his mark on all his friends in one manner or another, and even his and Arwen’s happiness was overshadowed by loss.

Aragorn sensed rather than heard Legolas return, and he held his pipe up to indicate he had finished smoking. The Elf came and sat at his side so they could speak quietly without waking Boromir.

“Are we being followed?” Aragorn asked.

“Aye, but by friend rather than foe. Dareth sent a few of his men to see we arrived safely. They have not approached out of respect for Boromir’s privacy. The ranger felt our friend would prefer to travel with as few guards as possible.” Legolas confirmed.

“Has Faramir been informed of our arrival?” Aragorn asked, already knowing the answer and pleased to feel his own ranger instincts were still in tact. Undoubtedly it was his Steward who had asked the rangers to see to both the safety of the King and his travelling companions.

“Aye, and all of Minas Tirith is aware of who draws near.” Legolas replied with a sparkle in his eye that spoke of a little mischief and perhaps a secret or two. His silvery laughter of happiness warmed Aragorn’s heart and banished his dark thoughts, at least for a time.

“And you know this how?”

“Do you see that rise over there?” Aragorn nodded as he looked to where Legolas pointed. “Not only do my Elf eyes tell me we are close to the city, but also they can see the people bearing flowers and banners and gaily-coloured streamers gathered outside the gate waiting for the Lord Boromir. There are many market stalls and such, and much singing and dancing. I also see men on horses, riding this way, with your Steward in the lead.” Legolas explained, his eyes alight with joy for his friend.

“I would expect nothing less from his beloved city, he deserves nothing less,” Aragorn replied, equally as pleased at the obviously very welcoming reception that awaited Boromir.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List