Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 18 - Pity

A chill wind blew through the tunnels and passages of Moria, whistling and shrieking as though chased by a creature of the underworld. Pippin pulled his blanket up further as though the think material could ward away the evils of the night.

He remembered when he was many years younger, laying in his comfy bed back in the Shire and being terrified the gremlin that he was sure dwelt under it would reach up and grab him. He had pulled the sheet up and over his head so the gremlin could never touch him. How much he would give now *only* to have to worry about invisible gremlins!

The whistling of the wind chilled his blood and he felt alone and defenceless sitting in the dark. Gimli's loud snoring, usually an annoyance, made Pippin feel less alone but he wished someone else would come and sit with him while he watched. He would have woken Merry but he knew his friend needed all the sleep he could get.

He shifted his body and winced as the cut on his leg began to sting again. His mind was haunted with the bodies and faces of the wolves they had fought. He wondered if Merry felt the same way. Probably not, Merry was so much braver than he. Every time he closed his eyes he saw the horrible, snarling face with its sharp and bloody teeth. He shivered and almost jumped out of his skin when he felt a light touch on his shoulder.

" . . Frodo! You gave me such a fright," Pippin slowed his breathing with an effort and looked up into his cousin's pale face. "What is it? Is anything wrong?"

"You did not wake me for my watch, I thought perhaps you'd . . ." Frodo stopped, fearing he might offend Pippin if he continued.

"Fallen asleep on guard? Frodo, I may be just a burden to everyone but I would never . ."

"I didn't mean that, Pip, I just woke up myself and I wasn't referring just to you. Everyone is exhausted. You have done well to keep your eyes open this long. You have taken some of my watch too."

"Oh don't worry about that," Pippin said, back to his old self, "you deserve more sleep that all of us." Frodo was about to protest but instead he ushered Pippin to lie down and himself took his cousin's position a few metres away from the group.


After some minutes of solitude with only Gimli's snores and the quiet breathing of his friends to keep him company, Frodo's thoughts turned to Aragorn. The ranger had been unusually tense and silent since they arrived at the gate to the three passages and Frodo was sure it was the road ahead that troubled him. Aragorn had himself told them that it was Gandalf's purpose to go through the Mines and not attempt the Red Horn pass. It had been Aragorn who had convinced their guide to venture up into the snowy pass where Gandalf had been lost to them. Frodo was sure the guilt of this must lie heavy upon his friend who had only ever thought of their safety.

The other thought in Frodo's mind was that although he had never said so, Aragorn would not know the way as well as Gandalf did and perhaps they were already headed in the wrong direction.

Frodo glanced over at Aragorn's form, his blanket had become twisted around his body from the constant tossing and turning. If Frodo could manage it, he would prevent Aragorn from being woken for his watch. So much depended of his memory and senses that lack of sleep might cause their destruction.

Frodo's eyes swept over the rest of the company. Merry and Sam were sleeping soundly, wrapped tightly in their blankets for the night air was bitterly cold. Pippin must have fallen asleep the minute Frodo tucked him in.

Gimli lay on his back, the glint of his armour showing from beneath his cover. Frodo shook his head, how could the Dwarf possibly sleep wearing chain mail? It was a comfort though, Gimli at least would be ready for any danger even when he slept.

Legolas lay upon his blanket, his bow close beside him. He would have to be freezing without a cover, Frodo thought. Even Elves must feel this deadly chill. He was lying on his side, which also worried Frodo, for in all the time he had known Legolas, he had always slept on his back.

Faramir was the closest to him, his blanket had fallen off and Frodo went forward to help. He knew his friend would feel the effects of the cold in the morning if he did not wake from it now. Frodo reached out gently and dragged the cover back over the man's body. He breathed in sharply when Faramir moved in his sleep, reaching out and catching Frodo's arm. The grip was tight and Frodo saw the anguish in his friend's face. His eyelids flickered with the hidden dreams that were passing through the man's mind, and Frodo wondered whether he was dreaming about his home, his family, perhaps his brother.

Frodo had grown to like Boromir from what Faramir had told him. An ideal elder sibling; strong, loyal, protective, and a born leader. Frodo envied those who had such family to love, for being an orphan, he had none. His thoughts turned then to Bilbo and a great warmth mixed with sadness flooded through him. Faramir grip grew tighter and Frodo was about to shake him awake to rid him of the nightmare, when the grip on his arm loosened and Faramir's body relaxed.

