Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Three Towers  by shirebound

THE THREE TOWERS

Chapter 10 --  That Which Is Unseen

“If all the seven stones were laid out before me now, I should shut my eyes and put my hands in my pockets.”  ‘The Palantír’, The Two Towers

**

June 1

“Say you’re very sorry.”

“I’m very sorry, Merry.”

“Say you were a silly Baggins and it was a silly thing to do.”

“It was a silly thing to do, Pippin.”

“Now hot.”

Frodo, sitting on a low bench Gimli had salvaged, lifted his feet out of one basin and into the other.  Aragorn had insisted that soaking his feet in alternating cold and hot water would be good for them and bring down the swelling -- and he had learned not to argue when Aragorn insisted on something regarding his health.  Frodo rather enjoyed the treatment, especially since it did seem to be helping.  What he hadn’t anticipated was that even after his feet began to feel slightly better, no one would let him walk... anywhere.  He found himself wondering if Aragorn had threatened the Men with some dire punishment if the Ringbearer was seen tottering about.

He wouldn’t do that, Frodo thought amusedly to himself.  Pip’s right.  I was foolish, and am paying the price... but I don’t regret it.

Since he had awoken, his cousins and Sam had fairly glued themselves to his side.  But if the truth be told, he was rather enjoying that, too.  There was nothing like hobbits – and their light manner of conversation – to dispel the last lingering shadows.

“At least your feet are clean now,” Merry observed.

“Both you and Sam looked like dustballs when Strider and Alcaren brought you down from that room,” Pippin said, dipping his finger into the water.  Frowning, he carefully lifted a pitcher from the hearth and poured a bit more hot water into the basin.  “Really, Frodo, you should set a better example for any young and impressionable cousins that happen to be about.  Say you will.”

“I will.”

“Now Mr. Pippin,” Sam chuckled, “Mr. Frodo didn’t mean to get all smudgy.  That room is dreadful dusty.”

“Will you need to go back up there again, Frodo?” Merry asked casually.  He had gently washed Frodo’s face when Aragorn settled his sleeping cousin into his bedroll, and it was obvious that Frodo had been crying.  Whatever happened in that turret room had been dreadful, and Merry didn’t think he could bear it if Frodo needed to do any more ‘remembering’.

“No,” Frodo replied.  He swished his feet in the water and smiled.  “I found what I came for.”

“And are you ever planning to tell us about it?” Pippin asked.  “Now cold.”

Frodo grinned, and dutifully plunked his feet back into the other basin.

Merry exchanged a pleased look with Pippin.  Both Frodo and Sam seemed lighter of heart than they had been -- smiling and laughing, and eating with great appetite.  Frodo had come to some realization that was bringing him great peace, and everyone hoped he would soon share what he had learned.

“How are you doing, Sam?” Pippin asked curiously.  “You’re in an awfully good mood.  Did you find what you came for, too?”

“I did, Mr. Pippin,” Sam said softly.

“Another one who won’t talk.”  Merry gave his young cousin a poke on the arm.  “Maybe we should send you up to that room, Pip.  A little peace and quiet would be--”

“Hmmph.”

*~*~*~*~*

Sam had awakened in the early afternoon.  After a light meal, and assured that his master was still sleeping peacefully and was being watched over by his cousins, he wandered outside.  He stood for awhile just outside the door of the tower, enjoying the clean wind and observing the courtyard activity.  Horses were being exercised or groomed, maps were being drawn of the tower, Gorgoroth Plain, and the landscape surrounding them, and the enormous pile of Orc-gear was still being sorted.  Several Men had been ferrying messages between the King and the Steward, and were readying their mounts to ride back to the City.

Sam wandered over to where Gimli stood alone, gazing into the still-smouldering pyre.  The Dwarf held a small barrel in his arms.

“What are you doing, Gimli?” Sam asked.

“This is the last of that noxious liquor the Orcs brewed here,” Gimli said.  With a mighty heave, he threw the barrel into the pyre.  It hissed furiously, then burst into flames.

“Gimli...” Sam said hesitantly, “the Orc that hurt Mr. Frodo... I mean, when you and the Men were carryin’ out all the bodies, did you find---”

“Yes,” Gimli said firmly.  “He is no more, Sam.  You may trust my word on that.”

“I do.  I just thought... I wanted to...”

Gimli extracted something from a pouch at his belt, and handed it to Sam.

Sam’s eyes widened in shock.  “Is that--”

“Yes.  I did not think Frodo would wish to see it.”

Gimli reached a long stick into the pile of dust and bones and stirred, causing a fresh spout of flame to shoot up.

“Throw it in, lad,” Gimli said quietly.  “See it destroyed with your own eyes, and be at peace that the heartless beast who wielded it is no more.”

