Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Three Towers  by shirebound

A few lines from this chapter were first posted as a short scene in my LiveJournal in 2003.

THE THREE TOWERS

Chapter 2 -- Resolve

“Legolas shall be for the Elves; and Gimli son of Gloín for the Dwarves.  They are willing to go at least to the passes of the Mountains, and maybe beyond.”  ‘The Ring Goes South’, The Fellowship of the Ring

**

May 25

The following afternoon, Aragorn looked up in surprise when he heard that Samwise Gamgee requested an audience.

“Come in, Sam,” Aragorn said, rising from his desk with a smile.  “You are most welcome at any time.  How did the expedition up into the tower go?”

“Bad, sir,” Sam declared.  “It reminded Mr. Frodo of that dreadful place where he was captured, and now he’s got it in his head to go back there.  He wants to remember everything.  Why, I can’t imagine.”

“I can,” Aragorn said quietly.  “I have seen many Men insist on revisiting a place where they experienced a traumatic event, so that they might set fragmented memories in order.  It is often very healing... but some are unable to bear the burden of their memories, and fare less well.”  He sat on a low, wide chair and motioned for Sam to join him.  “Sam, remember what Frodo experienced there; the Ring was gone, you were gone, he was ill and terrified... I doubt he had any expectation of rescue, or any hope left for himself, or for Middle-earth.  He had no control over what happened to him in that tower – no choices, no freedom.  Returning of his own free will is very courageous, and may bring him great peace.”

“You don’t know what it was like,” Sam murmured.

“No, I don’t,” Aragorn said gently.  “Have you told him of your concerns?”

“’Course I have,” Sam sighed.  “But you know Mr. Frodo; he could barely walk after climbin’ all those stairs yesterday, but there’s no holdin’ him back once he gets an idea into his stubborn head.  He’s asked Alcaren to see if there are any ponies in the City besides the one the riders brought here for Mr. Merry.”

“His stubbornness – and your strength and love – saved us all, Sam,” Aragorn reminded him.  “No Orcs have been spotted anywhere along the Morgul Road, and I have patrols out as well as workmen.  There have been no incidents.  If Frodo is determined to go, I will arrange for horses, a well-armed escort, and---”

You have to come sir,” Sam blurted out.

“Sam, I underst---"

“Strider, please come,” Sam said desperately.  “I can’t explain it, but Mr. Frodo’ll need you.  I just know it.”  He got to his feet and began to pace agitatedly back and forth.  “It was an awful place, sir, just awful.  The dead Orcs will still be there, I suppose, all those bodies everywhere... the front door is just rubble, since the Lady’s glass made those horrid statues crumble so, and Mr. Frodo was... was whipped, and...”  He started weeping, unable to go on.

The King strode quickly over to Sam, knelt, and pulled the distraught hobbit into his arms.  He glanced for a moment back at his desk, piled high with scrolls and books, rebuilding plans, appointments, and messages from envoys – all awaiting his time and attention.  But they could wait, and other, more important things, could not.  “For Frodo!” he heard echo through his thoughts.  He trusted Sam’s instincts about Frodo even above his own.  If Sam sensed that he needed to be there... if Frodo had the courage to return to Cirith Ungol...

“Strider?” Sam asked pleadingly.

“All right,” Aragorn said softly. “Be at ease, Sam.  I will leave Faramir here as Steward, and come with you.”

“Thank you,” Sam gasped, wiping his eyes.  “And will you come check on Mr. Frodo later?”

“I was planning to do so.  And I will ask leave to accompany him, as I did in Bree.  Hopefully, he will not be too stubborn to allow it.”

“Allow it?” Sam asked, puzzled.  “But... you’re the king now.”

“I am,” Aragorn said softly, “and Frodo is an honored guest, and a free citizen of the West.  I will not order his coming and going, or impose myself on him as a companion if he does not wish it.”

“He’ll wish it,” Sam said with a firmness that brought a smile to Aragorn’s face.  Sam bowed and took his leave, and Aragorn’s smile slowly faded.  Frodo’s experience in the Tower had been traumatic, to say the least – perhaps more than any of them guessed, or Frodo even remembered.  He suspected that on this journey about to be undertaken, many things would be revealed about which Frodo and Sam had never spoken... and much would be faced when Frodo stood once more in the room of his torment.

Aragorn took a deep breath and stood up, then went to find his Steward; there was much to be done in preparation.  The physical journey would be short... but he knew firsthand that the difficulties of many journeys were not always judged in distance alone, but in the hearts and minds of those who undertook them.

*~*~*~*~*

As the sun began to set that day, Aragorn paid a visit to the house where his friends were dwelling.  Alcaren bowed deeply and bid him enter.

