Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 7 - Deep under the earth

Legolas felt the cold air rush past as he fell down the vertical shaft. The thin tunnel that he and Merry were falling through was cluttered with dust, webs and other things Legolas did not even want to think of. He felt horrible things brush his face and raised his hands to cover his head, only to have an outcropping of stone strike his arm as he passed.

Merry was yelling while he kept a firm grip on Legolas' arm. Together they plummeted down, until the tunnel ended and the Elf and the Hobbit were thrown into the centre of a dimly lit chamber. Legolas landed on his knees of the hard stone floor, jarring his body even more when Merry landed on top of him. The Hobbit rolled off and while Legolas tried to regain his breath, he thought he heard Pippin whining.

At the noise, Legolas came back to his senses quickly and first noticing the red, flickering light that bathed the cave in eerie light and the unbearable stench that seemed to be all about him, he feared the worst. He dragged himself to a kneeling position and raised his head. The tips of more than ten swords rested less than an inch from his face, their Goblin owners grinning twisted, mutated smiles down upon him.

"NO! Gimli stop!" Aragorn was shouting as the Dwarf struggled with all his might to follow the Elf and the Hobbits into the crevasse. "What good will it do? We need you here Gimli!"

Gimli heard the words but was not listening. His only thoughts were for his friends, who, without him, would never have fallen.

"Let me be, Aragorn!" he roared, "I must help! I am to blame!"

"Foolish Dwarf!" Aragorn tried to get a firm grip on his flailing arms. "Faramir, help me!"

Gimli knew that once they both had a hold on him, he would not get away so he made one last desperate effort. He relaxed for a moment, letting Aragorn think he had won, then quick as a Dwarf could be, he slammed his foot down onto Aragorn's toe and wrenched himself out of the man's grip. With a quick look back, he cast himself into the crevasse.


The terrible stench of the Goblins made Legolas feel as though he would be ill. Not for the first time in the Elven prince's life he felt the meaning of true fear. He was afraid. Afraid that he would never escape the darkness, never see the stars again. Afraid for the Hobbits who lay shivering beside him, expecting him to protect them. Afraid he would fail them. The Goblins were the most hideous things he had ever laid eyes on, they went against all he lived for, his very being.

Several of the smaller Goblins stepped back now that they knew the newcomers were not going to attack them. One of the larger Goblins remained before him, looking down at the Elf with disgust. Legolas could see that while their darkness affected him, the light he held inside seemed to affect the Goblins also.

Only one sword was close to him now and Legolas began to think of escape. Perhaps if he could get this Goblin's sword and somehow fight his way to the chamber entrance, he and the Hobbits could run through the tunnels until they met up with the rest of the Fellowship. It was a desperate plan, he knew, but some plan was better than no plan. He took a shuddering breath and waited for the right moment.

The large Goblin lent closer to the Elf to get a better look at him and his sword moved a few inches back. Legolas took his chance. He drew the long white knife he carried in his boot and swung it upwards, knocking the sword from the surprised Goblin's grasp. He caught the hilt of the heavy sword without too much difficulty and swung it in a wide arch. The large Goblin was slow in response and although he jumped backwards, the Elf's sword slashed a deep cut across its horrible face, drawing black blood. Other Goblins rushed at the Elf, angry that he had dared to wound their leader and that anyone would try to fight them.

Although Legolas found the blade heavy and cumbersome, he managed to kill more than five of the smaller Goblins and wound two others. He made sure the Hobbits were behind him as he fought, determined to escape from the dark. The dark blood of the Goblins coated his sword and his clothes had black streaks all over them.

A terrifying yell sounded from somewhere above and Legolas recognised the voice. Gimli! Before he could think of moving, the heavy Dwarf crashed down on top of him. His shoulder screamed with the impact and when the Dwarf was pulled off him, he found it was barely movable.

Rough hands grabbed the Elf by the shoulders and pulled him upright. Legolas tried hard not to cry out as the Goblin's callused hand gripped his painful shoulder. Blood was trickling down his face and his mind was swimming.

Gimli was being held beside him, as were the hobbits. The Dwarf was struggling violently to be free of the hands that held him and Legolas could tell the Goblins were getting impatient with him.

