Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 28 - Divided loyalties

A light shower of rain weaved its way down through the treetops, causing the golden leaves of the Mellyrn to shine with renewed splendour.

Legolas shook his head slightly, shaking free the gentle drops that clung to his hair. He ran swiftly, weaving between the trunks of younger saplings, until he found a thicker canopy under which to take shelter.

He stood then, taking in his surroundings more absent-mindedly than usual. Disturbing thoughts continued to flicker across his conscience, denying him the rest he needed.

He was grateful his Elven heritage gave him the freedom to wander Lothlorien at will, not being burdened by the constant stares and hushed whispers the others of the Fellowship attracted. He knew some them were uncomfortable with being treated as strangers, Gimli and Faramir in particular. Legolas suspected this was because they both held high positions in their own lands, and were used to being treated with respect. Pippin and Merry seemed actually to enjoy the attention, and even Sam, though he remained by Frodo's side most of the time, had several times been drawn into conversation with the Elves.

Legolas himself had not seen much of the Fellowship in the past days. Apart from the time he spent by Aragorn's bedside, waiting for, yet dreading, the time he would awaken, he had tried to find peace to think of what he would say to his friend about his encounter with the creature Gollum in the mines.

He shuddered involuntarily as the words Aragorn himself had spoken at the Council of Elrond so many months ago came rushing back.

I fear he would do great mischief if he were let to go his own way.

And yet Legolas was unsure whether he himself believed Gollum should have been let to live. Mithrandir thought so, and Frodo also. Yet in his own mind he could foresee only grief and danger if things were left as they were.

The rain had slowed to a dismal trickle, and Legolas forced himself to move on. He would tell Aragorn everything now that his friend had almost recovered. All he had kept secret in the mines would now have to be told, even if it destroyed his friend's faith in him. For Legolas knew that had he really been determined to kill the creature, he would have succeeded despite Frodo's intervention.

But it did not matter. All that mattered was to make sure Aragorn understood the situation and was prepared.

He turned his course towards Caras Galadhon, where the Lady had requested their presence that afternoon. Legolas would have to be swift if he was to speak with Aragorn beforehand.

The rain seemed to have stopped completely now, and Legolas took a moment to dry his bow, consciously delaying the inevitable.

It was some time before he came to the canopy the Elves had constructed for the Fellowship. It was set within the courtyard beneath the room in which Aragorn had recovered. As Legolas passed through the trees bordering the space he heard voices.

He slowed his pace and tried to catch sight of the speakers. He was quick to recognise Aragorn's distinctive voice and after further scrutiny saw the other was Faramir.

The man of Gondor had his back to him, and Legolas quickly shifted out of Aragorn's line of sight as his friend paced back and forth. Legolas could see Faramir was nervous by the way he constantly twisted his hands behind him. Aragorn also seemed worried.

"It was not merely to see to your recovery that I wished to speak with you," Faramir said, breaking the uncomfortable silence. "From my studies and interest in maps I know the lay of this land perhaps more than others in Gondor, and so I perceive that once we leave this land we will have to make a choice."

"The east bank or the west, an easy decision it would be for a man without a sense of duty or a conscience." Aragorn smiled wryly, but Legolas could see the worry and doubt that lay behind the black humour. "You are correct in that we must decide, and now that I am well enough to dwell on it, I cannot see clearly what Gandalf hoped for this moment."

There was an uncomfortable silence, and Legolas was drawn into his own thoughts to wonder what his choice would be if he were in Aragorn's place. The future king of Gondor had a duty to his people, but also to the ring bearer. A hard choice indeed!

"I did not intend to speak on the choice ahead," Faramir said. "Although I greatly desire to see my home once more, I will follow you, as will we all. If the Fellowship of the ring falls, so does the White City."

Aragorn began pacing again, this time coming further to the side so Legolas could now see both faces. Aragorn's brow was creased in worry, perhaps pondering the fact that he was not the only one who had difficult decisions to resolve.

"You have left the city in good hands," Aragorn murmured, perhaps trying to be comforting. "Your father and brother will guard her well until your return."

Faramir winced, though Aragorn did not seem to notice.

"My father is a good leader," Faramir began haltingly, almost as if he was saying it more to convince himself than for Aragorn, "and my brother would have been a great example to the people when he came into the Stewardship."

Legolas finally realised the full implications of Aragorn's coming to Minas Tirith. If Faramir was as loyal to Aragorn as he claimed, he would have to stand against his family and attempt to convince them to willingly give up their ascendancy over Gondor. Legolas could not believe such a sacrifice would ever be made.

Aragorn had once spoken to Legolas about Faramir's father. And though he spoke without bitterness or mistrust, Legolas perceived much darker implications of the Steward of Gondor's character than Aragorn would ever say aloud. He often wondered why Aragorn so implicitly trusted anyone so near in blood to such a man as Denethor. Legolas could not question his friend's choice of allies, for certainly Faramir was brave and loyal to his friends. Legolas only wished Aragorn would take more care over who he trusted to support him. He had no doubt that when put to the first test of loyalty this man would forsake Aragorn in favour of his own father.

"I know what troubles you, Faramir," Aragorn said gravely, "And I also know your father."

Faramir looked bemused.

"Denethor is a proud ruler of whom it would take great lengths to prove such a worth as mine. And though you speak in admiration of your brother I perceive he is also a proud man and loyal to his father above all."