“Merry and Pippin are ‘out and about’, as they call it,” Alcaren told him, “and the hobbits’ Companions are due back later this evening.  You will find Sam and Frodo inside, sir.”  He was clearly uncomfortable calling the Ringbearers by their first names, but Aragorn smiled at him and clasped the Man on his arm.

“The hobbits speak well of you, Alcaren,” Aragorn said warmly.  “You have gained their trust and friendship, and my thanks.”

“It is a pleasure to serve them – and you – sir.”  Alcaren smiled his pleasure.  Faramir had recommended him for this duty, and Alcaren was most grateful that the Lord Steward and the King himself entrusted their friends into his care on those occasions when the wizard, elf, and dwarf were elsewhere in the City.  Escorting the small heroes when required, and seeing to it that their needs were met -- for books, provisions, tales, information, or ensuring safety or privacy -- brought more joy and purpose into his life than he had known since the untimely death of his wife. 

Aragorn entered the house, in which equally enticing fragrances of supper cooking and the flower-laden garden competed delightfully.  Calling out softly, he heard Sam answering him from Frodo’s room.  He found Frodo sitting on his bed, his feet propped up on a pillow.  Sam hovered nearby, ringing out a cloth in a bowl of cool water.

“Strider!” Sam cried in delight.  Relief showed in his eyes as the King entered the room.  “Mr. Frodo’s got a headache, and his feet are awful sore,” he continued before Frodo could speak.  “I warned him he should rest in bed today, but he would go explorin’.  Won’t even lie down, even when---”

“Sam,” Frodo chuckled, “there’s no need to speak about me as if I wasn’t here.  It’s barely a headache.  A bit of supper will see me right.”   He smiled up at Aragorn.  “To what do we owe the honor of this visit, Your Majesty?”

“Keep that up, and I’ll have to start calling you ‘Ringbearer’,” Aragorn smiled back.  “I heard that you climbed a good many stairs yesterday; can’t I check on my favorite patient once in a while?”

“Hmm,” Frodo said suspiciously.

Aragorn felt Frodo’s brow for fever and, finding none, sat next to Frodo to check his feet.  Frodo flinched slightly, then relaxed as Aragorn’s fingers massaged his feet very gently, easing the soreness.  Aragorn thought about the fact that Sam’s feet had healed so much more swiftly than Frodo’s.  As he and Gandalf had feared, Frodo's body could no longer recover as rapidly as before his near-death in Mordor.  The Ring had gone, and taken more with It than he dared think about.

"A few days off your feet should work wonders," Aragorn said.  “I promise you, Frodo, that the City will still be here when you’re well enough to investigate every inch of it.”

“I’ll hold you to that.”  Frodo frowned suddenly.  “You left the bedroom door open.”

“Do you wish me to close it?” Aragorn asked, puzzled.

"Aragorn, it's undignified for the High King of the Reunited Kingdoms to be rubbing the feet of a battered hobbit. What if Alcaren should see you?"

"I should be honored to be seen in your service, Frodo."

Frodo shook his head. "Honestly, sometimes you just make no sense at all."

Aragorn grinned and stood up.

“I appreciate your visit, but I’m certain that the state of my feet cannot be the only reason for it,” Frodo said with a knowing smile.  “I assume you have heard about my plan; are you here to talk me out of it?”

“No,” Aragorn replied.  “If you feel the need to take this journey, my friend, that is reason enough.  I am here to offer you my companionship along the way.”

“Truly?” Frodo asked joyfully.

“And we offer ours,” suddenly came a soft voice from the doorway.  Legolas entered the room, followed by Gimli.

“Welcome back,” Frodo smiled happily.  “We have missed you, and Gandalf.”

“And we have missed all of you,” Gimli said, “although I have gained much information from our explorations.”  He addressed Aragorn.  “Citizens not otherwise engaged in planting or trade have begun the tasks of repairing the buildings and inner walls.  Once my folk arrive, the work will go more swiftly.  The City gate, however, will take much more time, and materials.”

“Are you well, Frodo?” Legolas inquired.  “You are seldom abed at this early hour.”

“I’m fine,” Frodo assured him.  “Legolas, what did you mean when you said, ‘And we offer ours’?”

“We were met by Pippin and Merry on our way back to the house,” Gimli explained.  “They told us that you wish to revisit the tower of Cirith Ungol.”

“Such a journey is not without peril, my friend,” Legolas said gravely.  “Perhaps it is a good thing that mortals do not remember everything that occurs.”

“I want to remember everything,” Frodo said quietly, “although I suspect I never will.”

“Frodo, Legolas makes a good point,” Aragorn said.  “Returning to a scene of such trauma may evoke memories and feelings quite vivid and frightening.”

“Remembering so little is frightening to me,” Frodo insisted.  “What memories I do have are... distorted, and blurred.  I lost so much of myself in that tower; perhaps nothing can be gained from returning, but I feel I must try.”

