Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Steff's Yule Ficlets for 2005  by Stefania

Writing Mathom for December 5

Author's Note: I beg the site administrators' indulgence because this PG story takes place in modern times and mentions some modern phemomena.


It was Bob and Janice's first trip to San Francisco. They drove all the way north from Fresno to enjoy a break from the relentless valley heat. Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, Golden Gate Park, the famous fog and cool weather--Bob and Janice experienced them all. And now, as June was in its last week, they decided to attend an event they had only heard about on the TV news--the San Francisco Pride Parade.

With water bottles and taco chip packages in hand, the couple got to Market Street early enough to stand in the second row. Within an hour, hordes of people pressed against them. Were there really half a million, as the Sunday paper had predicted?

Within another hour, along came the topless dykes on bikes, signaling the start of the parade. Janice was a little embarassed. Bob was interested. Then came politicians and musicians and contingent after contingent of gay and lesbian and straight friends organizations, including a group of nude gay men. Bob was embarassed. Janice was very interested.

But what struck Bob and Janice as out of place was a contingent of about 20 females, dressed in historical costumes that revealed whatever they had of cleavage. The women would have fitted more comfortably in the crowd at the Southern Rennaisance Faire. Or one of those Medieval Jousts up in Jackson that sounded like a kewl thing to attend one of these days.

"Contingent 68, Silicon Valley Local: Gay Gondorians?" Janice wrinkled up her nose as she read the large banner carried by the first marchers. "That's weird. They don't look like the lesbians we've seen so far."

"Ahem, I think those gals are 'friends.' Check out the heart before 'Gay'". Bob said.

The marching (heart) Gay Gondorians were followed by a convertible limousine, transporting a woman dressed like a queen out of Shakespeare who waved at the crowd. The banner draped on the car's front end bore the legend that answered Bob's question:

Congratulations to our own Cindy TruthTeller
First Place, JRRT Fanfics Awards 2006

Northern California Branch,
Middle Earth Slash Fics Writers International






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List