Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 26 - In high places

Sam could not sleep. Hobbits were not made for sleeping so high off the ground! It was early morning, by his reckoning, but the three Hobbits beside him were still sleeping soundly. He turned over for the hundredth time that night as he tried to block the fear of falling, and the concern for his companions from his mind.

But it was no use. Whenever he closed his eyes he saw Frodo's pale face, then Aragorn's, and could not help fretting over the consequences of the Orc attack. He could almost feel the presence of the Orcs near to him, although the Elf, Haldir, and his silent brothers had helped destroy all of them. He had been so afraid when the Orcs had come upon them. He had been afraid for Frodo, that the Orcs could have discovered what he was carrying, for Faramir, when the Orcs had found Gandalf's sword, and for Strider, who had come so close to death that Sam could hardly believe the three Elves had saved them in time. There was also a feeling inside him that he should have done more to help defend the Fellowship. Although he had fought along with all the rest, he felt guilty that the Hobbits always had to be protected by the stronger members of the company.

Sam opened his eyes and glanced over at the Elf who sat guarding them in the corner of the tree-house. The faint light of morning shone upon his golden hair and seemed almost to make him glow. Sam breathed out slowly, feeling slightly comforted by the reassuring presence.

He wondered how the others fared in the next tree. He was terribly worried about Strider. The strong image he had formed in his mind of their leader was crumbling with the thought that Strider might die. What if the Elves could not cure the poison in time?

'I will go and find out,' Sam said to himself. Now with a strong purpose in mind, Sam felt suddenly more sure of himself. He scrambled out from the blanket covering him, and being as quiet as was possible for a Hobbit, he crawled towards the place where he could let down the ladder.

Fumbling with the fine rope of the ladder, Sam grunted in frustration as his stubby fingers became tangled in the cords. He jumped suddenly as he sensed a presence beside him.

Orophin quickly took the rope from Sam's hands and, with nimble fingers, untangled the mess Sam had created and let the ladder fall with a gentle swoosh to the forest floor below. Sam nodded his thanks to the Elf, once again feeling awe at the smoothness of every action. He awkwardly shifted one foot onto the unsteady support and began to climb slowly downwards. He was very aware of the difference between his own movements and those of the Elf watching his descent. He felt heavy and clumsy in comparison but knew in his heart that he was a Hobbit who belonged with both feet on the earth, however much he admired those who did not.

He sighed with relief as his feet touched the solid carpet of leaves. The wood was beautiful in the soft morning light, the sun illuminating the golden leaves like glowing insects hovering above. Sam thought of his own garden back home in the Shire and sighed. For a moment he imagined how one of these trees would look if he could somehow bring one back with him and plant it beside the lilies near the garden path. It would light up the whole garden! 'What a perfect place,'he thought, 'to ask Rosie to become . . .' But that was getting ahead of himself. His object now was to help Mr Frodo finish the quest, and he could not think beyond it.

A slight cough to his left alerted him to the closeness of Gimli. The Dwarf was leaning against the trunk of one of the Mallorn trees, his pipe protruding from his mouth. From the irregular pattern of the smoke ascending from the Dwarf's pipe, and his own experience on such matters, Sam concluded Gimli was annoyed about something.

Another abstract design rose from the pipe, Gimli grunted a greeting to Sam.

"How is Strider?" Sam asked, hoping the Dwarf could save him an additional trip up the trunk of another confounded tree.

Gimli grunted again, lifting one hand to rub his temple. "You overestimate the place I hold in this company, if you believe those... those Elves would give me a plain answer to any such question."

Sam was quiet for a moment, wondering whether it was wise to further aggravate a disgruntled Dwarf. But in the end his curiosity won out, "What happened?"

"Sly looks and silence are all I can get out of those, those..," The Dwarf paused as he searched for the right word.

"Those what?"

Sam looked up, startled by the voice that seemed to be coming from the branches of the tree. A moment later Sam started as Legolas dropped, cat-like, from an overhanging bough.

Gimli went slightly red and concentrated his attention to the careful constructing a perfect smoke-ring.

"What were you discussing, my friends?" the Elf asked innocently, rising to his feet. As he asked, he stared hard at the Dwarf.

"We were merely discussing the overwhelming hospitality offered to us by your Elven friends," Gimli muttered, not raising his eyes. Sam smiled slightly at the way the Dwarf wrinkled his nose at the thought of Haldir and his brothers.

Legolas smiled, turning away slightly so that Sam almost missed the motion. But Gimli saw all too well.

"You may find something amusing about your little private conversations about me, Elf. But if I am not wanted, then I will find shelter elsewhere."

"You do not understand," Legolas said, growing quickly serious. "The Elves of Lorien have lived long in seclusion, shunning outsiders. But their grievances against your race have festered, as they have in Mirkwood, and now their laws forbid entry to any of your kind."

Gimli's face grew less agitated but became creased with concern.

"I spoke to Haldir and his brothers on your behalf, and they have agreed to take us to meet with the Lady."

Sam did not really know who the Lady was, but even the mention of her name sent little shivers up his spine. There was magic in this wood, he could feel it right down in his toes. And he did not blame Gimli for not wishing to go any further.

Gimli had opened his mouth to apologise for accusing the Elf of talking behind his back, but from the look on Legolas' face, it was not necessary.

