Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In His Stead  by IceAngel

Chapter 2 - Caradhras the cruel

Darkness crept over the land as the Fellowship neared the towering heights of Caradhras. The sun was hidden behind the shadowed peaks as the nine walkers drew closer. Gandalf was leading the way, his mind heavy with responsibility. He looked over his shoulder for a moment as they neared the top of a small rise. It was strange, he thought, that the fate of Middle Earth had come to this, a mismatched group of strangers, who held the weight of the world upon their shoulders.

Behind him, Gimli and Legolas walked quickly along, immersed in an argument that had been raging for over three days. Gandalf shook his head at them, wondering at how quickly they had formed a close, if not a little unusual friendship. Their relationship seemed to be made entirely from arguments and provoking insults.

Faramir walked a short way behind the Dwarf and Elf. Gandalf was more than a little relieved that Denethor's younger son had been the one to make the journey to Rivendell. His brother Boromir was a valiant man, a leader of men, but inside Gandalf had an idea that Faramir's qualities would likely prove more useful. Faramir had been very quiet the last few days, and seemed to be lost in silent contemplation.

Behind Faramir the four Hobbits struggled forwards as quickly as they could. Over a fortnight ago, during the first few days out from Rivendell, Gandalf and Aragorn had led with Legolas as rear-guard and the Hobbits had been excited and talkative. But as the way got steeper and the track narrowed, it was all they could do to keep up. Gandalf was especially worried about the younger two, Merry and Pippin, for although it was he that had advised Elrond to let them join the company, he was concerned they would not make the distance.

Gandalf had told Aragorn to walk behind and make sure the Hobbits did not stray but it was Bill the pony that caused the most trouble. Although very useful as a baggage carrier, Bill seemed to be one of the slowest creatures in Middle Earth! Sam literally had to push him up the steep inclines.

"Mithrandir? Is anything amiss?" Legolas asked as he and Gimli almost ran into him.

Gandalf shook his white beard and blinked away his personal thoughts, "We have reached the base of Caradhras, we will make camp here for a few hours."

Breathing sighs of relief, the Hobbits threw themselves to the ground.

"Aragorn," Pippin began, "there wouldn't be a chance of some food would there?"

"Good idea," Merry agreed, "I'd say it was time for dinner."

Aragorn smiled slightly and turned to Faramir who was carrying much of the supplies, "What do you say, Faramir? Do these young Hobbits deserve something or should we save the supplies in case of emergencies?"

Before Faramir could blink, the two young Hobbits had jumped onto his back, throwing him forwards. He fell on to the grass face first and Merry sat on him while Pippin pulled out various food packages from his bag.

"This 'is' an emergency," Pippin informed Aragorn, "if Merry and I do not eat, you will be forced to listen to our stomaches grumbling all the way."

Faramir found it impossible to breathe while the Hobbit was sitting on him, not to mention how hard he was laughing at the way they had worked together to ambush him.

Satisfied that they had enough food to last them till the supper that they hoped they would get, the Hobbits climbed off Faramir and Aragorn had to help him get up.

"Whoever said size does not matter is to be congratulated," Gandalf chuckled, "for today Faramir has proved him right."

"I have Aragorn to thank for that," Faramir smiled, glaring at the man who stood by his side.

"I am sorry my friend," Aragorn said, almost serious, "I made a 'little' mistake."

Everyone groaned. "If that was a joke it is the worst one I've heard," Gimli growled.

"I have to say I agree with the Dwarf," Legolas said, a faint smile on his lips.

Pippin who had stood up after his meal pretended to faint while Merry applauded.

"Who would have thought it?" Gandalf smiled, "you two actually agreeing on something."

"Nonetheless," Gimli said, "an axe is better than a bow whatever Master Legolas may say."

"Not so!" Legolas said and everyone groaned as the argument began again.


Gandalf gazed up at the sky above as he kept watch. Dark, menacing clouds swept above and hid the stars from sight. The fellowship had been traveling during the night to avoid unwanted notice and Gandalf knew it was almost time to wake everyone.

He was startled for a moment, although he did not show it, when a dark shape came from behind him. Aragorn came into the circle of firelight and sat down near the Wizard.

"It is almost time," he said, Gandalf nodded assent.

"Tonight we shall be on our way high up, towards the Redhorn Gate. We may be seen by watchers on the narrow path but the weather may prove a greater enemy. What do you think?"

Aragorn replied quickly as though he had come to Gandalf only to speak on this subject, "We must not delay the passage over the mountains, further south there are no passes save the Gap of Rohan and I do not trust that way since your news of Saruman and his desire for the ring."

"But there is another way," Gandalf said in a rapid whisper, "the dark and secret way we have spoken of."

"And may we not speak of it again, say nothing to the others, unless . . . there is no other way." Aragorn's eyes were dark and Gandalf could see something akin to fear in them.


Gandalf looked down at the chasm of darkness to his right and inadvertently shivered. The towering heights to the left made him feel like a fly on a wall, vulnerable and in plain sight of anyone who watched them. Not long ago, a swirling shower of snow begun to fall, whipping about them and flying into their faces. A chilling mist stung their hands and faces, Gandalf could feel the cold seeping even into his boots.

The Hobbits were the worst off, their small bodies were no protection against the swirling wind and the whirling snow.

"I don't like this at all," Sam said, pulling on Bill's rains to make him move. "Snow's alright on a fine morning but I like to be in bed when it's falling."


The snow had become a blinding blizzard, none of the fellowship save Legolas could see two feet in front of them. Gandalf felt fear clutch at his heart, he did not like to scare the others but this was like no natural storm he had ever seen.

"There are fell voices on the air!" Gandalf heard Legolas' fair elven voice rise above the wind.

"And those stones are aimed at us," Gimli shouted as giant boulders crashed down the mountain to their left. "The enemy, it is the mountain itself! Caradhras was called the Cruel, and had an ill name long years before the name of Sauron had been heard of."

"It doesn't matter who it is!" Pippin shouted, seemingly fed up with the snow that was freezing his blood and the ice that flew into his eyes, "it's attacking us!"

"We must either stop here or go back," Gandalf decided, bitterly. "The storm will only get worse as we get higher."

"It is no use trying to go back while the storm holds! This is the best shelter we can find." Aragorn added.

Sam looked up at the cliff wall that rose to immeasurable heights above the narrow path. "If this is shelter, then two walls and no roof make a house!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List