Sam stared down at Snaga’s whip, lying curled like a serpent in his hands; the sight of it caused his heart to burn with hatred.  He slowly looked up at Gimli, then at the pyre.  With a sudden cry, Sam threw the whip into the flames then stood there motionless, his fists clenched at his sides, until the dried strip of leather had burned to cinders.

“Feeling better?”

“Yes,” Sam whispered.  “Thank you, Gimli.”  He realized that he felt lighter, as if a weight had lifted off his shoulders that he wasn’t aware had been threatening to crush him.

“Sam!”  Pippin stood at the entrance, beckoning to him.  “Frodo’s awake.”

A few minutes after Sam dashed back into the tower, Brengil came over to Gimli.

“Master Dwarf, I found these among the garments, in a bag with other trinkets.  Do you think they are... the Ringbearer’s?”

He opened his hand, and Gimli beheld several small objects – six ornate, well-made buttons, which he recognized.

“They were his, indeed,” Gimli said.  He reached out, and Brengil dropped the buttons – very reluctantly, Gimli thought – into the Dwarf’s hand.

“Here, lad,” Gimli said, giving one of them back.  “Keep this.  Remember what happened here, and what must never be allowed to happen again.”

“Thank you,” Brengil gasped.  He closed his hand over the small token reverently.  “I will treasure this, Master Dwarf, as will my family.  I assure you that nothing will be forgotten.”  He placed a hand over his heart and bowed slightly, then left.

My people, too, will remember, Gimli thought to himself.  He would ask Gandalf, but he did not believe that Frodo would want to see these buttons again.  If he was any judge of hobbits, Frodo was beginning to look forward again – not backward.  Aragorn might wish to have a few of these.  The rest I will take home, and preserve, alongside the Lady’s golden hairs.  Generations yet unborn must be told the stories, and shown proof of what occurred.  The memories of Dwarves are long, and we will not forget.

*~*~*~*~*

It was a merry evening.  Aragorn announced that the Company would begin the journey back to Minas Tirith the following day, and everyone was cheered by the news.  The Men looked forward to hot baths, clean clothes, and returning to their families.

Legolas had been gone for most of the day, and only returned to the common-room when supper was nearly over.  He wandered over to where Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli, and the hobbits were gathered.

“And where have you been?” Gimli asked.

“I have been walking down in the valley,” Legolas said, taking some bread and cheese from one of the platters that had been set out.  He sat with his friends.  “The healing of the land has begun; small plants already take root in the soil, but they need tending... and rain.”

“Alcaren says it’ll rain tonight,” Sam told him.

“I agree,” Legolas said.  “The plants will rejoice.”

“You don’t look too happy about it,” Merry observed.

“How can you tell?” Gimli teased the Elf good naturedly, which set Pippin to giggling.

“I am pleased for the land, but...” Legolas looked troubled.  “The farther I walked, the more troubled I felt.  Ever since the Pelargir, when I heard the gulls... the Sea longing stirs in my heart.  I wish to remain in Middle-earth and see to its renewal; however, it will be difficult to know the joy I did before.”

“You are torn in two – as I am,” Frodo said quietly.  “And you must fight, perhaps every minute of every day – as I do.”

“I did not know you felt that way, Frodo.”

“Whether it be an emptiness from... something... which is gone, or the beckoning Sea, we battle that which is unseen, Legolas,” Frodo said.  “A voice, a feeling... a longing that cannot be ignored.”

“I feel that way, too,” Pippin said unexpectedly.

“Pip?” Merry turned to his cousin, concerned.  “You don’t long for the Sea, do you?”

“Of course not,” Pippin said.  “Well, not that I wouldn’t love to see it, of course.”

“Then what?” Frodo asked.

Pippin suddenly looked over at Gandalf.  “Do you remember, Gandalf, near Isengard, when I looked in the Stone?”

“How could I forget?” the wizard asked.

“You said, if I ever felt the urge to... steal one again, that I should tell you.  You said that such things could be cured.”

“Pippin, have you been thinking about the Orthanc Stone all this time?” Aragorn asked.

“Not all this time,” Pippin said.  “But I do think about it sometimes.  Well, rather a lot of the time.  Can you cure that, Gandalf?  With some kind of magic?”

“No, Pippin, not by magic,” Gandalf said gently.  “There are some longings that must be denied, to whatever extent is possible – such as those felt by Frodo and Legolas – and some that must be understood, such as you wishing to gaze once more into a palantír.”  He looked deeply into Pippin’s eyes.  “Tell me why you took it from me, in the first place.”

“I was so curious,” Pippin said in embarrassment.  “When I picked it up, in Isengard, it just drew me in.  It was... it was...”  He sighed.  “I can’t really explain it.”

