Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 32 - Sméagol

Aragorn held his breath, waiting for Legolas to release the arrow that would bring down the creature skulking on the shore. His body was stiff with tension, and he clenched his fists in frustration at their position. Rain streamed down from dark clouds, soaking through the elvish cloak he wore. His mind felt heavy at the dark possibilities that would arise from this decision. His common sense told him that they should kill the creature, yet his heart screamed in protest to this. Did Gollum's presence in their camp mean they had already been betrayed to the enemy? Aragorn reached for his own bow, wishing to be ready if they were taken off guard. The rain grew more insistent, and still they waited.

"What is it, Elf?" Gimli hissed through his teeth, "what stays your hand?"

Aragorn stared intently at Legolas' face. The Elf seemed outwardly calm, yet more pale than usual. In his eyes Aragorn could see more emotion than the Elf would have chosen to display, and he was suddenly aware of a great conflict battling inside his friend.

"Legolas?" he asked, glancing quickly at the dark shape that was the object of the Elf's distress. Gollum was sheltered, half hidden, behind the boats on the shore, seemingly unaware of the Fellowship standing not six metres away. Aragorn could hear the quiet movements of its feet as it shifted in the mud of the bank.

The Elf stiffened at the sound of Aragorn's voice, and a slight tremor shook his hold on the bow. Then Legolas turned, lowering his bow and dropping his gaze.

"I cannot, Aragorn," he whispered so quietly that the Ranger barely heard. "I cannot trust myself not to kill it."

Aragorn was stunned, seeing perhaps for the first time how deeply his friend had been affected by the deaths in Mirkwood this creature had caused. He should never have forced such a responsibility upon the Elf, yet could trust no one else to hit such a target in the dark and the rain without killing the creature.

Someone shifted a foot, one of the Hobbits, though he could not detect which one. The black shape on the bank stiffened instantly, frozen to the spot. Aragorn could see it was ready to flee, and knew he could not let that happen. As Gollum sprang into motion, Aragorn fitted an arrow to his bow and fired. There was a screech from the black shape as it fell, then a splash and muttered curses from the water's edge.

With frantic speed Aragorn rushed forwards with Faramir and Gimli, leaving Legolas standing wide-eyed on the bank. In the shallows Gollum was thrashing to be free of the arrow that had pinned him to the earth. Falling to his knees in the dark water Aragorn was surprised see that there was no blood upon the pale flesh, nor a wound of any kind. Grasping the arrow shaft in the midst of Gollum spitting curses and struggling, he saw with wonder that his arrow had not injured the creature in any way, only stuck in the dirty cloth that was the only garment Gollum wore, and entrenched itself in the mud of the bank!

Gimli lunged forward, attempting to grab the creature around the neck, but Gollum evaded his touch, squirming away with a screech and leaving Gimli floundering in the mud.

"His arms, Faramir, quickly!" Aragorn moved with a swiftness that surprised Gollum, and he managed to catch a hold of one of the flailing arms before he could twist away. There was a tearing sound as the cloth stuck by the arrow tore free.

Gollum splashed to his feet, trying to wrench himself out of his captor's hold. The pale skin was slippery beneath his fingers and Aragorn felt himself losing his grip. He yanked on the arm, so that Gollum lost his footing and fell face first into the water.

Then Faramir was able to catch hold of Gollum's other arm, though the creature struggled violently, trying to strike out at the men who held him. Aragorn tightened his grip. He was determined not to let Gollum escape now they had him. He well remembered the last time he had pursued Gollum almost to Mordor itself in order to capture him. He had no desire for another such chase.

Nodding to Faramir to follow his lead, Aragorn hauled on Gollum's arm as he stood. Dragging the creature between them they moved to higher ground, followed by the disgruntled and very wet Dwarf.

Under normal circumstances Aragorn would have expected an amusing comment from Legolas on Gimli's appearance, but the Elf had not seemed to notice his stout friend, and had eyes only for the creature.

Looking up at the startled faces of his companions Aragorn felt a sudden surge of helplessness. What were they to do now? For safety's sake they could not let Gollum go free from here, yet taking him with the Fellowship would be near impossible.

"We need rope," he managed to say, breaking the others out of their stupor.

