Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 5 - The strongest of us

It took several minutes for Faramir's eyes to adjust to the blinding darkness of the cave. Soon he could make out the silhouettes of each member of the company. Three of the Hobbits were back against the wall, as far away from the freezing entrance as possible. Sam was still attempting to pull Bill further into the cave and Gimli was at the back, apparently collecting sticks to make a fire. Gandalf stood in the very centre of the chamber and although Faramir could not see his face, he knew the wizard was worried about something.

"What is it Mithrandir?" Faramir asked quietly, moving closer to the wizard.

"Nothing escapes your notice, does it Faramir?" Gandalf said, and Faramir could tell there was a slight smile on his face. "I can hear a voice on the air," Gandalf told him, growing solemn, "Do you hear it?"

Faramir listened intently, searching for anything out of the ordinary. He could hear the low whispers of Merry and Pippin, Gimli's heavy footsteps and the uneven breathing of Legolas behind him. Nothing unusual.

"I am afraid I hear nothing," he said, "but as we climbed I felt a strange presence, as if we were being watched."

"It is strange," the wizard said gravely, "and I do not like it. But it cannot be helped, we must try to make a fire. Merry? Pippin? Will you help Gimli collect some sticks from the cave floor."

"Do you think there will be enough to make a blaze?" Faramir asked.

"I have explored a little," Aragorn said, coming over to them. "The cave floor is full of debris, perhaps some can be of use."

"We've found plenty of wood," Merry said, bringing a small pile of sticks to the centre of the cave. Aragorn bent down to pile them up for the fire and a small gasp escaped his lips.

"These are no sticks," he whispered, his face pale in the faint moonlight, "these are bones!"

Gimli grunted in disgust as his pile of wood and bones crashed to the sandy floor and there was a cry from Pippin as he realised what he was holding. Everyone started talking at once and through the racket, Faramir felt Legolas' slender hand touch his shoulder. He drew back slightly at the touch but the Elf did not notice. His white face was turned upwards towards the roof and Faramir knew his superior elven hearing had picked up something no one else could hear.

"Quiet!" Aragorn had turned his head to the roof also, and silence immediately followed his warning. He looked around at the startled faces of his friends. "Listen..." he whispered. A great rumbling shook the cavern and the rain outside grew heavier. Thunder roared and the black clouds outside rolled like giant waves at the ocean.

There was a shriek as white lightning streaked down, splitting the sky in two. An ear-splitting crack shook the air as the lightning struck the mountain above.

Darkness. There was nothing, only the haunting blackness of the cave. He heard a low moan from the Elf behind him as the realisation dawned. They were trapped, trapped in the dark. They had only a little food and . . . no air. Faramir could hear Sam desperately trying to push away the boulders that blocked the entrance but obviously they were immoveable. The shouts that had echoed round the cave as the lightning struck the rock that now blocked the entrance, still rang in his ears. Everyone was beginning to panic in the terrible darkness until finally Gandalf's calm, dry voice cut through the voices.

"Do not fear," he said, "I will light my staff so that we may see."

Faramir noticed that already a strange luminescence hung around the head of Gandalf's staff and he was about to speak out when the Wizard evoked the incantation for light.

A blinding flash filled the room and Gandalf's staff glowed red. An explosion, louder than the thunder outside, filled the cave and he could not help crying out as his back slammed into the wall. He sank down as the darkness engulfed him


Faramir drifted slowly back to consciousness. He carefully lifted his hand and felt warm, sticky fluid on the back of his head where it had hit the wall. Wincing at the touch, he groaned and pulled himself into a sitting position.

The darkness that filled the cave felt like a smothering blanket. He got to his knees and began crawling along the cave wall, running his hand along its rough surface to find his way.

His knee struck against something and he heard a groan from below him. He bent down and cautiously reached forwards, his trembling hand making contact with Legolas' shoulder. The Elf pulled away sharply, leaving Faramir's hand wet with blood.

"Legolas?" he murmured.

"What has happened?" Legolas asked, his question interrupted by a harsh cough.

"We must check the others. You see to the Hobbits, I will find Gandalf.

A thorough search of the cave found no sign of the wizard. Gandalf had gone.

The Dwarf grumbled as Faramir pulled up the back of his tunic and felt the bruises and cuts beneath. Aragorn had discovered a small crack in the wall that seemed to expel a fresh supply of air to the cavern and had deemed it safe to light a small fire. At first he had been concerned about the flames using their precious air but with the discovery of a hole, or perhaps a tunnel, he allowed a fire with which to examine the cause of Gandalf's disappearance. By the dim, flickering light, Aragorn studied everyone's various hurts and made sure everyone was, at the least, not in too much pain.

Frodo sat against the wall, his head buried in his knees. Gandalf's sudden departure had seemed to affect him the most and although he had sustained no serious injuries Faramir was worried about him.

Pippin had found it hard not to weep when Gandalf first vanished. Being one of the only ones to stay conscious due to his position during the blast, he had crawled around in the dark until he at last found Sam and Bill. Faramir watched as the two Hobbits, joined by Merry, comforted themselves by making sure Bill had not been injured.

Aragorn examined the deep wound on Legolas' shoulder and told the Elf that although it looked serious and was at the moment, painful, the Elf's superior healing ability would heal the wound quickly.

Faramir gave the Dwarf an encouraging pat on the back, "You'll be quite alright, Master Dwarf. You will not let a few scratches hinder you."

Gimli growled and tried not to wince as Faramir's hand touched his sore back.

Faramir moved over to the far wall where Aragorn had found the hole. He began scratching away at the rock and was surprised when it fell away easily in his hands. Wondering how the wall came to be blocked, he broke off more and more pieces of the dry stone. He narrowed his eyes as he thought he saw a pale light beyond and worked harder, his curiosity overcoming his weariness. He drew back as a large chunk came away and peered through the dust and crumbling rocks to find a small passage beyond. And lying in the centre of the sandy floor... Gandalf's staff. It was broken.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List