“And if it was here, before you,” Gandalf continued, “would you be compelled to pick it up, and gaze into it?”

”I would not touch it,” Pippin said with utter certainty.  “But... I would wish to.  Isn’t that wrong?”

“Pip, everyone has desires or wishes for something that can never be fulfilled,” Merry assured his cousin.  “What shows your true measure is whether or not you let it overwhelm you, or you act on it when you know you shouldn’t.”

“Then it’s all right that I think about it now and then?” Pippin asked hopefully.  “It’s not something bad?”

“No,” Gandalf said.  “Frodo and Merry are correct; we all wish for things that are denied us.  Our strength and wisdom in recognizing that fact grows with the years, and with experience.  We must learn to reach out, instead, for what we can have, and for those things that will bring our lives joy.”

“I understand.”

Pippin smiled happily, and Legolas looked thoughtful.

“And now,” Pippin said impatiently, “when is my secretive cousin going to tell us what’s bringing him such joy?  We’re not getting any younger, you know.”

“Now,” Frodo said, grinning at him.  He looked around at everyone.  “May we go outside and talk?  If Alcaren and Legolas say it will rain soon, I believe them; and I’d like to be out under the stars.”

** TBC **

Andrea:  Frodo definitely did all he could, and then some... and Chapter 11 will elaborate more on that.  Yes, I had to bring out the blankets eventually, didn’t I?  And I’m so glad you enjoy ‘my’ Pippin -- I plan for the story to end on a very “Pippinish” note.  :D

Antane:  Ah, hobbits.  How we do love them.

aprilkat:  Aragorn did need to be there for Frodo, but also for his Men – who have learned a lot about their King on this journey.

Baggins Babe:  Frodo is definitely rediscovering hope as he rediscovers himself – something that will be brought out more fully in Chapter 11.

Bodkin:  I’m very gratified that you think ‘my’ Sam sounds and acts as he should.  Sometimes it’s difficult to find the right ‘voice’ for characters we all know and love.

Coriandra:  Chapters 7-9 were definitely the hardest for me to write, but now the healing can be realized by all.  I hope you enjoy the resolution (and hobbityness) of the rest of the story!

Cuthalion:  The best emotional healing I could wish for Frodo would be for him to be at peace with his decisions and actions, and know that he did his best.

demeter d:  Somewhere in The Unfinished Tales is the story of the Elessar stone, and I believe it’s mentioned that it had some healing powers.  I feel the same as you – it helps to know that Frodo wasn’t alone... and in fanfiction, we can give him as much extra assistance and companionship as our hearts desire.

Dreamflower:  I like the concept that each person has something to contribute to Frodo’s healing – as well as learning something from this journey.  Ah yes, there certainly does seem to be a lot of “bundling warmly” in my stories – and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  :D

Elanor Silmariën:  Aragorn carried Frodo down the stairs wrapped in cloak and blanket, so our brave hobbit was as cuddled as possible!  And we’ll have ‘closure’ with Alcaren’s ring in Chapter 11.

Frodo Baggins:  I think I’ve used up my cliffhanger quota for a few months, don’t you?

Grey Wonderer:  Shadowfax is quite wonderful, isn’t he?  Such a noble and courageous ‘companion’.

harrowcat:  I hope you’re feeling all better!  And how wonderful it would be if the Professor, wherever he is, knows what joy and creativity he’s brought to all of us.

lbilover:  Frodo and Sam are such eternal soul-friends, it’s hard to bear sometimes.  *sniffles with you*

Larner:  I’m afraid I don’t know where Sam’s song came from, any more than Aragorn knew.  Perhaps someone else will tackle that in a future story.  And somewhere in The Unfinished Tales is the story of the Elessar stone.  I really need to research that when I get the time, since I have only a vague memory of its lineage.  I was always struck by that unusual part in FOTR where Aragorn insisted that Bilbo insert a green stone into his poem about Eärendil.

Lily Baggins:  The Professor mentions just once that the King sent Frodo and Sam “into the sweet forgetfulness of sleep” (never explaining how), and that one sentence launched a thousand fanfics!  What fun.

Linda Hoyland:  Alcaren is truly selfless and compassionate, which is probably why Faramir chose him as the hobbits’ helper and companion.

Pearl Took:  Thank you, Pearl.  Yes, Frodo is discovering (to his awe) that he did the very best he could – which will be elaborated on in Chapter 11.

Queen Galadriel:  Yes, fanfic is our ticket to Middle-earth; it helps us to get as close as we can, and learn even more about our beloved characters than we knew before.

SlightlyTookish:  I really love Alcaren!  Thank you so much for loving him too.

SurgicalSteel:  I’m glad this is causing ‘good’ sniffles!

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List