Sam jumped. "I knew it would come in handy!" he exclaimed. He went to his pack and rummaged inside for a moment.

Aragorn felt Gollum twisting within his grasp, and shared a dark glance with Faramir as they struggled to restrain him.

Gimli, after brushing himself off thoroughly, had now recovered his dignity and was quite ready for the next challenge. "Here, Master Samwise, this is the job for a Dwarf!

We Dwarves, it is needless to say," he remarked as he took the elven rope from the Hobbit, "excel at tying knots!"

Aragorn grimaced at the scream of fear Gollum gave as they tried to bring his arms together behind him. The wretched creature seemed so small and weak surrounded by the tall figures of the two men and the stout Dwarf that Aragorn almost pitied his fear.

Gimli pulled the rope tight, and almost immediately Gollum went slack in their grasp, and began a constant whine that continued on into the silence. Aragorn was not careless enough, however, to fall for this ploy and he gripped the creature's arm tighter still.

His eyes wandered to Legolas, where the Elf stood slightly back from them. For once Aragorn could not read the Elf's features and he wished he then had the time to speak alone with his friend.

Gimli seemed to sense this, pulling slightly in the cord attached to Gollum's hands. "I will take care of this while you three bring in the boats. We have had quite enough visitors for one night."

Aragorn gave Gimli a grateful nod, relieved that he could leave Gollum in dependable hands.

Motioning to Legolas and Faramir he moved back down to the shore, picking his way over the treacherous ground.

When he reached the boats he stopped, waiting with his back turned and one hand resting on the prow of the nearest vessel. He noted with some annoyance that the boats were gathering water with all the rain that had fallen.

Legolas and Faramir appeared beside him soon after, and before Aragorn could speak Faramir asked, "What will you do?"

Aragorn sighed, unsure, and flashed a worried glance at Leoglas. The Elf returned the gaze steadily but said nothing.

Faramir had perceived the uncomfortable tension between the two friends and changed his line of questioning. "Do you think the appearance of the Nazgul is related to Gollum's presence?"

Aragorn nodded and said darkly, "Perhaps. And I see your point. We cannot let him go free from here." He saw his own fears reflected in the eyes of his friends. There was no way now that they could risk freeing Gollum. It was too dangerous. They could not be sure whether Gollum was in league with the enemy, revealing their location to others who might watch. Had the Nazgul's sudden appearance been just a coincidence?

Once again silence fell and the tension grew between them.

"What say you, Legolas?" Aragorn asked, feeling irritated that his friend would neither support his judgement nor reveal his fears.

Legolas glared at him, and there was sad determination in his eyes. After a long moment the Elf spoke, "You know what I would say, Aragorn. I would council you to destroy the creature now and rid us of this threat."

"He is defenceless in our hands," Faramir said, "surely it would be better to wait and understand more of our enemy than kill out of fear."

He felt Legolas stiffen beside him The Elf's eyes darkened and Aragorn knew he had taken Faramir's words as an insult to his pride. "I am not afraid." he hissed, angrily.

"Then why condemn a piteous creature so swiftly to death?"

"Piteous?" Legolas spat. "You pity him?"

Aragorn heard the exasperated sigh and knew the Elf was riled by more than anger. Legolas' mind was with those who had died that night in Mirwood protecting this creature. He was afraid the Fellowship might face the same fate if they kept Gollum with them. His fear for their safety mixed with his pride quickly turned to bitterness "Tell me, 'Captain' Faramir," he asked, using the title as a slur, "what would be your judgement if an enemy spy infiltrated Gondor's refuge? You would kill him, and do not deny it!"

"I would not wish to deny it," Faramir answered coolly, and Aragorn saw that the man's stoic control of his emotions further irritated the Elf. "But I do not kill in haste or without reason."

Aragorn decided to stop the situation before it escalated. "We will decide nothing until I have spoken to the others," he said glancing sternly at both of them, as if daring them to protest. Then he spoke more quietly, his voice betraying his weariness, "It is a dark night for such decisions. We will see what light the new day may bring upon our problem."

Faramir looked ashamed, having heard the exhaustion in Aragorn's voice. His face, that had been intense during the argument, darkened to the blank expression of the past days. He looked as tired as Aragorn felt.

