Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 14 - Paths of dread

Aragorn raised his grey eyes to the similarly grey sky and felt the first drops of rain fall on his upturned face. It was going to be a dreary day, the weather growing worse as time passed. He was afraid, although he would not have admitted it. He was scared that he would make the wrong choice. It was not long before they would have to decide their course and Aragorn felt the majority of the burden of the decision lay upon himself.

He watched as Frodo snuggled into Faramir's cloak, the quiet Hobbit obvious in his relief of Faramir's recovery from the morning's scare. The man wrapped his steady arm around the Hobbit, sheltering him from the grey drizzle. Aragorn was yet to ask Faramir what had taken place. All the man had said was that he had had a terrible dream, but Aragorn knew it was more than that. He also noticed Legolas and Gimli giving Faramir strange looks as if they too did not believe him.

Aragorn had to be content to wait until they could get a quiet moment when the Hobbits would not overhear. Frodo had enough to worry about and Aragorn was constantly concerned about the little ones. It would be no good having them being frightened more than they had to be.


As Aragorn had suspected, the rain grew worse as the afternoon faded. The dark clouds above made the day seem even more unpleasant and everyone was in low spirits. They had been stuck there all day, sheltering behind bushes and low rocks to keep out of sight as well as sheltering from the rain. Aragorn paced restlessly, his grey coat drenched and muddy, trailing behind him. The others all sat, leaning against rocks or anything else they could find while eating a miserable dinner.

"Aragorn, I can not take it any more!" Gimli's voice surprised everyone as no one had spoken for a long time. He put his plate on the ground and put his hands on his hips. "Stop that infernal pacing! It is making my head spin. Come and sit down and tell us what is wrong!"

"It is almost dusk, we should be on our way in a few hours."

"You didn't answer my question, what is it that troubles you?" Gimli looked like he enjoyed drawing attention to Aragorn for now everyone was staring at him and Gimli had a satisfied smile on his face.

"Really, my friend," Aragorn smiled, "It seems your beard has grown too big for you boots, I am not the one in trouble."

"What do you mean?" Gimli asked warily.

"It seems as though Merry and Pippin were too hungry to wait for an arguing Dwarf to finish his meal." Gimli's mouth opened in surprise as he noticed his plate had disappeared. With a cry Gimli jumped to his feet and chased after the two Hobbits who, a moment ago, had felt very proud to have got a free meal.

After three times around the campsite, Gimli was out of breath and still no closer to catching the thieving Hobbits. He changed his course and Aragorn had no time to jump out of the way. Gimli fell flat on top of him, growling threats about his malnutrition.

Aragorn scrambled to his feet, laughing along with the rest and handed Gimli his own plate. Gimli looked at him strangely for a moment then snatched the plate before Aragorn could withdraw his offer.

Aragorn was well aware of three pairs of eyes staring at his back as he bent over to pull a blanket from his pack. He knew he would have to face it sooner or later, better that he got it over and done with. He turned and sure enough Legolas, Faramir and Frodo quickly averted their gazes, trying to make as if they weren't worried. Gimli on the other hand narrowed his eyes as he ate, clearly showing Aragorn that the Dwarf was no fool.

He ignored them and walked over to where Merry and Pippin were devouring what was left of Gimli's meal while Sam tried to convince them to give it back to Strider. Aragorn smiled that Sam still used that name for him and Sam looked up, his face flushing red from talking about Aragorn while he was standing behind him.

"I think it would be wise for you three to get some sleep," he said, "It is going to be a long road through the night and you will need all your senses to be alert."

The three Hobbits nodded and caught the blankets Aragorn gave them, grateful at the chance to catch a small nap while the rain was holding off.

"Where's Mr Frodo?" Sam asked, trying to see past Aragorn.

"He will join you soon, I just want to take another look at his shoulder." Aragorn did not like telling the Hobbits an untruth but it was true that they needed rest. Aragorn was also sure that Frodo would not be so easy to escape from. As much as the Ranger wished to protect the Hobbit, he also respected Frodo's right to know what was happening.