Somewhat shaken, Frodo returned to the rock he had been sitting on and pulling his own blanket around him. He sat there for more than half an hour, thinking that it was almost time to wake the next watcher. Frodo hadn't been listening carefully when Aragorn told them the order, but he was almost sure it was Aragorn's turn next. In that case, he didn't intend waking the ranger and hoped Aragorn did not wake on his own. He sat there, listening to the wind rushing through the caves and after a moment or two, he thought he heard another sound, a low hissing. Frodo's eyes opened wide and he looked around nervously. Two pale lights stared at him from the shadows, he started, then blinked. The lights were gone.

Frodo drew a shaky breath, knowing his fears of the past days to be confirmed. The air shifted close to his ear and he spun quickly, his hand on sting's hilt.

"Be still," Legolas whispered next to his ear, and Frodo breathed out sharply, letting sting fall back into its sheath. "Something is close."

Frodo looked up at the tense Elf, he was frightened to voice his fears because it would make them all the more real. "He is still following us."

Legolas started and looked down at him. The name did not need to be spoken, both could see the dark shape moving less than two metres away. The Elf shot forwards, gripping his knife with white fingers.

"Legolas!" Frodo hissed, wondering in panic why none of the others had woken. He rushed forwards and gasped when he caught sight of the creature.

It was backed up against the rock wall, like a spider in a dark corner. Legolas stood close baring its escape and Frodo had never seen his friend look so shaken. The Elf's face had blanched white and his eyes burned with such anguish as he had never seen.

Gollum was a pitiful creature and Frodo's dark imaginings of the twisted, evil creature who pursued them were disappointed. Frodo was both relieved and disturbed by this revelation. Obviously the creature had been through much pain and torment, Frodo could see it in his bulbous eyes, and he wondered how much was occasioned to the ring. Gollum was whimpering and trying to slink further back into the darkness. His whole body seemed to blend with the dark and Frodo recalled the stories Bilbo had told him of the deadly competition they had held beneath theMistyMountains. Bilbo had felt pity for the creature.

~What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance! ~

~I do not feel any pity for Gollum.~

~You have not seen him.~

And now I see him, Frodo thought sadly of Gandalf's wise words to him so long ago, I do pity him. The creature still made him afraid, but now Frodo felt compassion. Gollum was once a Hobbit-like being, and now a creature of the darkness, shying away from both sun and moon. Endless years of torment in the dark, fearing the dark, but hating the light more, and most of all the ring.

Frodo could feel his eyes upon him. Gollum knew, he knew what lay under the thin material of his shirt. Gollum knew he was trapped and with that knowledge came desperation. With a shriek Gollum changed from a snivelling weakling to a dangerous beast. He had far more speed than Frodo had given him credit for and it managed to skirt around Legolas' body and fly straight at Frodo.

Frodo gave a strangled cry of fear as he was knocked off his feet. Gollum was on top of him, hissing and scrabbling for what he knew was there. "He hass it, he hass it! Its oursss, my precious and you sstole it!"

Frodo heard his shirt tear as Gollum was pulled away by Legolas and thrown against the wall. He felt the urge to cry but held it back with a great effort. He scrambled to his feet and moved towards the others to get help.

Legolas had his back turned to Frodo and he held his bow so that the arrow almost touched Gollum's black skin. "No, Frodo. It will end here and now."

The words were spoken with such heavily controlled anger that Frodo stopped and turned back. Gollum was cringing on the ground, trying to squirm away from the arrow that was aimed steadily less than an inch from his face.

"He will never be able to harm another creature."

Frodo stood frozen as the bow string tightened.

"This is for the Elves who lost their lives to your Orc friends, Sméagol."

"They are not our friendss, no, we hatess them, nassty orcs!" Gollum's protests did nothing to shake Legolas' resolve.

"This is for you, Frodo, and all you will achieve." The Elf's finger loosened on the bow-string...

~He is bound up with the fate of the ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill~

Frodo dashed forwards, crashing into the Elf and knocking him off balance. The arrow went askew and ricocheted off the roof of the tunnel. Frodo landed on top of Legolas and felt the Elf tense with pain as his shoulder was crushed beneath him. Gollum sprang to his feet and disappeared into the dark, leaving the wisdom or folly of his choice to haunt the young Hobbit in the days to come.

~The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many, yours not least~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List