Aragorn turned his back to them both, not missing the angry hurt still blazing in Legolas' eyes. He had quite forgotten their purpose in going down to the shore, and would have left the boats where they were. But as he turned he stopped short, finding Frodo standing before him.

"Frodo!" he began. But the Hobbit interrupted him.

"You cannot kill Gollum, Aragorn. You cannot!"


The night progressed slowly, and Legolas watched the dawn with quiet anger that burned within him. The red light growing on the horizon was very like his own frustration, eager to vent itself yet unable to do so.

His body felt stiff, and his back ached from lying on the hard ground. It was not like him to feel so wretched! And he could not help but feel angry at Aragorn for putting his mind to such unrest. It was Aragorn's duty to make decisions for them, but his friend had not heeded his advise and he felt betrayed. His mind admonished him for blaming Aragorn, but his own pride seethed with hurt.

Behind him he could here the quiet snores of one of the Hobbits, and Gimli's animal-like snorts. He would have smiled, but his heart felt heavy with the knowledge that the creature for who his friends had died was sharing camp with them.

Gollum seemed to be asleep, though Legolas did not trust the creature enough to check. He could not see the pale, haunted eyes, though knew that Gollum was most likely awake, waiting for an opportunity to escape.

Legolas could not understand Aragorn's reasoning. Surely they could not take the creature with them! With the boats it would be near impossible.

He looked up at the sky, hoping to gather some serenity from the stars. But dark rain clouds, that even the moon could not penetrate, blackened the sky.

There was a noise close by, and at first Legolas thought it was one of the others talking in their sleep. But the sound came again and this time he could make out the words.

"It burnss. It burns, it doess."

Legolas sprang quickly to his feet, wincing as he forced his sore body into action.

"Take it off, preciouss." The voice came again, and this time Legolas caught a flash of pale light as the two moon-like eyes glanced in his direction.

Legolas realised he was less angry than he thought he'd be at the sound of that familiar voice. There was such sadness in it that he could understand why others had pitied him. He looked down at the cowering creature, overwhelmed by mixed emotions.

"Nice Elf," Gollum said tentatively, looking up into Legolas' eyes pleadingly. "be nice to us and take it off. We won't run, precious, no..."

Legolas shuddered at Gollum's fawning gaze and turned his back, blocking his ears to the pleading voice.

"It is cruel to keep him like this," a voice from beside him said. The Elf recognised Merry's voice and did not turn. "At the Council we were told he was like a Hobbit once."

"What choice do we have?" Legolas asked more angrily than he meant to be, "Would you have it kill Frodo for what it seeks?"

There was a stunned silence, and Legolas closed his eyes, regretting he had spoken at all. Then he turned around and grasped the Hobbit's shoulder in a way he hoped was comforting.

"Forgive me, Merry. I spoke in haste. You are right to be compassionate." He could see Merry' eyes shining with confusion and fear. He cursed himself for being so callous. "I am tired and full of fear for what lies ahead," he began, "All creatures deserve a chance to prove themselves, however wretched."

But Legolas knew Gollum had already had his chance, and destroyed it when he ran and let the woodelves die for him.

"Legolas?" Aragorn's voice startled them. "Merry? What are you doing awake? I was sure it was Sam's watch."

"I told Sam I could not sleep," Legolas said, feeling Aragorn's gaze boring into him. "I have taken his watch."

"You need rest, Legolas," Aragorn said sternly, "You may not think it, but..."

"I know my own strength." Legolas interrupted angrily, feeling his frustration rise as Aragorn thought to give him advise. If Aragorn did not listen to advise, why should he?

Then he felt a rush of tiredness, and saw how childishly he was behaving. He sighed deeply, and searched inside himself for the strength to appear unaffected.

"We should move on as soon as it is light," Aragorn said, glancing down at Merry reasuringly. "We will carry the boats for some distance, until we have made sure we are not being pursude."

Legolas glanced down at Gollum, wondering at Aragorn's decision on that matter.

He heard his friend sigh, "We will take Gollum with us."

Legolas looked away, clenching his fist in anger. Gollum would bring them into danger, he knew it! Why did Aragorn not see it?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List