"No!" Pippin shouted as one of the Goblin's fists slammed into Gimli's chest. The Dwarf slumped forewords and stopped struggling. Legolas turned his head away in contempt and looked to the hobbits beside him. Merry's face was deathly pale and Legolas could see Pippin was close to tears.

Legolas recoiled violently as the large Goblin he had injured brought his face close to the Elf's. Unable to pull away because of the Goblins holding his arms, he turned his face away from the hideous creature and its repulsive breath. The Goblin reached out and grabbed the Elf's hair, pulling it back so Legolas had to look into the creature's eyes.

Black blood still seeped from the wound the Elf had made in the Goblin's face and an angry blaze smoldered in its eyes.

"You are a very stupid Elf," the Goblin growled in common speech. "You'll be punished for attacking us." He gestured to the slash on his cheek and raised his arm to strike the Elf.

"You are not to touch the prisoners!" Another voice Legolas had not heard sounded from behind the Goblin. It grumpily lowered its arm but did not take its eyes from the Elf.

It was an Orc that had spoken from behind and when Legolas' eyes fell upon the newcomer, a chill swept through his body.

Unlike all the other Goblins who were quite short, bow-legged and long armed, the new Orc seemed to be of a different breed. Tall, strong and suited more for war than crawling around in caves. What was worse was that he knew orcs had originally been elves. Legolas was glad the hobbits did not know this.

"These are not just things for you beasts to play with! They are the property of my Master!" The tall Orc towered over the goblin leader as he spoke.

"We are not the property of anyone!" Gimli shouted indignantly and was silenced by a blow to the head from a smaller goblin.

"Did you not hear me?" the Orc challenged the Goblin that had struck Gimli. Before the slow-witted Goblin could react, the Orc's sword flashed from its sheath and the small Goblin's body fell to a bloody heap on the cave floor.

Legolas felt sick as he gazed at the body at Gimli's feet.

The Orc turned back to the large Goblin, "Let that be a warning to you," he said, motioning for the goblins to gather around him. "If you wish to defy my Lord you will face his wrath!" He could wipe out your tiny band without raising his hand. You will keep the prisoners until we get the others. If any harm comes to them I will hold you responsible."

"More of these rats are crawling around in our caves?"

"Orders are eight are to be taken. Dwarf, Elf, four of these," he said, grabbing Pippin and showing his face to the twelve or so goblins receiving their orders, "and two men. Find the men and two of the little 'uns and you will be compensated for your efforts. Lord Saruman will not fail to reward, or forget to punish those who fail in their trust."

Saruman. The name struck Legolas' heart like a knife as he thought of what would happen if the ring fell into his hands. Gandalf had warned them of the danger . . . But perhaps Gandalf had underestimated Saruman. Perhaps Saruman had been watching them all along, even now . . .

Legolas was startled out of his train of thought as the Leader of the Goblins, the one he had injured, wrenched his bow from his back, tearing at his wound. Legolas watched helplessly as the goblins tried to grapple Gimli's axe from the Dwarf's stone-like grip.

He was forced to his knees as a Goblin tied his hands tightly behind his back with strong cord. The four of them were them dragged out of the main chamber and away from the taunting Goblins and the terrifying Orc. The Hobbits were carried under the arms of two goblins, and they were all taken along a short passage and into a smaller room of stone.

Gimli and Legolas were thrown onto the floor with the hobbits following soon after. The room was dark and the only light came from a dim red torch on the stony wall. Legolas felt his heart clench painfully as the Goblins bound his feet. But his pride overwhelmed his fear of the dark and remained silent unlike Gimli, who thrashed about wildly until the Goblins were finished.

The goblins left the room, laughing with harsh voices, and Legolas raised his head to see the doorway. A noise like grinding stone reached his ears and his eyes widened in horror as the light from the passage began to diminish. The giant boulder was rolled across the circular entrance like the moon passing the sun in a eclipse. The darkness brought despair to the four inside the tomb-like room and Legolas' only hope was that Aragorn would be wise enough to take the ring as far from the caves as he could.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List