Faramir nodded. "I only wished to warn you that if at last you come to the gates of your city, you may find them barred against you."

Legolas pressed his lips together in disgust. Were men so foolish and proud that they would refuse to accept the one man who could save their lands and restore peace?

"I appreciate your concern," Aragorn said after a moment, "but fear not. I would never force you to decide where your loyalties lie. If ever I enter the citadel of Minas Tirith, it will be by the will of the people and the grace of the Steward."

Legolas wondered whether Aragorn knew just how much he was promising.

"I will leave you to your rest," Faramir said quietly. "You should recover your strength for the council."

"Until then," Aragorn inclined his head before turning to the curved stair that led up to his room, leaning heavily on the carved banister.

Legolas watched silently until Aragorn had ascended half the stair. He would follow presently. Perhaps the privacy of Aragorn's chamber would help unburden him of his worries. Legolas rose from his crouch, and started slightly when he realised Faramir was walking directly towards him.

Legolas saw his chance to ask the man the question that had been burning in his mind ever since Aragorn had spoken aloud of loyalties. Slowing his breathing, Legolas waited silently behind a tree until the man was nearly upon him.

Then he stepped onto the path. He caught the slight intake of breath that proved he had taken the man by surprise.

"Legolas." Faramir breathed out slowly, and Legolas noticed the confusion in the other's eyes. "I did not expect to meet anyone."

Now that it had come to the point, Legolas hardly knew how to begin. His suspicions of what the man could be always seemed to fall away when he looked the other in the eyes. Sincerity. Legolas found it difficult to distrust Faramir, but knowing of his father, and men in general, he had taken it upon himself to make sure Aragorn would not be betrayed.

He licked his lips uneasily, wondering how he could begin the conversation without resorting to open accusations.

"I wished to thank you," he began at last, noting the way Faramir raised an eyebrow in confusion. "For not betraying my trust over what we discussed in the mines."

Faramir smiled slightly, "You said then you did not trust me."

Legolas said nothing.

"Ah," came the short reply. "After all we have accomplished as a fellowship, still you cannot believe I would see my father step down and have Aragorn take his place."

Legolas felt a hot flush creep into his face. How could Faramir have known he had been watching? "Aragorn said he would never ask you to place your loyalty... never make you choose."

"And you wish to know where I would stand." It was a statement, and once again Legolas said nothing in reply.

"Aragorn is fortunate to have such a loyal friend watching his back," Faramir was smiling again, but Legolas did not miss the effort to change the subject.

Moving faster than any man could follow, Legolas shoved Faramir against the tree he had previously been hiding behind, holding him there with his forearm across the man's chest.

"Do not take me for a fool," he whispered harshly, suddenly realising they might be overheard by Elves or others of the Fellowship. Faramir made no move to escape from the Elf's grasp, and Legolas felt slightly guilty as he noticed Faramir grimace from the wounds on his back as they were crushed against the tree. He loosed his hold slightly. "Aragorn would not believe you would betray him, but I cannot beleive any man would hand such power freely to another."

"The power is not mine to give or retain," Faramir replied steadily.

"You are your father's son." Legolas thought he saw Faramir wince slightly and knew himself to be on target. "Would you? Would you really stand against your father, your brother, to support a wanderer from the north?"

Their eyes met. Legolas could not read the other's face. Sadness? Determination?

"Legolas? Faramir?"

The voice startled them both, and Legolas felt Faramir start through the arm that still held the man to the tree. He released him quickly.

"Frodo!" Legolas looked down at the Hobbit, wondering how he had been able to sneak up on them.

"You must excuse me," Frodo said, moving to step past the two taller figures, "I did not mean to interrupt."

"You did not interrupt anything, Frodo," Faramir said, meeting Legolas' eyes with a hard stare. "We were just talking."

It was almost as though Faramir wanted Frodo to suspect something, and indeed the Hobbit turned on both of them a look that held both understanding and regret. Legolas inwardly cringed under the Hobbit's honest gaze. This halfling carried the burden for them all, and that was why they were here. Legolas had been looking too far ahead, trying to prevent the turns of fate from taking their course. But his efforts would be futile, and he knew it now. Unless the Fellowship completed their quest there would be no future to worry about.

"If our discussion is finished, Legolas," Faramir said, bowing his head to each of them in turn, "I will prepare myself for the council."

Legolas watched him go, feeling dazed and confused.

Frodo looked up at him, as if sensing the Elf's distress. "Why is it you do not trust him?"

Legolas dropped to one knee, as he had seen Aragorn do on occasions, so their eyes could meet at the same level. "I will not see either you or Aragorn hurt."

Frodo put his hand on the Elf's shoulder and spoke with such conviction and such belief in the truth of his words that Legolas found it hard not to believe them. "You need not fear, you know. Faramir is all right."

Legolas did not know what to say. He wished to believe it but had always been slow to trust. Until that time came, Legolas would not let his guard down.

"I am sorry," he answered haltingly. "I'm sure you are right, I was merely overreacting."

"There is no need to apologise," Frodo assured him. "We all have burdens to carry, some greater than others. You have been so strong for us in the past weeks, you deserve now to rest."

Legolas felt terrible that Frodo should be worrying about him when clearly the Hobbit was under more strain than any of them. He tried to smile and lighten the mood, "Elves do not need sleep."

"I did not speak of sleep. Perhaps you should speak with Aragorn. I will see you at the council." Frodo moved away, leaving Legolas kneeling on the soft grass.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List