Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Blessed Ones  by Antane

A/N:  A bit of fluff as a present for those reading "The Lucky Ones" to protect their hearts against the Grey Havens coming up (or depending on the order you read this, a bit of fluff to help you recover from that heartbreak).  A big le hannon for Tathar for writing "Bless Them" - one of my very favorite stories! :)

The fourteen-year-old hobbit knelt down beside his uncle and outstretched his arms to the fauntling toddling toward him on unsteady legs. “Come on, Sam,” Frodo encouraged with a wide smile. “You can do it. I know you can.”

The small child, barely more than two and just learning to master the art of walking on his own, looked up at his friend with a bright smile. He crossed the space between his mother’s arms and Frodo’s in a half-walk, half-stumble and ended with falling into his friend’s arms.

Frodo gathered him up with a laugh that sounded like sunshine and gave him a quick kiss to the head. “See, Sam, I knew you could it!” he enthused. “I’m so proud of you!”

The child beamed up at him and giggled. Frodo stood, took Sam’s hand in his and the two walked away together, staring adoringly into each other’s eyes.

Bilbo chuckled. “It’s so good, Bell, to see Frodo smiling again, even laughing,” he remarked to the child’s mother as they watched them leave and start a circuit around Bag End’s garden. “The last two years have been so difficult for him since his parents died, but Samwise always get him to smile.”

“Yes, Mr. Bilbo, I daresay the lads have found life-long friends in each other,” Bell Gamgee agreed.

“I hope so, Bell, I truly do. Frodo needs someone like that in his life, some anchor, someone who will never abandon him.”

“Well, Samwise adores him and no mistake.”

“And Frodo returns it full fold, that much is obvious.” Bilbo sighed happily. “I’m glad, Bell, very glad. He’s been so lonely at the Hall, you know. He needs someone to lavish all his love on and he has so much to give, so very much.”

“He loves you, too, Mr. Bilbo,” Belle said. “I can see it in the way his eyes shine when he’s looking at you.”

The old hobbit smiled. “And I love him, Bell, most out of all my myriad relations. He needs some time away from them all for some individual attention now and then, some spoiling.”

“And I know Samwise benefits from the time Frodo spends here too,” Bell said. “Would you believe the child’s first word was Mr. Frodo’s name?”

Bilbo laughed. “Was it indeed? Well, well.”

They watched as the two returned from their walk. The fauntling was being carried on his beloved friend’s shoulders. He giggled as he covered Frodo’s eyes as they stopped in front of Bilbo and Bell, their faces shining.

“Well, my boy, did you have a good walk?” Bilbo asked.

“Yes, uncle, we did. Didn’t we, Sam?” he asked his friend as he reached up and gently put him down on the ground.

“Mrs. Gamgee here just told me Samwise’s first word was your name,” the elder hobbit informed his nephew with a smile.

Frodo looked astonished, then he laughed and looked down at his friend who beamed up at him, loving the sound of that laugh. “Truly, Sam?”

The child nodded vigorously.

“Then I’m very honored. Can you say it again?”

“Fro-o,” Sam said proudly.

“That’s very good, Sam!” Frodo praised with a wide smile and the child’s face lit up as bright as the sun. “Next time I come, you’ll have to tell me everything else you are learning to say. I can’t wait!”

He gave him a quick hug and kiss before returning him to his mother, then watched the two return down to road to Number 3.

“I think you’ve found the brother you’ve always wanted, my boy,” Bilbo said with a smile.

Frodo beamed. “Yes, Uncle. And then, when Merry’s born, I’ll have two of them!”

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List