"You may have gained passage, my friend," the Elf began, "but I pray you to be prudent. I am charged with answering for your actions, and your Dwarvish humour may cause offence."

Gimli snorted in amusement. "If I must suffer the companionship of those three. . ." He gestured to the trees above where Sam supposed Haldir and his brothers were residing, "I can at least amuse myself and others who have enough wit to understand my amusing tales."

Sam decided to break up the conversation before it could get any more intense. "Mr Legolas, sir, I was wondering about Strider. Is he..?" he trailed off, not wishing to voice his fears.

The Elf pressed his lips tightly together, and Sam grew concerned. "The Elves have done what they can for Aragorn, Sam. But now it is up to him to fight the poison."

"Could I go up and see him?" Sam asked, suddenly thinking back over all the times Aragorn had risked his life to save them.

Without answering him, Legolas looked up into the branches and spoke some soft words Sam could not catch. The rope ladder slithered down the trunk, and Legolas held it steady as Sam began to pull himself up.

"It's very kind of you, Samwise, to leave me in the company of this . . . this . . ." Gimli spluttered for words, Legolas was the last person with whom he wanted to be left.

"Elf," Legolas finished simply.

As Sam disappeared into the golden leaves above, he could hear the Dwarf grumbling louder than ever.

When his head popped over the edge of the flet, a slender hand grasped him under the arm and hoisted him up to his feet. The flet was slightly larger than the one he and the other Hobbits had slept upon, though the four bodies filling the space made it feel cramped.

Haldir welcomed him as he steadied himself. He tried not to look at the edge of the flet where the lack of a barrier could cause a long fall for a Hobbit such as himself. Sam glanced around quickly, searching for Aragorn.

The other of Haldir's brothers, Rúmil, was crouched beside the sleeping form of Faramir, carefully examining the burn marks on the man's back. Sam cringed when he saw the wounds and wondered whether he would ever be brave enough to bear such pain for another.

He then turned his attention to the other side of the flet where Aragorn lay under a thin cloak. Sam approached nervously. Now that it had come to it, he could not think of anything to say! He knelt down and almost cried out in surprise when the man's eyes suddenly opened.

Sam could see the pain in the grey eyes and saw too the paleness of the usually sun-browned skin.

"Sam," Aragorn whispered. "Did you sleep well?" A small smile tugged the corners of the ranger's mouth at the sight of the bold Sam looking so uncomfortable.

He nodded mutely. Then, uncomfortable in the silence that followed, he added, "But Hobbits weren't made for trees, if you take my meaning. The Elves are very helpful and all, with a nice large supper to keep Mr Merry and Mr Pippin satisfied, but we're used to having two feet firmly planted on the ground . . ." he trailed off, realising he had been rambling.

Strider had closed eyes again, and Sam felt despair creep into his thoughts. They had already lost Gandalf to Saruman, they could not lose Aragorn too!

Haldir and Rúmil were conversing quietly together near where Faramir was resting, and although he could not understand a word, Sam thought he could guess what they were saying.

"We're going to have to move on, aren't we?" he asked, breaking into their conversation. Both looked at him strangely for a moment, then Haldir smiled.

"You are very perceptive, Master Samwise, and indeed you are correct. We have done what we can for the son of Arathorn, yet I fear it will not be enough to save his life. We must take him to the Lady."

"But, begging your pardon, can he even walk in the state he's in?"

"He must," Haldir replied blankly.

Sam felt his face grow red and hot in anger at the Elf's apparent unconcern about Aragorn's welfare. He turned his back, and moved towards the ladder, determined to have Legolas talk to the Elves about moving their friend.


Sam looked back once more into the trees where Orophin had disappeared. The Elf was to stay and guard the border while the rest of them travelled on. Frodo looked back also, though Sam suspected his friend's purpose lay rather in catching the last beautiful sounds of the Nimrodel. Sam was not so enchanted by the stream as his companions, and he had a strong feeling this was due to his aversion to swimming and anything it involved, namely water.

Sam turned to the path ahead, watching the slow progression as Legolas and Haldir supported Aragorn along the leafy path. The ranger had been drifting in and out of consciousness, and Sam felt guilty that perhaps the last words he would ever speak to the man would be about his selfish fear of heights.

It seemed to Sam as if many of the others were thinking along the same lines. All were silent. Even Pippin who could usually think of something to say at the worst of times was staring blankly ahead.

It was mid morning when Haldir led them from the path, weaving between the trees until they came to the river. The very sight of it froze Sam's blood, for he knew they were going to have to cross.

"There is someone on the other bank," Legolas said suddenly, shielding his eyes with his free hand.

"He is one of my people," Haldir explained, "He will help us cross the river. Hold Aragorn if you will, Legolas." Haldir shifted his half of Aragorn's weight so that Legolas could support the ranger on his own. Then the Elf let out a low whistle, like that of a bird, and Sam saw at once the Elf who suddenly appeared from amongst the trees. Haldir lifted a light coil of rope, made from the same material as the rope ladders, and cast it out over the stream to be neatly caught by the Elf on the opposite bank.

Haldir then proceeded to attach two more ropes, higher than the first and about the height of a Hobbit, at either side of the original.

"Surely," Sam spluttered, "you don't expect us to walk across that!"

Haldir smiled, obviously amused, "It is your choice, Master Samwise. You can walk, or you can swim."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List