When Aragorn returned to the fire he found all four waiting expectantly. Aragorn's eyes shifted over the grim faces of his friends, the firelight casting strange shadows over each.

"We await your orders," Gimli growled sarcastically, slightly annoyed that the Hobbits got to sleep when he had to remain alert.

Aragorn smiled slightly and settled himself down by the pitiful blaze, "Faramir."

His friend looked up, slightly startled at being addressed first.

"I think it is time you told us what is really going on."


The four listeners were silent throughout Faramir's somewhat emotional recollection of his dream and grew grave when Boromir was mentioned.

"I'm sure it was nothing but a dream, Faramir," Frodo comforted, patting Faramir's hand, although Aragorn could see the doubt in his eyes.

"When you have had these dreams before," Aragorn began, "do they ever . . . prove to hold any truth?"

Faramir met his eyes for a moment, then lowered his gaze, giving Aragorn the answer to his question. He sighed, "Your brother is a valiant man, whatever happens you cannot blame yourself, even if the dreams came to you first as a warning."

The words held little comfort, Aragorn knew, but he could not lie and say everything would turn out for the best.

"There is something else, Aragorn," Faramir said quietly, reluctant to give his Lord more to worry about. "When I touched the staff, it . . . was not just another dream."


Gandalf was alive. This lightened Aragorn's heart much, although the thought of his good friend in the clutches of the power hungry Saruman was like knives in his heart.

But Gandalf was not a god, nor was he immune to pain. Would Saruman keep pressuring Gandalf's mind until one time he relented before unconsciousness could take him, or would Gandalf die rather than have the information forced from him. Neither of the options were heartening and Aragorn wished the responsibility of their next move did not lie so heavily upon himself. If he were free to go where he would, he would go to Isengard himself, and if not able to free Gandalf, he would die with him. Gandalf had been the mover of all things, only through Gandalf was his own destiny to become a King a reality rather than a mere dream. But this was the reason he could not venture to Isengard, if Saruman held the heir of Isildur, all Gandalf's long years of planning would be in vain.

Aragorn cringed at what Gandalf must be going through at that very moment and in a way he wished he himself had seen Faramir's vision. But perhaps it had been better that he had not. Aragorn could not help but think that if Saruman had been looking into Gandalf's mind while Faramir had been seeing through the Wizard's eyes, would not have Saruman seen Faramir's thoughts? Aragorn shuddered, if Saruman had seen into his own mind, it would have been the end of all hope.

He drew his shoulders back and spoke in a low voice, "whatever is happening to Gandalf, we must find a way to cross the mountains before either Saruman gets his information from Gandalf or another. We have two choices before us and neither are hopeful or pleasant." he paused and four sets of eyes watched him carefully. "We either pass through the Gap of Rohan, risking passing Orthanc and hope for the aid of the Rohirrim. Or we enter the gates of Moria and seek a path through the darkness. We must decide tonight for we are in a within a night's walk of the gates. What is it to be?"

As Aragorn spoke, he studied the faces of his friends. At the mention of Moria, Gimli's eyes brightened while Legolas paled, his eyes growing dark. Faramir remained impassive and Frodo just seem small and afraid.

"I will follow you to Moria," Gimli said loudly, "It is long since Balin led a party of Dwarves to the mines but perhaps they remain and would welcome us. I have long desired to look upon the home of our forefathers. But Aragorn, will you be able to open the doors? Dwarf doors are not made to be seen!"

Aragorn nodded, he had expected Gimli's support, "This I know well, and we must hope the Dwarves have not been too cunning for us, Gimli,"

Legolas began to laugh and Aragorn realised what he had said too late. Gimli swiped at the Elf angrily, "you may laugh Master Elf but the Dwarves take pride in their secure homes, if Elves had any sense they'd do the same. If any Elf has the wit to open a Dwarven door I'll eat my axe!"

Aragorn quickly rushed to change the subject before the argument could fully get going and before Gimli could say anything he would regret.

"Frodo? What would be your choice?"