“Well then, this Elf and I have been talking,” Gimli said briskly.  “As you may remember, we never formally pledged to accompany you to Mordor -- save in our hearts.”

“I knew you would come with me,” Frodo said, his eyes shining.  “I knew all of you would – which is why I left.”

“This may be our only chance to see you safely to the Black Lands and back, if you will have us,” Gimli continued, bowing slightly.  “We would very much like to accompany you, Master Baggins.”

Frodo looked up at Legolas, who smiled and nodded.

“Thank you,” Frodo said gratefully.  “Faramir assures me that the distance is not great – taking the Road, of course.  Sam and I went... a different way.”

“We know,” Gandalf said, poking his head into the room and smiling at Frodo.  “Let us forego the path you and Sam took, shall we?  I suspect my old bones would protest so many steps -- winding, straight, or otherwise.”

“You’re comin’ as well, Gandalf?” Sam beamed with delight.

Aragorn saw the happiness – and relief – on both hobbits’ faces.  Frodo had been denied the guidance into Mordor on which he had relied the first time -- denied all but Sam, and Sméagol --  but this time, all of his friends would be with him.

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  I’m so pleased you like/love Alcaren; I liked him right away, too.  I think being around hobbits makes him loveable (or maybe Faramir picked someone loveable to be around the hobbits).  Thank you for your enthusiasm!

Amy:  Yes, I’ve been thinking a lot about these towers, and how alike they must be (or must have been, at the beginning).  We never know where a story idea will come from, do we?

Andrea:  I really don’t think Frodo realizes the dangers of revisiting this trauma, but he believes the possible gain is worth the risk.  And yes, at least this time he’ll be surrounded by his friends.

aprilkat:  And thank you, my friend, for helping with insights for this story.  Yes, Frodo has much to learn from this journey -- but he's not the only one.

Baggins Babe:  And I'm thrilled to be starting a new story!  The hobbits have definitely found a new and supportive friend in Alcaren.

Cathleen:  Thank you so much, Cathleen.  I hope to keep things engrossing!

Claudia:  Well.... there might be a smidgen of angst ahead.  And thank you for your insights for this story.

Cuthalion:  This tale has been a long time coming, hasn’t it?  I’m excited to finally get it started.  Thank you for your insights and help.

Dreamflower:  Frodo’s friends may not approve, but they will certainly support him in his decision.  And Pippin does seem to still be a bit drawn to the palantir, doesn’t he?

Gandalfs apprentice:  I know it can be a bit confusing, but as my summary states, “This story is based in book-verse, with bits of movie-verse interwoven at the author’s discretion”.  Just bits of movie-verse here and there!  :D

Garnet Took:  I think Frodo would definitely remember details from the room he was held in, especially since he explored it thoroughly once Sam found him... it’s what happened in his mind and emotions that are jumbled.

Gentle Hobbit:  I hope the story lives up to your expectations, and I’m very grateful for all your help.  Yes, Sam never has a problem speaking his mind... but Frodo most definitely has a will of his own.

Grey Wonderer:  I'll try to keep things interesting for our intrepid hobbits!

harrowcat:  Frodo and Sam make a great team. Frodo sees something that he feels must be accomplished, and Sam does his best to give a realistic warning – then be there for practical and unconditional support.

jodancingtree:  Thank you, Jo.  "Steadfast yet vulnerable" is exactly the kind of Frodo I try to write.

Linda Hoyland:  I certainly hope this turns out to be an exciting story.  All the characters are in for a very interesting time.

Lindelea:  No side trails here!  If I set something up for one of the hobbits -- such as Pip wondering about the palantir -- you can be sure it’ll be explored and resolved at some point.  But I don’t think there will be any further mention of the guardroom; it was probably used to hold political prisoners on a short-term basis.

Lotrgirl1415:  Oh my, thank you!  If you've been waiting for a story on this theme, I certainly hope this one meets your expectations.

MelanyeBaggins:  Thanks, Melanye!  I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

Niphrandl:  Ah, that Baggins stubbornness.  Few forces can oppose it.

Pearl Took:  I have this urge to explore a bit of the darkness once in awhile.  What an infinite World we have in which to play.

rabidsamfan:  There will certainly be angst... as well as hobbityness.  And lots of Sam!  Yes, he’s just aghast at what his master’s determined to do.

Siorah:  A Happy Dance!  That's a lovely compliment.

SlightlyTookish:  Thank you so much for your enthusiasm.  I’m having such fun planning out this story, and what everyone in it will learn and experience.

SurgicalSteel:  I love how you describe “Frodo having flashbacks to what he can't quite remember”.  Ah, hobbity interactions... my favorite kind!

Telpethoron:  It's courageous beyond words when someone is willing to go back and face an experience like Frodo (and Sam) had.  Strength of will (and strength and love of friends) can work wonders in our lives.  Thank you for coming along for the ride!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List