The small Hobbit's face stopped smiling and at once he seemed overwhelmed by fatigue, it pained Aragorn to see it. "I do not wish to go to Moria," he said and Aragorn silenced Gimli's protest with a wave of his hand. "And yet neither do I deem it wise to pass so close to Saruman's stronghold." He raised his large eyes to Aragorn's and placed all his trust in the man he had come to rely upon, "I will follow your advise, Aragorn, wherever you lead us and Sam will do the same."

"Legolas? What do you think?"

The pale face was as impassive as ever but the Elf's eyes were dark. "I do not wish to go." It was what Aragorn had expected and he opened his mouth to go on, but was interrupted, "but I will brave Moria if that is the ringbearer's choice, and yours, Aragorn," the low voice shook as he spoke, "if you can lead us through the dark."

There was a uncomfortable silence for a moment as the others digested the unexpected answer.

Legolas coughed slightly, as though the previous tremble in his voice was due to a slight chill, "Though I do not believe master Gimli will cease in his endeavours to convince me of the greatness of the underground, I am willing to let him try."

No one smiled and Legolas' lame attempt at his usual light conversation did not fool any of them. Aragorn was sure the Elf's comment was directed to Frodo to dispel any doubts the Hobbit had about dragging them into the dark so soon after they had escaped from it.

But Frodo was by no means as naive as Legolas had hoped, "Your support means much to me, Legolas, but I would not lead any friend through the torment you will endure if we pass through the caves. You were sent on the quest to protect us, and that you have. To represent your people, that you have also, great honour should you receive if ever this 'business', as Bilbo would say, comes to an end. But you were bound only to come as far as you may, and it seems that if Moria is chosen, your part in the adventure has come to an end."

"Before we make any choice," Faramir said lightly, taking the attention from the Elf who looked decidedly uncomfortable, "we should ask the Hobbits what they think. I do not believe it is fair to keep them in the dark while we discuss matters without them."

Faramir's words again gave Aragorn a twinge of guilt about the innocent Hobbits.

"Quite right, Mr Faramir, sir!"

Aragorn almost jumped from the ground as Sam stepped into the small circle of firelight. "Keeping us in the dark, indeed! Do you think you need to protect us that badly that you won't tell us what's going on?"

The Hobbit's cheeks were flushed pink and Aragorn felt the need to apologise. Sam had obviously been listening to their whole conversation.

"You're quite right when you say I'll follow where Mr Frodo leads, but I think Mr Merry and Mr Pippin might have been consulted!"

"Quite right!"

Aragorn opened his mouth in amazement as the other two Hobbits stepped casually forwards. "You thought you had us fooled, Strider, but you should know by now that Merry and I are not ones to be left out."

"As it is," Merry continued, "Pippin and I have decided that another journey through the dark would slow us down and if we are careful, we could go the other way and perhaps Saruman would not catch us."

"The Gap of Rohan seems the better choice but we will follow Frodo and Aragorn in their choice too."

Aragorn smiled, their innocent way of putting things made everything seem so simple. He might have been persuaded if Saruman did not pose such a threat to Frodo and the ring, and all of them it seemed.

"What do you think Faramir," Frodo asked, reminding everyone that Faramir was yet to state his opinion.

"Frodo, although I fear another journey in the dark, I fear it less than other things. I have seen Saruman . . . looked into his eyes and felt his gaze upon me. And though it was not my mind he tried to read, I never wish to feel that way again."

Frodo lowered his eyes as Faramir spoke.

"I am afraid for you, Frodo . . . for all of us . . . his hate and need for revenge is great . . . I would not see you harmed. But the greatest danger is from the thing which you carry. Saruman has power beyond perhaps even Mithrandir, what would he become if he broke faith with the dark lord and claimed the greatest weapon on Middle Earth for himself?"

Aragorn grimaced after this. Now finally his heart spoke of what he must do. Faramir and Gimli opted for Moria, Legolas and the two young halflings chose the lighter path though the gap in the mountains, therefore his own decision ruled. Frodo would follow him and Sam would follow his master, making Aragorn's choice the majority vote.

Aragorn sighed, he had feared it would come to this. He would be the one to cast the vote that would count. He would decide the fate of middle earth in one word.

"Moria, I choose Moria."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List